(emergency) marmalade making questions

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

(emergency) marmalade making questions

Postby Herbidacious » February 3rd, 2019, 10:21 am

So last year I used the boil the oranges whole method.

This year I am trying a juice method.

What I was wondering is, after you have extracted the juice (using an electric juicer in my case), how much pith do you scrape out of the oranges? Are we talking kind of scalping (sorry) them, or just scrape as much as possible with a spoon. I am a bit worried that I don't have enough pectin. (Although it may be too late now, as it's all boiling away. But only for 20 minutes.)

edit: my recipe tells me to only put 100g of peel in and to discard the rest.

My orange halves that I have not shredded look like this:

IMG_9253.JPG

Also why not chuck the juiced orange halves that you are not shredding in with the juice (and bag of pith and pips)? No recipe seems to call for this.
Last edited by Herbidacious on February 3rd, 2019, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Re: (emergency) marmalade making questions

Postby earthmaiden » February 3rd, 2019, 10:38 am

I don't know about the pith but would certainly add the bag of 'bits' for pectin and flavour.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 3rd, 2019, 11:20 am

I have done that. I have watched umpteen videos. Some people use seeldess oranges?!

I have ended up putting some more shreds in and dunking in the rest of the orange shells. Fingers crossed. I have more oranges if it's a fail, but I would rather it not be.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 3rd, 2019, 1:06 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Also why not chuck the juice orange halves that you are not shredding in with the juice (and bag of pith and pips)? No recipe seems to call for this.

Herbi, I always do exactly that. As for 'taking the pith' ( :) ) I scrape out what I can with a tea-spoon. Don't worry about getting every last bit or you'll still be at it come next Marmalade season...
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 3rd, 2019, 2:27 pm

I know, I do tend to over think things (fear of failure?!)

Well it's done. I don't think it has the depth of flavour that my whole orange method batch had. Will see though. It's now cooling, and, hopefully, setting in jars.

I could do some whole orange marmalade as well, but not sure I will have time this week, and certainly don't fancy it today. I suppose I could get husband to start things off for me when he's back home.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 3rd, 2019, 2:32 pm

You are using Seville oranges I take it? I squeeze the halved oranges using my electric citrus press. The central spindle does the job of scraping away the pith etc and also catches the pips. I just tip it out onto a piece of muslin and tie that up to add the the shredded skins with the water, then I leave it all to soak overnight before boiling it until the skin is soft then adding the sugar. I always include a % of lemon prepared in the same way. Never had a problem with getting a set.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 3rd, 2019, 2:46 pm

I did all of the above, rats, apart from soaking over night. re set, will have to wait and see.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 3rd, 2019, 3:13 pm

If you tested for set before you jarred it I'm sure it will be fine!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 3rd, 2019, 8:56 pm

It's not :( I over cooked it. It's almost too stiff to get a spoonful out of it, let alone spread it. It didn't at any point wrinkle on the frozen plate like it does in pictures or in videos.

I feel very very discouraged. (Having a nothing is going right kind of day.) I suppose I can have another go.I have the oranges, but it was time consuming and I won't have time for another fortnight, unless I attempt it after work. I will have to get new jam jar lids too if I want to avoid wax discs. :(
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » February 4th, 2019, 10:20 am

i re-use old jar lids and never use waxed discs.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 4th, 2019, 12:47 pm

scullion wrote: re-use old jar lids and never use waxed discs.

Snap! Herbi, waxed discs not needed and you'll be fine with the old lids.

As for setting point... in my experience (and I'm addicted to preserve-making) you always reach it a little before you think you will. Don't get too hung up on the wrinkle thing. My advice is as follows- place a wee dish/ramekin in freezer for a minute. Remove and put a dollop (just a small one) of the marmalade on said dish and place in fridge. Leave for around 10 seconds and then check the consistency of the marmalade. If it's feeling fairly gloopy/viscous you're probably there. If still runny, boil it for another 5 mins and check again. Leave the marmalade for a good 20 mins before jarring up.

If, when you've jarred up and marmalade has cooled, you discover it is still runny, just bung it back into the preserving pan and boil it up again.

Hope this helps...
Seatallan
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 4th, 2019, 12:52 pm

I´ve made orange marmalade both ways. Lately, I ´ve been (more or less) following Ian´s recipe, whic works just fine. Where I differ from his recipe is that (a) if the oranges look to be toooooo pithy inside, I scrape some of the pith out and discard it and (2) the final "boil" sometimes takes a little longer than 5 minutes; perhaps because of the altitude (4,600 mts above sea level) or perhaps because some oranges seem to contain less pectin.
If yours is solid as a rock, then the sugar has overcooked, I surmise. I´ve never known pectin to set that hard.
Don´t get discouraged, however - try Scully´s trick and if that doesn´t work, then make some more until you get it right. It´s well worth it!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 4th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Did you use sugar with added pectin? I have sometimes had rather hard set jam when using it with fruits which have plenty if pectin already.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 4th, 2019, 2:54 pm

I have a little metal plate which I put into the freezer for a few minutes and use that to test for set. when you have made jams and marmalades for a long time you can tell when the setting point is about to be reached bceacause of the way it falls from th wooden spoon when you turn it sideways.

I reuse jars too but I do buy new lids.

I didn't think to ask what sort of sugar you used. em has a point.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 5th, 2019, 11:48 am

Thanks all.

Will pick myself up and have another go ;) Last year's was amazing (if I say so myself...)

I used a combination of preserving sugar (this doesn't have pectin in it, I think.) - 50% and the rest demerara, molasses and muscovado. I think this was definitely as case of overcooking.

New lids arrive today, so I might as well use them.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 8th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Now I have a question. I've made the usual Seville orange stuff with various boozy additions but I still have some oranged left and today I bought some bergamots. Now do I addthem to some oranges, use them alone or di orange, bergamot and scillian lemon marmalade? I'm a bergamot virgin :lol: :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 8th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Ratatouille wrote:orange, bergamot and scillian lemon marmalade

Sounds wonderful Rats! :chops:

Could be a winner for the Dalmain marmalade competition could that. Though I think closing date for this year is Saturday.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 8th, 2019, 7:28 pm

I've sent ths years entry in but I'm curious what I could do with the bergamots.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 9th, 2019, 10:56 am

Ratatouille wrote:I've sent ths years entry in but I'm curious what I could do with the bergamots.

Good luck Rats! I've entered again too.

I bet the bergamots would make lovely curd too wouldn't they?
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 9th, 2019, 1:46 pm

I'm sure they would Sea. I always send year-old marmalade to the competition. Time is too tight to send this years.

Good luck to you too. What have you sent? Mine was orange and bourbon but i only managed to save it from MrR who was about to open it a few weeks ay despite the fact that I had put it in a bag with warning signs. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 9th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Ratatouille wrote: i only managed to save it from MrR who was about to open it a few weeks ay despite the fact that I had put it in a bag with warning signs. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That sounds fab Rats! This year I only got around to entering a jar of classic Seville. Last year I made a batch of orange & date marmalade as well as classic and entered a jar of both. I managed a silver for the orange & date and a bronze for the classic but I'm not holding out much hope for this year. It was all a bit of a rush... good luck with yours- I'd love to see you get best in show (you nearly did last year if I recall correctly?)
Seatallan
Registered

Return to The Kitchen