Duck, goose fat or lard.....

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Duck, goose fat or lard.....

Postby northleedsbhoy » December 20th, 2018, 10:29 pm

for roast potatoes? Often pondered which is best. My mum always used lard and I've continued to do the same however I've had them made with both duck and goose fat and, to be honest, I think I prefer using lard but I'm open to persuasion. Any views appreciated.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Re: Duck, goose fat or lard.....

Postby StokeySue » December 20th, 2018, 11:36 pm

To be honest I think as long as the fat can be got to the right temperature and held there without smoking <look over shoulder and whispers> It doesn’t really matter

Maybe I should get me coat....

I tend to use duck or goose fat, I really can’t tell the difference between those two. But I’ve made really good roasties using sunflower oil (which people tell me is not possible), works well as long as the spuds are well dried off and a generous amount of oil. Had to use oil for veggies of course. Think Gordon Ramsay favours beef dripping? Mum used white shortening (Cookern, Trex etc) also a good veggie option

I think the variety of potato makes a huge difference, I favour Maris Piper, or King Edward.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 21st, 2018, 7:50 am

I agree, SSue. I buy a jar of duck or goose fat for Christmas but don't replenish it once used up. And I, too, have made successful roast potatoes with oil.

I usually buy Desirée as a winter 'all-round' potato, but might buy King Edwards for a special occasion.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Busybee » December 21st, 2018, 7:56 am

I use rapeseed oil throughout the year, goose fat at Christmas and once used up back to oil.

If I say so myself I make great roasties, the right spud and temperature and Bobs your uncle.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 21st, 2018, 10:08 am

StokeySue wrote:To be honest I think as long as the fat can be got to the right temperature and held there without smoking <look over shoulder and whispers> It doesn’t really matter

I agree. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » December 21st, 2018, 10:09 am

I tend to use goose fat as we've got lots at Christmas, but also use other dripping and sometimes rapeseed oil (the cheap, refined non-smelly stuff) if catering for veggies.

Variety tends to be Cara (some of the other good ones struggle with scab on the plot) par boiled and allowed to dry. I find they are crisper if I do that the night before so they're properly dried. Agree, don't stint on the fat and don't forget the salt.

I sometimes overcrowd them in the tin if catering for lots of people, they then take a bit longer to crisp, so have to be patient. Haven't always done that right.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 21st, 2018, 10:21 am

Suelle wrote:I usually buy Desirée as a winter 'all-round' potato, but might buy King Edwards for a special occasion.

I buy potatoes from my local Morrison’s and seldom seem to see Desiree The special Christmas offer was something called Lanorma, which are the kind of potatoes that look like a bag of eggs; I googled and can’t even find an indication of what the best use is but I don’t think what one website classified as smooth potatoes are good for frying or roasting, the e ample recipe wS cubed in a curry I got a bag of King Edwards in mixed sizes, so I can use them for various things
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 21st, 2018, 11:40 am

IIRC Lanorma tend towards being waxy rather than fluffy ... I think
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 21st, 2018, 1:34 pm

I think it is indeed the potato variety which is more important than the cooking fat/oil. Anything other than rapeseed which I find downright unpleasant. I have also that white fats have rather too much palm oil for my liking so I have gone back to lard for pastry.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 22nd, 2018, 1:55 pm

I have used oil very successfully for years without any complaints. Different fats have different flavours, I am not so keen on lard or rapeseed oil or chicken fat but goose and duck are very nice and you can buy it easily.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » December 22nd, 2018, 2:25 pm

Unspecified vegetable oil tends to be rapeseed these days, at least here, but doesn't have the same (unpleasant IMO) aroma and flavour as the expensive cold pressed ones. I don't buy lard especially, but like the fat from pork chops to roast spuds in.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 22nd, 2018, 2:51 pm

I loathe the fancy rape seed oils - reminds me of the summer holiday job of oiling mum’s G-Plan so it could dry while we were away. There is a trace of that odour even in the basic refined / deodorised rape seed oils
I also dislike the smell of corn oil which seems to cling to everything

I tend to use sunflower as to me it has the least odour, and it’s cheap! I like groundnut but it’s got very pricey

I’ve been thinking about it, and I think one secret of good roasties is getting rid of water. Letting the surface of the parboiled spuds dry off, but also making sure the oil or fat is dry when you add the potatoes - heat any rendered fat such as dripping or duck fat etc quite gently at first until bubbles stop rising and spitting - the bubbles are mainly steam and stop forming when there is no water present. One of the advantages of oil is that it’s always dry as it comes out of the bottle. In fact you can par boil and cool / dry the spuds hours in advance, and put them in a tin with a generous amount of cold oil, coating carefully. Put to one side, and pop on the oven about 200 C when ready to cook. They soak up a lot of oil but it reappears as they crisp. This really works

I’ve just remembered a Jewish friend who swore that roasties could only be made with schmaltz, rendered chicken fat. This does make nice roasties with a distinct flavour
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » December 23rd, 2018, 5:06 am

Thanks all. In the end I bought lard but may pop in and get some goose fat.

Cheers
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 23rd, 2018, 11:45 am

StokeySue wrote:
Suelle wrote:I usually buy Desirée as a winter 'all-round' potato, but might buy King Edwards for a special occasion.

I buy potatoes from my local Morrison’s and seldom seem to see Desiree The special Christmas offer was something called Lanorma, which are the kind of potatoes that look like a bag of eggs; I googled and can’t even find an indication of what the best use is but I don’t think what one website classified as smooth potatoes are good for frying or roasting, the e ample recipe wS cubed in a curry I got a bag of King Edwards in mixed sizes, so I can use them for various things

I saw my brother yesterday and asked him about Lamorna potatoes for you ... he said he grows a lot of them for the supermarkets ... he said they're a lovely potato and roast well ... my sister in law agreed that she's found they roast well. :D You may well be eating potatoes he has grown :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 23rd, 2018, 12:14 pm

Interesting Suffolk
I’ll maybe try them when I’ve eaten all the King Edwards
Just seems odd that online there is more information about the genetics and disease resistance than you can shake a stick at, but nothing significant about culinary quality or use, the supermarkets them serves haven’t bothered to post anything

The old Potato Marketing Board had great info on culinary details, but ADHB is all about growing, and doesn’t seem to care how the potato is used once through the farm gate

Explains why Albert Bartlett does so well - clear and accurate cooking instructions on every pack
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Lokelani » December 23rd, 2018, 12:42 pm

I used to use rapeseed/veg oil just the cheap supermarket one for years as it supposedly had the highest smoking point. I now mostly use goose fat, after all the talk of aldehydes. I've just re-read this article but it is very old. I thought olive was meant to be the worst for getting too hot.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33675975
I find it hard to do right for doing wrong with things like this, it's often so unclear or changeable. The one thing I do know is that I hate that awful fishy odour rapeseed oil gives off if it does get really hot. I don't have a deep fryer but tried once to do so in a saucepan & it smelled awful. Will try groundnut next time.
Flavour wise I do like goose fat for the roast potatoes (Maris Piper first choice, King Edwards second). I buy or jar my own if we have goose. I haven't roasted them in butter, I wonder where that would stand on the flavour & health scale.
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 23rd, 2018, 3:49 pm

Lokelani wrote:The one thing I do know is that I hate that awful fishy odour rapeseed oil gives off if it does get really hot.

I like that smell! Isn't it odd how we differ? I like the smell of mustard oil when it gets hot too.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 23rd, 2018, 5:08 pm

The problem with the BBC article is it talks about a risk and makes no attempt to quantify it No numbers
It’s therefore pretty much meaningless as far as I can see

Unless you fry or roast in smoking hot oil / fat far too often, I wonder how much risk there really is? I wonder if there is a massive excess mortality among people who work on chippies and fast food outlets using oils?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Lokelani » December 23rd, 2018, 5:17 pm

Seatallan wrote:
Lokelani wrote:The one thing I do know is that I hate that awful fishy odour rapeseed oil gives off if it does get really hot.

I like that smell! Isn't it odd how we differ? I like the smell of mustard oil when it gets hot too.

Yes, it's just as well we are all different. Smells really can produce a total love/hate reaction. Maybe sometimes because they can be so evocative & bring back memories, perhaps that sometimes changes our perception of whether a scent is good or bad to us.
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Lokelani » December 23rd, 2018, 5:23 pm

StokeySue wrote:The problem with the BBC article is it talks about a risk and makes no attempt to quantify it No numbers
It’s therefore pretty much meaningless as far as I can see

Unless you fry or roast in smoking hot oil / fat far too often, I wonder how much risk there really is? I wonder if there is a massive excess mortality among people who work on chippies and fast food outlets using oils?

It does raise more questions than it answers really. I'm becoming old enough to realise that a little of everything is the way to go & nothing in excess, Having watched the experts change their minds on so many things every few years, sometimes going full circle!
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 23rd, 2018, 6:26 pm

Mr. Z found a jar of goose fat that I didn't even know we had so will probably use that for the tatos. The other roast veg, carrot, snips, celeriac, BNS and onion will probably be done in veg oil.

I am going to roast them tomorrow and just reheat on Christmas day, I need roast tatos for Christmas Day for us, then for 9 people for snacking on during the games afternoon on Boxing day and then for 4 of us on the 27th when the lovely neighbours come to us - so quite a lot of tatos. It will be interesting to see how they reheat in the oven for all occasions.

I don't know the breed of tatos as it was a large bag from Lidls - time will tell....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Amber » December 23rd, 2018, 10:21 pm

My semi-veggie ( :? ) OH loves goose fat roasties. Only because he didn’t realise the first time a friend cooked them for us :oops: :rolleyes: :lol: .

Next year I’m going to try boiling them the day before and roasting in evo and herbs.
Amber
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 24th, 2018, 11:13 pm

I par boiled mine this morning and let dry and roast with goose fat and a plethora of paprika, nigella, oats, cumin, S&P and Mr. Z tried one and declared it good. They will reheat when required. :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 26th, 2018, 8:35 am

Goose fat generally, though would struggle to see a difference with duck. Through the year it's whatever I've got including the fat pot containing excess that's been poured off. This time of year par boil early (the day before) and allow to dry. Bake in the oven with rosemary and garlic. Leave overnight and reheat when necessary. Why? Because it's so convenient, one less thing to think about. :tu:
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 26th, 2018, 9:16 am

Wonderful roasties yesterday ... Maris Pipers par boiled and dried out for a few hours the roasted in hot goosefat and sprinkled with sea salt. Crisp outside, fluffy inside and so many random crispy bits ... yum :chops:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 26th, 2018, 10:13 am

I find this conversation interesting. I have never managed to reheat roast potatoes and find them as delicious as freshly roasted ones. What's the secret?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 26th, 2018, 10:22 am

earthmaiden wrote:I find this conversation interesting. I have never managed to reheat roast potatoes and find them as delicious as freshly roasted ones. What's the secret?

Exactly

I have left overs from yesterday’s duck fat roasties, which sound much like mine
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » December 26th, 2018, 1:01 pm

StokeySue wrote:
earthmaiden wrote:I find this conversation interesting. I have never managed to reheat roast potatoes and find them as delicious as freshly roasted ones. What's the secret?

Exactly

I have left overs from yesterday’s duck fat roasties, which sound much like mine

I’m the same, never get yesterday’s roasties to taste good....much rather cook fresh really. Would love to know the secret.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 26th, 2018, 1:26 pm

I agree- never the same the next day.

Mr S has had some for his brunch but the rest have gone into bubble & squeak. :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » December 26th, 2018, 3:01 pm

Of course same day, but late at night, a cold roastie dipped in left over gravy is rather delicious.....and I’d rather have that than a posh chocolate any day.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » December 26th, 2018, 10:25 pm

I used to only par-boil the potatoes but I could never get them 'just right' when roasted. One day I was watching one of the TV chefs (can't remember who') and they said boil them for the same amount of time you would for boiled or mash, let them steam for a bit then put them in hot fat. I do them this way now and they turn out perfect.

Cheers
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Return to The Kitchen