Kiwi fruit

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Kiwi fruit

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 2nd, 2019, 6:24 pm

Here is a fruit that I really like but rarely think to buy. Mainly because I only really know to eat them as they are. Any ideas for something nice to do with them please? I've just bought six for 40p in the Co-op RTC. All I can think of at this moment is peeling, chopping and mixing in with my instant porridge for breakfast tomorrow. :hungry:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Kiwi fruit

Postby Catherine » February 2nd, 2019, 8:02 pm

Apart from the usual sorbets, jams and fruit kebabs, Kiwis make a great salsa to go with fish and chicken
Catherine
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 2nd, 2019, 9:53 pm

There is only one way to eat them. Wait until nice and ripe, cut the top off like you would a boiled egg and eat the contents with a teaspoon :chops: . (Happy memories of the school playground!).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 2nd, 2019, 9:55 pm

Just don't try to make jelly with them :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 3rd, 2019, 9:54 am

I buy them. intend to eat them as I like them, but then never get a round tuit :( :rolleyes: :oops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 3rd, 2019, 10:27 am

They are like avocados. You spend ages waiting for them to ripen, and sudeenly they have gone too far. Which reminds, me I have an avocado in my fruit bowl which is probably now mush.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Lokelani » February 3rd, 2019, 12:36 pm

My NZ sister in law puts them on top of the Xmas pavlova. So I can vouch for them being very nice with meringue & cream.
I usually scoop out & eat with teaspoon but have the same as above, rock hard then mushy, both with kiwi fruit & avocados! :lol:
Wouldn't matter if they were slightly sour with meringue, better in fact.
Lokelani
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 3rd, 2019, 12:49 pm

I think that so much 'exotic' supermarket fruit is presented in the kind of unripe state that goes straight from unripe to unpleasant. For stone fruits and things like kiwi fruit which are best ripened in the sun it is well worth trying to find a market or old fashioned greengrocers to buy them from (easier said than done round here!).
The Kiwi fruit (known as Chinese Gooseberries in those days) we enjoyed eaten with a spoon in Australia (and no doubt in New Zealand) were ripe and luscious, it is hard to find them like that here but worth trying!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 3rd, 2019, 1:11 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I think that so much 'exotic' supermarket fruit is presented in the kind of unripe state that goes straight from unripe to unpleasant.

Yes, I agree. I've heard (I think we've discussed this on here previously) that Kiwi fruit doesn't travel well. It's one of those fruits where I can never see the point but that's probably because I've never really tasted one as it should be.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » February 3rd, 2019, 1:21 pm

I love kiwi fruit, they're probably my favourite fruit. They're very good on top of a pavlova with some passion fruit , or just make an Eton Mess style dessert with them
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 3rd, 2019, 2:24 pm

I can't say I dislike them and they do add colour to various dishes but truthfully I find them fairly pointless.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 3rd, 2019, 4:06 pm

I understand they are packed with Vitamin C though, so if nothing else, they're good for you ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » February 3rd, 2019, 6:47 pm

Agree with you Rats.
Don't actively dislike them but it wouldn't bother me if I never ate one again.
Same with rhubarb.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby scullion » February 4th, 2019, 10:06 am

i'm in the take them or leave them camp, too but they do make a very good (and quick and easy ) jam.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 6th, 2019, 9:46 am

There is an interesting reecipe in this month's Saveurs for a kiwi and almond tray bake. Looks quite attractive but I don't feel the urge to make it.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 6th, 2019, 10:19 am

I can't say it would be my first choice for a tray bake but I have never tried them heated. It could be an expensive experiment!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 8th, 2019, 6:55 pm

They make a brilliant marinade item. I used to get piles of them. Kool gave a wonderful chutney recipe.
Zosherooney
Registered

Return to The Kitchen