Trifle - how does this sound ?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Trifle - how does this sound ?

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 28th, 2018, 4:11 pm

On New Year's Day, I am hosting lunch for my sister, her hubby and a couple of friends. Roast leg of lamb for mains and I thought I would make a trifle for afters … I was given a Pannetone for Christmas and thought I would use that, especially as I have a rather nice trifle bowl - a straight sided one on a large round foot...

I thought I would base the flavour on chocolate and orange, so:

A base of pannetone soaked in fresh orange juice and Grand Marnier; then a layer of chocolate (ganache ?); a layer of jelly made from fresh orange juice and orange or mandarin segments; another layer of chocolate; a second layer of soaked pannetone; fresh custard topped with whipped cream and hazelnut and coconut meringues .....

For the chocolate layers, I think I will need to make a couple of circles of chocolate either as a ganache or just melting some chocolate and letting it set before layering on top of the sponge and jelly ...

Would you add, remove or change anything ?

I have to add there is an element of competition going on … my sister is renowned for her dinner parties. I rarely get an invite, but I always hear about all the stuff she makes. I have standards to keep up to ! ;) :lol: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Trifle - how does this sound ?

Postby Suelle » December 28th, 2018, 4:19 pm

Nit-picking, as it sounds very tasty.

I wouldn't add the layers of chocolate, but would make a chocolate custard instead, then top with some form of chocolate decoration - perhaps instead of the meringues, as I don't think you need to introduce extra flavours.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » December 28th, 2018, 4:48 pm

People get really excited about whether trifle should contain fruit or jelly at all. I like it so no quibbles there.

I would be wary of the chocolate rings creating a too much of a barrier between the layers of jelly and sponge, that may be what you want to achieve though. I like them to meld a bit. I do agree with Suelle that you have a lot of flavours there, I would have thought that hazelnut, if you really need it, would be enough . I'm probably not the best person to comment as I am not very fond of a chocolate and orange combination (unless its Jaffa Cakes!) or meringues :oops: .

It will certainly be a magnificent creation to compete with your sister though!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby EmWilk » December 28th, 2018, 6:10 pm

I'm with suelle on the choc custard instead of choc discs or ganache :tu: save "hard" chocolate decoration for The top.

Sounds beautiful though, save me some!!
EmWilk
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » December 28th, 2018, 6:20 pm

I agree with everyone else, I’d just grate a terrys chocolate orange on the top .
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » December 29th, 2018, 1:21 am

Booze is good :lol: :lol:
Chocolate on top; maybe some fruit in the middle? Pineapple?
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 29th, 2018, 10:11 am

My plans are being slightly amended … I have mandarins to use up so the trifle will be based on them, however I really don't fancy chocolate custard :sprout: .. I will make meringues (as I will have egg whites to use up) and add the ground hazelnuts, but serve them separately for those who like them - perhaps sandwich them with ganache/chocolate.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 29th, 2018, 11:46 am

I have to say that I liked the idea of small pieces of plain chocolate appearing in each spoonful but felt that a solid ring would prevent the flavours/textures melding together. The jelly, sponge, mandarins, grand Marnier combo sounds excellent.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 29th, 2018, 2:15 pm

I follow your thinking Pat but I wondered about a chocolate mousse rather than a ganache. I don't lie jelly in trifle. Orange or mandarine segments would be good and I would decorate the top with chocolate coated candied orange peel - but then I have still got some I made for Christmas.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Lokelani » December 29th, 2018, 4:53 pm

Another idea for using up the egg whites & coconut would be coconut macaroons. I don't eat mince pies so make Portuguese custard tarts before xmas & always use the whites for macaroons. They keep well in an airtight tub for a few days & have that lovely softly crunchy but chewy texture.

After xmas it's always been pavlova for my NZ relative & that uses up the eggs from the traditional custard in my trifle. I love the sound of your panettone soaked in orange juice & Grand Marnier, I'm also not sure about the ganache, I wonder if it would be too claggy a texture in the trifle. Chocolate mousse might be nice as previously mentioned.
Lokelani
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 29th, 2018, 8:07 pm

thanks for all your suggestions/comments :tu: :tu: :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 29th, 2018, 10:39 pm

Wet sponge/cake...... :sprout: Like the sounds of the flavours though....

Have a great New Year Patsy.... :luv:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 30th, 2018, 2:20 pm

Not wet surely Zosg, just lightly moisturiesed !
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 30th, 2018, 4:18 pm

I think I must have had a bad experience as a child - probably and excess of trifle and wet even damp sponge does not sit happily with me.... Don't get me wrong I love a good cake/sponge but the jelly/wetness is just a 'trifle' too far....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 30th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Oooh, my memories of trifle as a child were sponge wetted with sherry, topped with bananas and walnuts, jelly, custard, cream and hundreds and thousands :tu: Loved by everyone except my Dad as I recall - Dad didn't like anything sweet.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 2nd, 2019, 10:08 am

Just to let you know the trifle was a resounding success :tu: … I have to admit that I still put the layer of ganache under the layer of orange filled jelly … and I now know that it's texture wasn't quite right, but the taste was :chops: . I also went with a chocolate mousse as suggested rather than a chocolate custard. Everyone loved the generally mix of flavours .. chocolate, orange, grand marnier and I also used up some of the Mary Berry (fresh) cranberry sauce which also had the flavour of a whole orange … :drool:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 2nd, 2019, 10:24 am

Glad the trifle was a hit Pat. When i offered my guests the choice of either trifle or Christmas pudding I , who put a couple of the fellas in a quandry. One had both but the other who is very much under his wife's thumb on dietary matters was made to choose. he went for the pud.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 2nd, 2019, 12:21 pm

Sounds lovely Patsy ... we went for chocolate mousse on Christmas Day at DS’s request. That means we have a homemade pud in the fridge ... it’ll either go to Dd for her birthday coz she loves it, or it’ll stay in the fridge until next year.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Return to The Kitchen