chocolate tiffin recipe help

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

chocolate tiffin recipe help

Postby Herbidacious » December 12th, 2018, 6:20 pm

I am making some mincemeat tiffin froom a recipe on the internet (iffy I know) and the mixture seems a bit dry. Can I rememdy it if it doesn't set (before I top it with chocolate.) Just melt some more butter and mix it up with it? More butter and more syrup? Question is, how much...
Herbidacious
Registered

Re: chocolate tiffin recipe help

Postby Suelle » December 12th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Is there a link to the recipe - it would help if I knew the amount of ingredients you'd used so far, to compare to a reliable recipe?
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » December 13th, 2018, 11:09 am

I added some more butter in the end. It was still a bit crumbly, but better a few hours later (...at 1am, when, insomnia yet striking again, I nibbled a bit while waiting for my milk to heat!)

This was the recipe, but I think if I try to make it again I will think about it all more carefully and do a compare and contrast. It could do to be more mincemeat in flavour, but perhaps that could be achieved by adding more mince meat spices. I added a very little Lebkuchen spice that I had bought in Germany but it's not shining through. I used white chocolate.

I notice other recipes add orange juice of booze, but although making the mixture wetter, I can't see how this would help it to set. Maybe more pressure on the mixture before the melted chocolate is added.

Also need to crush the biscuits less, for texture reasons.

http://genuinelycheapandeasycooking.blo ... iffin.html
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 13th, 2018, 11:44 am

I've never seen a tiffin / fridge cake recipe like that - in my experience the point is that the melted chocolate is mixed into the other ingredients, and is what holds it all together.. I'm also not convinced by the use of milk chocolate alone

Certainly the Costa coffee version is made that way, and it's so rich you need a friend to share it with!

Here's Paul A Young's recipe, which is probably tested, and which is more what I expect

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/chocolate-recipes/paul-youngs-delicious-chocolate-tiffin-recipe/
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 13th, 2018, 12:15 pm

There are plenty of recipes on google, including the first one that comes up when you google it - a BBC one, that don't have chocolate in them, Sue - besides cocoa. I did check this.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/342921 ... ate-tiffin

however adding melted to the chocolate mixture seems like a no brainer really.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 13th, 2018, 3:06 pm

Herbidacious wrote:There are plenty of recipes on google, including the first one that comes up when you google it - a BBC one, that don't have chocolate in them, Sue - besides cocoa. I did check this.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/342921 ... ate-tiffin

however adding melted to the chocolate mixture seems like a no brainer really.

That's a reader submitted recipe - not a Good Food tested one! :lol: It may be just as bad.

I was going to try this non-chocolate tiffin type of Christmas cake, but someone who's already made and tried it said it was very crumbly:
https://timetocookonline.com/2018/11/22 ... tmas-cake/

As you say, there are lots of recipes around, but how well they work without chocolate (or marshmallows) in the mixture to set it, is anybody's guess.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » December 13th, 2018, 3:51 pm

I bet Usborne (company I work for) has one... I'd have gone straight for one in a book were it not for the mincemeat element. I am happy to improvise with recipes, but usually only when I have some experience of doing the basics.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 13th, 2018, 4:07 pm

Was the heat of the butter and sugar mixture enough to melt the suet (or other fat) in the mincemeat? If that didn't melt it might affect how the mixture sets.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » December 13th, 2018, 10:35 pm

It's not turned out too badly in the end, but it's not as lovely as I had hoped it would be :?

44488476860_6411df785d_z.jpg
Last edited by Herbidacious on December 14th, 2018, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 14th, 2018, 8:15 am

I'm sure it tastes good, which is the main thing!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » December 14th, 2018, 4:18 pm

It's ok Suelle. Nothing special.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 14th, 2018, 4:46 pm

Maybe it's just not the best vehicle for mincemeat flavours. I find the flavour often needs boosting bit when mincemeat is added to cakes or things like flapjacks - extra spice and perhaps more dried fruit too. Strange really, as I often 'dilute' mincemeat with things like more apple when I make mincepies - although that's often to reduce the sweetness rather than the flavour.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » December 14th, 2018, 4:54 pm

Perhaps that's it Suelle ... when contrasted with the relative 'plain ness' of pastry the mincemeat flavour sings through ... when combined with the extreme sweetness of chocolate, especially white chocolate, it's rather overwhelmed ............. maybe?
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 14th, 2018, 5:42 pm

Yes my thoughts were to maybe just add mincemeat spices. Or maybe the whole idea is misguided... black cherries might be nice in it...

I do seem to try to make things difficult for myself :) (But I like a challenge.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 14th, 2018, 5:49 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Yes my thoughts were to maybe just add mincemeat spices. Or maybe the whole idea is misguided... black cherries might be nice in it...

I do seem to try to make things difficult for myself :) (But I like a challenge.)

If you go back to the basic idea of tiffin being biscuits, nuts and fruit in a chocolate base, then dried sour cherries would be a good addition.

You don't need mincemeat to give a festive flavour - I like the combination of dried cranberries and apricots with chopped glacé (or crystallised) ginger at this time of year. I'd usually avoid white chocolate but white tiffin could look good with the right colourful fruits added. :)
Suelle
Global Moderator

Return to The Kitchen