Ready Made Falafel

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Ready Made Falafel

Postby earthmaiden » November 30th, 2018, 11:32 am

I was thinking of taking some to a pot luck supper for which I will have no time to cook. I had always had Caldron ones available from Sainsburys and found them quite moist and nice to eat on their own. I have recently tried ones from Aldi and Waitrose and they were terribly dry. Needed both heating and a sauce to be palatable IMO.

I just wondered if Caldron ones were still ok or if any other makes obtainable from well known supermarkets were particularly nice. Otherwise I might just get some nice hummus (I am taking a bean salad and some lentil crisps anyway) ... unless anyone has other good vegge recommendations which I can buy - preferably in Sainsbury's or Waitrose and prepare quickly in someone else's house!
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Ready Made Falafel

Postby StokeySue » November 30th, 2018, 12:26 pm

I think the ones I like are Godh! and they do variations on a theme, I like the Moroccan spiced bakes
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 30th, 2018, 12:39 pm

I like the combination of falafel and hummus in the same mouthful. Co-op do a lovely wrap with this filling but not sure that they sell the falafels on their own. As far as the Cauldron ones are concerned, they were really nice the last time I had some.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 30th, 2018, 1:57 pm

Mmm Tezza, I love the wraps with that combination! Talking of the Coop (not on topic here at all!), in the rtc section the other day i picked up a ready to eat meal which was, as far as I can remember, falafel, almond coconut rice, tumeric cauliflower and a little tub of hummus. It was a weekend I just needed something to eat whilst out and was absolutely delicious. I don't know how much the full price was, quite a bit I'd think - I got it for £1!

Back to Falafel - I haven't seen Godh! locally but will note it. If there Caldron are available when I go to buy I may stick with them.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 30th, 2018, 1:59 pm

That RTC item sounds delicious! I might seek one of those out next time I'm in, probably tonight! :lol:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 30th, 2018, 3:52 pm

M&S do nice Falafel (or I think so anyway).
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 30th, 2018, 6:29 pm

We've enjoyed the Waitrose sweet potato falafel - they're on multibuy offer atm, 3 for £7 as well as their spinach, and beetroot and feta falafel: https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/shop/offers/14856778. Always nice with some hummus :hungry:
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 30th, 2018, 10:14 pm

M&S would be as convenient as Sainsbury's and Waitrose.
I tried the Waitrose ones the other day, they were terribly dry on their own. I'm sure I have had them before and they were nice so maybe it was just a bad batch. The special offer is tempting - it's only a lot luck supper after all!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 1st, 2018, 8:33 am

I usually have Cauldron from Waitrose and have not been disappointed with any of thee varieties until this week when I had some of their Moroccan ones with apricot and honey ... really didn’t like them at all ... very dry and no depth of flavour. I won’t choose those ones again.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » December 1st, 2018, 10:04 am

I find them all a bit dry, but agree with Tezza that they go well with hummus, take both?
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby scullion » December 1st, 2018, 12:04 pm

i bought a couple of dry packet mixes a while back which were quite good (although i did add in a little more chopped onion etc) but have not bought ready made. i've had them at other's houses but couldn't tell whose they were - they were unimpressive compared to home made (which actually freeze quite well, cooked or uncooked).
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 1st, 2018, 12:46 pm

I might take both - but don't want to take too many things!

Will try making one day. Too pushed for time on this ocassion.

Have been interested in your comments.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 1st, 2018, 1:07 pm

I happened to catch a programme by John Torode on ME Food last night, it was on the Food Channel. He was very taken by what he called Fava Bean and I call Broad Bean, Falafel which he ate in Egypt. They were very green as they contained lots of parsley and mint but significantly very fresh
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 1st, 2018, 1:24 pm

I really don't like the texture of the bean falafel I've had, a bit claggy IMO but that might just be because I am so used to the lighter chick pea version

The last time I posted this on line someone said I wasn't entitled to an opinion as I hadn't made them, apparently eating those made by experts just isn't good enough :?

I think ready made falafel are likely to be a little drier than good freshly made ones as they have to be made to hold together well, and cooked to keep for a while in a chiller cabinet, but I have certainly had decent ones
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 1st, 2018, 1:39 pm

We're on a thin line between trying things based on a theme and ruining a traditional recipe aren't we! I haven't studied it but suspect that Mediterranean regions have several variations on a theme made with the ingredients available to them. Hence 'falafel made with things other than chick peas and with a variety of seasonings (But maybe traditionally they are called something else - there are a good few Mediterranean languages after all). Those kind of ingredients all lend themselves to little balls of things that go well together. The purist chick pea falafel is delicious but some of the alternatives are nice too and the moister ones nice eaten on their own. That's my opinion anyway :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 1st, 2018, 2:28 pm

I think most pulse eating cultures have some kind bean or pea fitter or croquette

I have had accras aka floats, both West Indian and West African, very simple fritters made of black eye beans soaked. mashed up with chilli and seasonings and fried, and so on. There are Burmese split pea fritters, which are pretty good.. And those are only the ones I know

The whole fava bean thing is as pointed out previously id confusing. The little brown beans (ful) are the original wild type fava bean (vicia faba) but the broad bean have the same botanic name, it's like the difference between a crab apple and a Cox's Pippin. Americans call the green broad beans fava,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 1st, 2018, 8:29 pm

I really like chickpeas and falafal has always sounded nice to me, but in truth I really don't like falafal at all. I find it way too dry and the texture is something I find quite unpleasant
Catherine
Registered

Return to The Kitchen