Traditional Boxing Day Buffet

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Traditional Boxing Day Buffet

Postby earthmaiden » December 22nd, 2018, 2:03 pm

... when you have no Christmas Day leftovers.

It has become a bit of a tradition for people to descend here and I provide an easy buffet which doesn't need timed serving. As a nod to Christmas there is cold turkey, ham, stuffing and bread sauce. Hot jacket potatoes (surprisingly) go down a storm, especially with grated cheese and there are various salad choices. There is something like jelly, ice cream or trifle and there is fruit, cheese, mince pies etc. Everyone seems to like that somewhat old-fashioned format.

What would you add/change to ring the changes - or would you leave well alone?
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Traditional Boxing Day Buffet

Postby Badger's mate » December 22nd, 2018, 2:33 pm

I'm doing something similar for the family tomorrow. Cold meat (ham, salt beef, turkey), pickles, cheeseboard. Big bowl of mash. some salad stuff - last of the tomatoes off the windowsill and I'm just off over the plot to cut a cabbage for coleslaw. Plus some hot savouries (M&S), mince pies, some cakes from Little Hadham farmers' market, HM pine nut & honey tart and a batch of HM madeleines for my Goddaughter.

I think it's a format that works. :tu:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 22nd, 2018, 2:47 pm

We usually have some/most of the above ... and I’ve just bought a generously sized pork pie from the farm shop where I bought our turkey. It’ll go down a treat with piccalilli ... DS loves Waldorf salad so that may be on the cards ... ooooh ... and plenty of cheese and pickled shallots.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 22nd, 2018, 3:07 pm

Oooh, pork pie! :chops: :chops:
DD & DIL have both lost considerable amounts of weight this year and are still being careful so I won't be so unkind!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » December 22nd, 2018, 7:08 pm

Lots of pickles, some nice cheeses, chutney and crusty bread
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Amber » December 22nd, 2018, 9:30 pm

Our Boxing Day meal is very similar too, but we always make lots of mash on Christmas Day, so that we can have a big plate of fried potato on Boxing Day. :D
Amber
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 23rd, 2018, 4:38 am

We never have mash at Christmas ... we never ever have mash with a roast ... does not compute :? :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 23rd, 2018, 7:35 am

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Personally I prefer the Boxing Day Buffet, there is no pressure to eat a particular food. I heard of someone who used to cook a turkey in advance specifically for her Boxing Day Buffet
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 23rd, 2018, 8:34 am

I cook the turkey (a crown or a large chicken) especially as I am elsewhere on Christmas Day. I agree that Boxing Day leftovers are the best!

Mashed potato is the celebratory potato in the USA. I think it depends what you grew up with but doesn't really matter as long as you are serving what you and your family enjoy. I think different families serve fried potato in different ways too but it's all delicious! As for the Christmas leftovers which don't go so well with a buffet, I have found that the whole lot liqudised and bit of turkey added makes very good soup. Also, the whole lot chopped up in a pie - cranberry sauce and all. They are called Christmas soup or pie and use every scrap very successfully.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 23rd, 2018, 10:59 am

I’m beginning to feel deprived, never had a Boxing Day buffet. Not something you can really do for a family of 3 and didn’t acquire the habit later

On mash, we don’t usually but I know a lot of people who would feel deprived if a roast didn’t come with some kind of mashed veg to soak up the gravy. Not necessarily spud - where I came from I think the order of preference would be swede, parsnip, potato. My favourite is swede with chopped watercress stirred through
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 23rd, 2018, 11:27 am

We are not mash with a roast people but if I’m served it I always enjoy it. I adore mashed swede and carrot though, but never on a Christmas dinner for some reason.

My mum always went overboard on the veg at Christmas, eight or more were usual, which resulted in not everything being piping hot, as a reaction I keep my veg down to roast spuds and parsnips, sprouts, carrots and cauliflower - much more manageable for the cook, and everything hot.

I also like Boxing Day leftovers better than the main event, although this year we are going to mums after the pantomime for sausages and Dads legendary chips. So leftovers will get relegated by a day. Just love cold cuts and bubble and squeak, then into pie and ultimately soup as the days progress. :lol:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 23rd, 2018, 11:39 am

I think I've said before, but probably several years ago - ovens used to be smaller, and families bigger. Mash had to be cooked alongside the roasties, as it was difficult to get enough spuds in the oven, particularly if it was also still cooking the meat (and Yorkshire puddings for some roasts).
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » December 23rd, 2018, 11:48 am

Suelle wrote:I think I've said before, but probably several years ago - ovens used to be smaller, and families bigger. Mash had to be cooked alongside the roasties, as it was difficult to get enough spuds in the oven, particularly if it was also still cooking the meat (and Yorkshire puddings for some roasts).

That makes sense Suelle ... my ex MIL had a small electric oven and a large family ... eating there was the first time I encountered mash with a roast ... I came from a family with Rayburns and Agas (and possibly an electric cooker too) and seemingly infinite amounts of oven space.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 23rd, 2018, 1:21 pm

It was always plain boiled potatoes in our household but a few placed around the meat at Christmas to roast. I think my parents must have liked plain boiled potato, I didn't. I have had roasties ever since I left home in 1974. We have never had a huge family or big oven and roasties will crisp up and sausages, bacon etc cook whilst the meat is wrapped up and resting.

Sue - Boxing Day Buffet is just an informal way of eating up the Christmas bits with a few extras so that everyone can have a relaxed day and not have to rush to be on time for a set meal.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 23rd, 2018, 3:52 pm

We always have the traditional Boxing Day buffet tea too- in our case this year it'll be cold cockerel, some of the remains of the Christmas gammon, baked spuds, salad and gallons of home-made pickle/chutney. And cheese. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 23rd, 2018, 4:57 pm

earthmaiden wrote:It was always plain boiled potatoes in our household but a few placed around the meat at Christmas to roast. I think my parents must have liked plain boiled potato, I didn't. I have had roasties ever since I left home in 1974. We have never had a huge family or big oven and roasties will crisp up and sausages, bacon etc cook whilst the meat is wrapped up and resting.

Sue - Boxing Day Buffet is just an informal way of eating up the Christmas bits with a few extras so that everyone can have a relaxed day and not have to rush to be on time for a set meal.

I was surprised to discover you could serve potatoes other than new ones plain boiled, my mother believed in mashing or roasting

Yes, I understand what the Boxing Day buffet is, but as I say not something we ever did, only 3 of us and my dad would have moaned if we hadn’t sat down for a “proper” dinner
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Lokelani » December 23rd, 2018, 5:47 pm

After all the turkey, bacon, ham, sausagemeat type things I quite fancy something light, like fish, prawns, hot smoked salmon etc. Although maybe not as soon as Boxing Day & it sounds like you've probably got that covered with salads.
Boxing Day here & at parents was always bubble & squeak from the leftover roast potatoes (we never had mash either), & brussels, with leftover cold meats. In recent years I've made cumberland sauce as I love it & have experimented with & decided we like bread sauce too, even cold!
Mum used to make jacket potatoes scooped out & refilled with the potato mashed with grated strong cheddar, butter, s&p & paprika sprinkled on the top, baked a bit more. We sometimes still have them Xmas Eve with the hot gammon just cooked, they'd probably go down well & keep that long, subject to fridge space of course!
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 23rd, 2018, 6:35 pm

Boxing Day sarnies in this household, chx, avocado, bread sauce, sausage meat, iceberg and HM cranberry sauce and a nice glass of Californian chardonnay....Mmmm Oh and some crisps....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 23rd, 2018, 7:10 pm

When I’ve been in charge of the commisariat, always the gammon, jacket spuds ( twice baked if I had the time and energy) and coleslaw easy to fit round other things, and can be kept waiting
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Amber » December 23rd, 2018, 10:31 pm

Twice baked jacket spuds?

I can’t cook ‘proper’ jackets :oops: :oops: :oops: .
I can only microwave them, and finish off in the oven with evo and s&p.

:? :D I’m a failure! :? :rolleyes:
Amber
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 23rd, 2018, 10:43 pm

You need the Laughlin method (Zoe Laughlin, Kitchen Cabinet)
Using a sharp knife, cut a single line cut round the equator of each potato
Rub with a very little oil and some salt
Put in a low oven (120 - 130 C will do) for a long time, say 2 hours, until the skins are crisp and the insides fluffy and >96 C
Obviously do it when the oven is on or ideally in the cool oven of an Aga or Raeburn

Both texture and flavour are better than any other method I have tried :chops:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Amber » December 24th, 2018, 12:01 am

Thank you.
Amber
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 24th, 2018, 1:41 pm

After DD was married the Boxing Day buffet always included freshly made chips. The only thing her husband could/can cook!. They kept him happy most of the morning. Pickles a-plenty and, often peas puddn'too. This year I have some cold pork left from yesterday but I will do our favourite thing - sort of bubble and squeak made with mashed spuds and swede. Another tradition is that we always have a Bloody Mary to start and drink rose wine - it used to be to remind ourselves of summer.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 24th, 2018, 11:04 pm

When the time is right we will raise a toast to French Cheese Queen with her recipe for a Bloody Mary Deluxe :tu: :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 25th, 2018, 8:34 pm

Zosherooney wrote:When the time is right we will raise a toast to French Cheese Queen with her recipe for a Bloody Mary Deluxe :tu: :tu:

:tu: :tu: :tu: God bless her xx
Catherine
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 26th, 2018, 8:26 am

Much prefer Boxing Day leftovers. When prepping for yesterday I was asked/told to make sure there was enough to ensure a B&S that OH will do today. Not sure if it's only the two of us or BiL and wife as well. From last Sunday's family visit there's ham, an unopened sliced salmon as well as yesterday's turkey leg, stuffing, pigs in blankets. There's also cheese, salad and I've an overnight dough mix proving for fresh bread as well as about a dozen rolls in the freezer.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 26th, 2018, 12:49 pm

We had a whole turkey yesterday for only the three of us just so that there’s loads and loads of cold pickings for the rest of this year, along with the gammon, pork pie etc ... and then of course there’ll be the turkey broth .... :oops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Return to The Kitchen