Sliced candied oranges

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Sliced candied oranges

Postby Busybee » December 10th, 2018, 4:50 pm

I bought my mum some orange slices dipped in plain dark chocolate whilst on holiday recently.........they were delicious and mum said that they reminded her of the boxes of candied whole fruit that her father used to buy at Christmas.

So, hive mind, what’s involved? Easy, or a right faff and better to buy?? I know that Rats and Moria talk about buying candied fruit which leads me to believe it might be one of those occasions when home made isn’t always best.

What do you think?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Re: Sliced candied oranges

Postby Seatallan » December 10th, 2018, 5:00 pm

I have a recipe for sugared damsons which is the same sort of thing I suppose and it is indeed time consuming. For that recipe you start by preserving the damsons in syrup and once they've been sitting in the syrup for around 3 months you can sugar/oven-dry them (you coat with sugar and oven-dry them for some hours four times before they're ready to eat). I expect there's a simpler (and quicker) method to make candied fruit but I don't have a recipe to hand.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 10th, 2018, 5:18 pm

Just wondering if a fruit/food dehydrator would work for this...
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 10th, 2018, 7:49 pm

You need strps of candied orange peel which indeed is a deadful faff to do yourself, As we live in the world capital of such things it is seemples to do it. Next year, if you want to do some PM me and I'll send you a box of the peel.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 10th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Thanks all, I’m not really into faff so shop bought will have to suffice this year. Thank you Rats for the kind offer for next year.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 10th, 2018, 8:11 pm

I’ve found the strips of peel that you dip half into dark chocolate quite easy to do, so maybe start there? I’ve a feeling that whole slices, with the juicy flesh in place would be more complicated, and require more precision

I think I used a Fanny Craddock recipe but the River Cottage version looks similar, they make cutting the peel sound complicated but I think it depends on the size of the orange- you want sticks all about the same lengths, ideally about 7-8 cm long and very slightly wider than they are thick.

https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/candied-orange-sticks
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Amber » December 10th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Ooh, thank you. A great idea for my 94 year old aunt. I’ll pop down to our local bakers (world famous chocolatiers ;) :D) tomorrow. Perfect!
Amber
Registered

Postby scullion » December 11th, 2018, 12:59 am

A friend of mine made them last christmas. I'll be seeing her tomorrow (today) so I'll ask her what she did - they were lovely - I ate too many.
scullion
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 11th, 2018, 7:13 am

Thank you scully.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 11th, 2018, 1:18 pm

I am certain there was a recipe/method flying round last year on a tv programme …
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Kavey » December 11th, 2018, 5:20 pm

I love candying / confiting whole clementines, a similar flavour but much more wet and moist than classic candied orange rind.
https://www.kaveyeats.com/2012/01/confi ... osset.html
Kavey
Registered

Postby scullion » December 18th, 2018, 2:09 pm

my friend was invigilating last week so didn't see her - but i did today.
she says what she did was: -
finely slice thin skinned oranges,
layer them in a heavy bottomed frying pan with sugar and maybe a tiny bit of water and cook until the sugar is bubbling and caramelising.
remove from the pan, lay them out separately to cool and dry.
dip half in chocolate.

i pointed out that the recipes i'd seen online said about making a syrup, 2:1 sugar to water etc but she said no, that her way was passed on to her by a friend who worked out this way - they seemed to work really well (- but then i don't know how the conventional way works out) nice and candied - and quicker.
scullion
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 18th, 2018, 4:17 pm

Thanks Scully, that doesn’t seem too onerous, think I’ll give it a whirl.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby scullion » December 21st, 2018, 10:42 am

i gave it a go while (theoretically) cleaning the kitchen, yesterday evening. . i sliced them very finely and let the juice moisten the sugar rather than adding any water. some remained slightly sticky but were still rather too eatable - if they were totally covered in chocolate that problem would disappear - and turn up on the hips! (or gently cook them for a bit longer - or put them to dry out a bit more in the oven).
they are part of the five a day, though, aren't they?
scullion
Registered

Return to The Kitchen