Have I invented a new pickle ?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Have I invented a new pickle ?

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 16th, 2019, 6:16 pm

Eating odds and sods today - found a couple of tablespoons of piccalilli in the fridge and wondered what I could eat it with. I didn't have any cold meat, but then found a solitary poppadum in the larder - the low fat ones that cook in the microwave in a minute ;) :tu: I also have a couple of jars of mango chutney, both Patak's, one smooth and one with Kashmiri chilli. I find mango chutney irresistible ( I had the devil's own job of spelling that ! :oops: ) so added some to my small portion of piccalilli and got myself a little Indian style appetiser :bounce: :chops: :tu: :hi5:

Edited to add that I can really recommend the microwave low fat poppadums - so easy if you just fancy a little nibble without the need to get out any other utensils .. I just balance the 'raw' poppadum on an upturned bowl, ping for a minute and Bob's your uncle ! :tu:
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on February 16th, 2019, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Have I invented a new pickle ?

Postby aero280 » February 16th, 2019, 6:24 pm

:tu: :tu:
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Mamta » February 17th, 2019, 7:48 am

Interesting that you buy low fat popodoms Pat. Papars, as we call them in india, do not have fat. There are 100s of varieties, but the ones you get in restaurants here are the basic most basic ones.
Most North Indian do not fry them when serving with everyday meals. We cook them under a preheated grill or on a flame (traditionally cooked on coalc), turning them over fast. They are often used as part of a diet plan, to reduce pangs of hunger.
Interesting that you had them with piccalilli. In India, they are sometimes served with some sort of topping, like finely chopped mixed salad with chillies and a very light lemon dressing.
Popodom and salad snack. I should remember to take a picture next time I make them!
They are also made into rolls
Papar rolls

Have you ever had a papar curry? I bet not :)! It is nice.
Mamta
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 17th, 2019, 9:29 am

I am used to having pappadums when I eat out along with their accompaniments, but wouldn't generally cook the type of meal at home where papars are eaten. I like the fact that these could be microwaved. I do have an assortment of Indian pickles including the yogurt and mint dip; really useful if you mainly cook only for yourself and sometimes fancy something tasty as a snack. :tu:

Edited to add: I will certainly try making the papar rolls - just the sort of thing I like - I already do something like this with 'wraps/soft tortillas' as I don't like them cold :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 17th, 2019, 10:56 am

I always make some mango chutney when mangoes are cheap. I put quitw a lots of chillies in mine. If I haven't any of my own I love Geeta's preserves I get them and papads. poppadoms etc with them from Rafi's Spice box in York. They sell made in India ones which are to die for.
Never tried with picalilli though - it;s a thought.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 17th, 2019, 12:12 pm

When the mango tree in the back garden actually produces mangoes (some years the flowers shrivel in the heat), I get so many mangoes, I don´t know what to do with them. A few years ago, Mamta kindly pointed out her father´s recipe for Sweet Green Mango Chutney - which has now become a fixture over here; along with 4 other varieties of mango chutney. Then there´s always Mango Amras and Rajashthani Mango Pickle, or good old Venezuelan green mango jelly.
I put my papads under the grill. Easy, peasy; only takes a minute.
As for mixing piccalilli with mango chutney - well why not? Piccalilli has its origins in Bengali cuisine, I believe. A lot spicier than the sweet stuff we tend to make, I imagine.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 17th, 2019, 12:59 pm

I make mango chutney regularly. I adore it and home made is so much nicer. Luckily, we're spoiled for Asian supermarkets locally so I can source them fairly easily and cheaply. Like Karadekoolaid, I use Mamta's father's recipe exclusively now as it's the best ever. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby wargarden » February 28th, 2019, 6:14 am

sounds interesting
wargarden
Registered

Return to The Kitchen