Entertaining chefs

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Entertaining chefs

Postby Ratatouille » February 16th, 2019, 1:23 pm

I've let myself in a bit of a quandry. I invited my chef friend and his partner for a meal before they re-open after their winter break. I then invited another who is a friend of theirs and well known to us too.

I did this because I know that chefs rarely get invited to a meal with none chefs who are not close friends or family. After I won MC the invites we got dropped noticeably.

Anyway. They are coming for a meal in a couple of week's time. I have a good notion of the menu, I think ;)
I don't want to cook classic French or Provencal because they can do it much better than me. I'm think quite no last minute fuss and also with a nod to my cooking background.

How does
Goats' cheese and morello cherry filo parcels with mixed leaves.

Braised beef in ale with individual leek puddings

Cranachan

Your thoughts please .
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: Entertaining chefs

Postby Seatallan » February 16th, 2019, 1:44 pm

I think that sounds spot on Rats! I wouldn't change a thing. :chops:

Gosh, you are brave cooking for two chefs. Mind you, you are a MC winner. :kneel:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 16th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Thanks Sea. Not the first time but never 2 at once + partners. But as I said they won't be over critical because they really appreciated the invitation. The first course was one I actually did on MC.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 16th, 2019, 2:48 pm

Ratatouille wrote:After I won MC the invites we got dropped noticeably.

Wow, Rats, I had no idea we were in such salubrious company on here :kneel: Congratulations! When was it?

And your menu sounds really fab :drool:
KC2
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 16th, 2019, 6:32 pm

Is there room for a little one ? ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 16th, 2019, 6:33 pm

KC2 wrote:
Ratatouille wrote:After I won MC the invites we got dropped noticeably.

Wow, Rats, I had no idea we were in such salubrious company on here :kneel: Congratulations! When was it?

I think Rats was the first ever winner KC2 … although I stand to be corrected if I am mistaken
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 16th, 2019, 11:35 pm

Yes, Joan was the first

I think that’s a good menu, delicious but definitely what you do, not what they do

Julia Child famously said that when she was giving lecture tours she wished people would invite her for something as simple as lamb chops and potatoes and not leave her to the mercies of hotel food.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Mamta » February 17th, 2019, 7:29 am

Wow Ratatouille, I didn't know you were on masterchef and a winner, how wonderful :)! I watch is most of the time but not sure if I watched the first one, and now my mind is wondering which one were you. Are you going to put me out of my curiosity :P ?
Do you have a restaurant now?
Mamta
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 17th, 2019, 8:31 am

I think your menu will be perfect. As Sue says, it has your own label to it, a nod to Britishness and most importantly, the kind of food which relatively simple handling of the best ingredients shines through. I hope you will have a very happy party - and feel sure that your guests are delighted to have been invited. There may be a few Wildies standing hopefully outside with doggie bags :lol: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 17th, 2019, 8:52 am

:drool: :hungry: :luv: :wave:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 17th, 2019, 10:48 am

Thanks everyone I do feel quite satisfied having reflected, I have always tried to do my own thing rather than follow trends and to stick with what I feel confident cooking.

Mamta . It was back in 1990 - in the days of dear old Loyd Grossman. There was far less time commitment then - just three straight rounds. I couldn't possibly have done it in today's formula - I couldn't have afforded it.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 17th, 2019, 11:07 am

Wow Rats, that's amazing. What was your dayjob at the time, if you don't mind me asking on a public forum?
KC2
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 17th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Not at all KC. I was an advisor in special needs education with particular responsiblity for children who were not in school. It used to be called by some the Sick ,Lame, Lazy and Mental dept. a name I spent as much time fighting as getting my charges a decent deal in education.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 17th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Ratatouille wrote:It used to be called by some the Sick ,Lame, Lazy and Mental dept. a name I spent as much time fighting as getting my charges a decent deal in education.

I can imagine. A tough job at the best of times, made even tougher by that sort of prejudice.
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 17th, 2019, 6:07 pm

My cousin eventually did something similar Rats after training at Roehampton, probably around the same time as you
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Amber » February 17th, 2019, 10:48 pm

Ask yourself, do they come for your food, or your company?

Probably a bit of both.

But, they can pay for quality food any time.

Your company however? You can’t put a price on that. I would say relax (except I don’t think you’ll need to) and enjoy their visit. :D

Have fun. :D :D
Amber
Registered

Postby scullion » February 18th, 2019, 12:49 am

StokeySue wrote:Julia Child famously said that when she was giving lecture tours she wished people would invite her for something as simple as lamb chops and potatoes and not leave her to the mercies of hotel food.

anthony bourdain said something along those lines in 'kitchen confidential', too.
scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 18th, 2019, 1:25 pm

I seem to remember Sat Baines saying that he stopped off at an all-night Macdonalds drive-through, if he had had a very busy service and left for home later than usual.

Not to suggest that Ratatouille's menu is equivalent to that!! :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Ratatouille » February 18th, 2019, 1:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 18th, 2019, 4:33 pm

There used to be an all night basement cafe neat Samantha’s on New Burlington Street WC1 - the street that runs from opposite Liberty on Regent Street to the old West End Central police station on Savile Row

Anyway, it was THE place where chefs congregated post shift to drink coffee, eat fry ups and smoke like chimneys, there was a great set of photos taken there, I think by Terry O’Neill but could have been someone else (eta perhaps Terence Donovan is more likely?)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 18th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Chefs are known to be rather good at partying/booze ups in large cities. Round these parts perhaps rather less so!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 19th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Thanks Sea. Not the first time but never 2 at once + partners. But as I said they won't be over critical because they really appreciated the invitation. The first course was one I actually did on MC.

I had no idea about this Rats! Wow! I would have watched that episode (addicted in the Lloyd Grossman days and still now) unknowing that I'd be later on chatting away with you on here! What a small, little, tiny world we live on! Is there a link to the episode? :kneel:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 19th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Yes, just Googled you, remember that series well! How unexpectedly lovely! :chef: :tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 19th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Tezza It was all done as a bit of a dare. As it was the first one no-one knew what to expect and a couple of good friends at work brought me an entry form and made me enter. Ignorance was certainlly bliss!! No one was more surprised than me when I got onto the televised rounds.

I never dreamt it to be a career changing thing because I had a good job which I loved, though it was stressful. In the end it did change my life. I got the chance to take early retirement and became a food writer for several regional papers and magazines and for several years I had a weekly slot on BBC local radio which I absolutely loved doing and we bought this house. The rest is history as they say.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 19th, 2019, 9:04 pm

How absolutely lovely. I have just ordered your book on Amazon. :bounce: This has made me smile so much I have neck ache. :hi5: I can't wait for it to arrive.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 20th, 2019, 9:37 am

Hope it didn't cost any more than the postage Tezza. Not my greatest moment.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 20th, 2019, 10:50 am

A lovely menu, Rats. I´m sure your chef friends will all enjoy their dinner like never before.

And I´m absolutely certain they´ll be even more delighted by the fact that you invited them. A chef friend of mine once wistfully related that he never gets invited out to home cooking because people get intimidated.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » February 20th, 2019, 1:29 pm

My lovely SIL is not a chef, she owns a veggie cafe in a university town.
She has the same issue in that people worry about cooking for her.
I have known her since she worked in an accounts office so I have knocked up the odd dinner for her in the last 35 years.
She loves not having to cook.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 20th, 2019, 2:00 pm

At least I have good friends here who do invite us. It wasn't that way in the UK and my ex D-I-L wouldn't even make me a cup of coffee.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 20th, 2019, 2:26 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Hope it didn't cost any more than the postage Tezza. Not my greatest moment.

No it didn't, but to be honest it has been lovely to be able to afford to buy a cookery book in about four years other than Nigella from a charity shop. Nice knowing the author on some level. And a really nice reminder of part of the reason why I got so into cookery in my youth. Happy days. :grin:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 20th, 2019, 6:53 pm

I watched MC in those early days and can remember a female contestant making a pie (either rabbit or pheasant) with the pastry made from half flour and half mashed potatoes … I used that recipe several times. Now wondering if it was you Rats 8-) :lol: :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 20th, 2019, 7:50 pm

No Pat it wasn't me, it was possibly a good friend of mine and an ex pupil who asked me to mentor him. He couldn't read or write when i first knew him , He and his son now have a sucessful restaurant in Newcastle!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 21st, 2019, 8:07 am

The contestant was definitely female …. that bit I remember … not so tall as you though I recall ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 23rd, 2019, 2:47 pm

Your book arrived this morning Rats. Well worth the price and a really lovely read in my kitchen with the sun shining in between housework chores. I love the introductions to each recipe. My belly rumbled throughout. :lol:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 28th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Well tomorrow's the day but I'm a bit concerned that , with the weather the way it is, I might have planned a menu which is a bit too chilly weather.has I realised that the local asparagus would be avaialble - 2 weeks ahead of the usual time, I would probably have used that.
It is supposed to be much cooler tomorrow however.

Glad you got the book Tezza.
Ratatouille
Registered

Return to The Kitchen