Stirring up on Sunday?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Stirring up on Sunday?

Postby Ratatouille » November 20th, 2018, 9:22 am

Will you be doing so and if so waht will you be stirring?
Do you use a family recipe or try something new?
Hva you any tips or suggestions to pass on?
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: Stirring up on Sunday?

Postby Seatallan » November 20th, 2018, 12:12 pm

If Mr S would eat dried fruit I would indeed be stirring up but as it is, there's just no point really. :cry:

However, I have just made a batch of Nigella's Xmas Rocky Road, which I've stuck in the freezer, and have labelled/decorated my Christmas Chutney so feel suitably festive :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 20th, 2018, 1:50 pm

I don’t bother making a Christmas pudding so I will be stirring up Christmas cake instead.

I did see some ready made Christmas cakes in Tesco’s last week, and at the price they are charging it did make me think that it’s just not worth making your own, it’s far cheaper to buy. But, and it’s a big but, I enjoy making my cake (not quite so keen on icing it) so making my own will be done this weekend.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 20th, 2018, 1:59 pm

I don't ice my cake I top it with candied fruit soaked in rum and briefly glazed in the oven.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » November 20th, 2018, 7:16 pm

I'm not a lover of icing these days, but I do like a bit of marzipan. :drool:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 20th, 2018, 9:47 pm

My family are not huge fans of Christmas puddings and cakes, so sadly, the tradition and recipes have died out with previous generations. MIL made wonderful Christmas puds. I love making (and eating) Christmas cake. Icing and decorating with royal icing used to be a huge pleasure. Modelled fondant just isn't the same - though kinder on the teeth!

Maybe when I've retired and have every stir up Sunday free I will revive the traditions with GD :).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 20th, 2018, 11:03 pm

Stir up Sunday has never been a tradition in my family so I have never participated, but I love the concept!

For anything sweet over Christmas, my dad's wife has made me another huge fruit cake in the shape of a loaf. It's been cut up into slices: 3/4 frozen, 1/4 in the fridge for immediate devourage!

I must get something marzipan in. I saw a Stollen somewhere, Aldi I think, either mini or full size versions. How generous I feel about sharing will determine which I buy (probably mini....oink :lol:)
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » November 21st, 2018, 3:27 am

Much prefer my Christmas cake the Yorkshire way, no marzipan or icing and served with a wedge of Wensleydale.
Even though I'm from Lancashire.

My canine friend told me he had made a cake for me.
He remembered how I like it.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 21st, 2018, 7:38 am

Always serve fruit cake with cheese, preferably Wensleydale. Have converted many Lancastrians to the proper way to eat Christmas cake, Although we also still marzipan and ice the cake, maybe we are just piggies?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 21st, 2018, 10:31 am

WWordsworth wrote:Much prefer my Christmas cake the Yorkshire way, no marzipan or icing and served with a wedge of Wensleydale.

Oh yes- wonderful! Me too. :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 21st, 2018, 10:32 am

Anyone ever done the slice of fried Xmas pud instead of fried bread with a cooked breakfast? :hungry:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 21st, 2018, 3:00 pm

Seatallan wrote:Anyone ever done the slice of fried Xmas pud instead of fried bread with a cooked breakfast? :hungry:

What is this thing you speak of? Leftover Christmas pudding?? Nope, never heard of it............all consumed on Christmas Day! :hungry: :hungry:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » November 21st, 2018, 3:48 pm

Much prefer my Christmas cake the Yorkshire way, no marzipan or icing and served with a wedge of Wensleydale.
Even though I'm from Lancashire.

It would work perfectly well with a wedge of Lancashire too. Just like the Eccles cakes at St John. :D

I make a Caribbean black cake for Christmas, similarly uniced, dark, boozy, like cold Christmas pud :chops:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 21st, 2018, 4:22 pm

I have often made black cake (but ignore Delia’s version please) Started on August Bank Holiday, baked around Hallowe’en m, eaten at Christmas. Sometimes iced, the trick is very careful marzipanning 2 or 3 days in advance, and leaving to dry out dusted with icing sugar and uncovered

Mine is good but my ex’s mother made one that was like a glorious cross between Xmas pud and a boozy dried fruit mousse :chops: My recipe is hers but mine isn’t quite as good. I suspect she had more experience, a stand mixer - and a good supply of premium rum out there in the Caribbean.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » November 21st, 2018, 4:30 pm

I've just baked mine, yesterday, and given it a drink this morning before putting it to bed for a while. We never get to eat it at Christmas, but when the dust has settled early in the New Year it will accompany us on afternoon walks.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 21st, 2018, 4:33 pm

The only thing I really like about a Christmas cake is the marzipan and really prefer home made, so I just use that in a plum and marzipan kuchen I occasionally make. I can only eat Christmas cake if I am extremely hungry.

However, I do like to sex up a jar of mincemeat for mince pies and this year's attempt is delicious :chops: I added some cranberries, a finely chopped fresh apple, the zest of an orange, a couple of tablespoons of ground almonds and a slug of Grand Marnier. For the pastry I added a tablespoon of sugar, more ground almonds and the juice of the orange (rather than water) to the flour and margarine … A triumph, even if I say so myself. :bounce:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 22nd, 2018, 12:03 pm

As I've got 'stuff on' for the next couple of days, the fruit for our puddings is sitting in a bowl with brand as I type ... we'll be Stirring Up on Sunday morning (hopefully Jill Archer will be joining us on the radio). The recipe I ve used for recent years is as near as dammit to Nigel Slater's https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... odanddrink

This should make two medium/small puds ... one for DD and one for us here ... but I might 'deconstruct' ours and turn it into an ice cream ......... not sure yet .........
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 22nd, 2018, 3:29 pm

The confit clementines for my pudds are now soaking in rum but I've had to hide them from sir.

I always put grated apple in my mincemeatand both apple and grated carrot in the pud mix. If I want to jazz it up for eg a flan or a streudel I add pecan nuts and dried apricots or cranberries or even candied pineapple or ginger
Ratatouille
Registered

Return to The Kitchen