Eggy Biscuits

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Eggy Biscuits

Postby karadekoolaid » February 21st, 2019, 11:36 pm

As you all probably know, I cook spicy, salty, sharp, acidic, bitter, sweet ´n´ sour: but I don´t really cook sweet stuff. In fact, my enormous repertoire of sweet courses numbers about 5. :terrified:
Anyway - you ´ave to givvit a go, right?
My son loves biscuits. I made some lemon bikkies about 6 months ago, and they went down a treat. Today I made some ginger biscuits - again, very yummy BUT the eggy taste was still there. The recipe was for 175 gms flour, 113 gms brown sugar, syrup... and 1 beaten egg. I used about half the beaten egg - and could still taste EGG in spite of the ginger, etc.
So how do I avoid the "eggy" aftertaste; do I cut out the egg altogether? Add salt? Oil? A couple of anchovies?
Any thoughts?
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Re: Eggy Biscuits

Postby earthmaiden » February 22nd, 2019, 1:15 am

Most biscuits I have made have either been made from a base where syrup and butter are melted with oats, spices etc or else a base where fat is rubbed into flour with sugar and flavourings as in shortbread (roughly half butter to flour, sugar, flavouring rubbed in together, rolled into a roll, chilled, sliced, baked ... can be iced), digestives etc. I don't remember ever adding egg, it would make them 'cakey' rather than crisp I would think. Maybe American style chewy cookies contain egg, I don't like them so have never made them.

This is the recipe for Ian in France's 'Noggins' which many Wildies have made successfully and enjoyed. They are pretty foolproof and taste even better the day after baking. Not an egg in sight!
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7616&start=800#p337056
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » February 22nd, 2019, 1:37 am

i'm not sure that i've ever made biscuits with egg in although it seems that there are quite a few out there.
here is a thread with quite a few recipes from a few years back, you might find something that suits on there viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1302&p=268489&hilit=biscuit+recipes#p268489 .

i would be inclined to leave the egg out of your recipe and see what happens.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 22nd, 2019, 9:25 am

I find that the 'eggy' flavour of biscuits containing eggs wears off after the first day. See what they're like now (if there are any left :chops: ).
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Amber » February 22nd, 2019, 10:34 pm

You need Suelle, and her fantastic cookies. :D :D
Amber
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 2nd, 2019, 6:39 pm

Must be me...... what is an eggy flavour in biscuits like?????? I can't say I have ever noticed this.......
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 3rd, 2019, 12:39 pm

Zosh - the recipe I used required one egg, beaten into the rest of the mixture. The biscuits tasted good - of ginger - until the last moment, when I got that clinging, slightly metallic taste , the sort you associate with undercooked meringues.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 11th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Nope, you've lost me....... !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 11th, 2019, 11:30 pm

Hahaha!
Never mind- I found a Paul Hollywood recipe for ginger bikkies, which I´m going to make when the bloody electricity comes back on!!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Return to The Kitchen