Prawns, shell on.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Prawns, shell on.

Postby Gruney » March 6th, 2019, 3:44 pm

I almost hesitate to ask this, but it's bothering me - so deep breath. I've recently bought a Spanish cook book - I'd like to build up a repertoire of tapas type dishes. There are quite a few prawn dishes. No mention is made of de-veining - and that's not a problem, I know how to do that, but there are a few where they are cooked shell on. I've searched the net, and found a variety of shulling techniques, but again no mention of deveining. After shulling a cooked prawn, you must de-vein it before eating, surely?
Gruney
Registered

Re: Prawns, shell on.

Postby StokeySue » March 6th, 2019, 3:58 pm

I mainly use Iceland frozen shell on tiger prawns for that kind of recipe, or more expensive ones from the fishmonger

They don' need "deveining" - which is actually minimal gutting. I think good quality prawns these days are purged, like mussels and oysters, i.e. kept in a couple of changes of very clean water before they are frozen, so they expel the grit in their GI tract and need no more attention. Also makes them more hygienic of course; less chance of them carrying nasty bacteria and viruses
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Re: Prawns, shell on.

Postby Gruney » March 6th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Thank you Sue - I know where I'm going now.
Gruney
Registered

Return to The Kitchen