Gilding the Lily?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: Gilding the Lily?

Postby WWordsworth » February 23rd, 2019, 10:45 pm

Mum used evap in Birds custard, and Dad preferred evap to cream which he declared "tasteless"
He also said salad cream was much nicer than mayo.

Have to say I loathed evap and still do.
It was served with tinned fruit at Sunday tea.
I just had the fruit.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 24th, 2019, 3:46 am

karadekoolaid wrote:I occasionally rail against absurd lily-guilding. My pet hate is a chicken, mushroom and roasted garlic fettucini Alfredo :terrified: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Having tasted the original ( pasta+butter+parmesan cheese), I absolutely, and resolutely fail to understand why anyone in their right mind would want to bastardize such a gloriously simple and tasty dish.
But they do.
So WHY do they do it? I suppose there are a million reasons. Food, these days, is a huge talking point; unlike the 60s and 70s, when people just ate what they were given and were thankful for it. Today, far more people are knowledgeable about food. Then there is Marketing. Selling a product is one thing; but knowing how to market it ( the image, the target population, the vision, blah, blah) is a million times more important. Then there´s Food TV. And Master chef. And our Pop Star Chefs. And the demand for innovation every single minute of the day. And the demand for something "different" on our menus. And Instagram.
I was particularly amused by the menus in some of the (fairly basic) restaurants I went to in Ohio/Kentucky last July; and I felt the "effort" the restauranteurs were making was simply, to be more interesting than the nearest competitor. And competitors there are - by the thousands.
"Stone ground yellow beer cheese grits, blackened shrimp, and Vito´s sausage. Translation: Grilled shrimp on sweetcorn mush with bits of banger in it.
The Alpine: Kansas City Beef with Swiss cheese, caramelized onions and Mushroom demi-glace Oooh! La la!! Translation: Roast beef sarnie with onions, cheese and mushrooms :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Do we really care (or can we even distinguish?) about the "stone-ground" corn? Is " blackened" shrimp more appealing than "burnt on the grill"? Who the Hell is Vito, and do I give a flying banana about HIS sausages? Is Kansas City beef better than Aberdeen Angus Beef? And wot the eck is a demiglace, to Mr & Mrs Smith?
But there we are. In this ever-more-competitive food world, a subtle change may make all the difference to the profit and loss!

Have you ever thought of being a politician? The world's thinking maybe better.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 24th, 2019, 11:21 am

Teresa:
Politicians rate, in the classification of species, somewhere between cockroaches and centipedes. No way. I´d rather be a poodle hairdresser :lol: :lol: :lol:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby wargarden » February 28th, 2019, 6:13 am

some times great culinary discoveries happen like the trifle, chimichanga or buffalo wings.
Others should be thrown into the bin at first sight.
wargarden
Registered

Postby wargarden » March 3rd, 2019, 7:04 am

simple is best
wargarden
Registered

Previous

Return to The Kitchen