Two questions, please.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Two questions, please.

Postby Gruney » March 10th, 2019, 8:32 am

This one was asked many years ago, but alas I've forgotten the ins and outs. Pastry. When a recipe simply calls for x g of pastry - is that the weight of flour, or the total weight these days? I know the discipline changed some time ago, but I can't remember which way.

Secondly - can sizes. When a recipe calls for an xg tin of whatever, is that the total weight, or the drained weight? I intend to make a sweet and sour chicken slow cooker dish today, which calls for a 227g tin of pineapple slices - the only tins in Morrrisons were 425 g but the drained weight, 260g. If the latter, I could scoff a few before I go for a pint - if the latter, I could scoff a good few.

TIA.
Gruney
Registered

Re: Two questions, please.

Postby Suelle » March 10th, 2019, 9:04 am

I think nowadays many recipes assume you are buying ready-made pastry, so probably give the total weight. I couldn't say for sure without judging the amount of pastry needed against the size of dish used.

I would say the weight of tin needed is the total weight. I often see recipes for pulses saying 2 x 400g tins, drained, for instance.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby KC2 » March 10th, 2019, 11:10 am

Yes, I agree it can be confusing. Sometimes with veg it is not clear if they mean peeled or unpeeled ... :?
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 10th, 2019, 11:22 am

Gosh, I always thought that with pastry it was the weight of the flour but can see the logic in it being the complete (bought) product. Tins I would take to mean the whole thing undrained but there is so much room for error. I never mind having leftover pastry. I hope your dish is a success Gruney - probably best to gauge the pineapple by eye!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 10th, 2019, 11:40 am

If I've got leftover pastry, I often use the first recipe on this link to turn the scraps into biscuits:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -hand-pies

As here:
https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2016/ ... cuits.html
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » March 10th, 2019, 11:45 am

i have always assumed that xg of pastry means the total weight not just the flour weight.
as for tins i would say i was all of it unless like beans and fruit it had liquid, too. but i would expect the recipe to say 'drained' if that was what was needed (i always drain and rinse pulses though).
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 10th, 2019, 11:45 am

They look excellent Sue. I have never got further than adding dried fruit or cheese if it's not enough to do much else with!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 10th, 2019, 12:16 pm

Thanks everyone.
Gruney
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 10th, 2019, 1:45 pm

When a recipe calls for a xxx gramme tin of something, I don't weight it or measure it. I just read the weight on the label on the tin, and assume that's what they mean.

On the other hand, if it asks for a weight of "tinned something" that isn't a whole tin, then I would only weigh the bit that's needed in the recipe. It it's tinned kidney beans, I would use the drained weight, assuming that the liquor is not used as part of the recipe.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Ratatouille » March 10th, 2019, 3:20 pm

For the pastry If the recipe gives the other ingredients then it refers to the weight of flour if it doesn't then its the total weight. AS for the pineapple I too would go by eye and taste because that's what matters
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm

I thought Sabrina Ghayour was nuts when I first read Persiana because she specifies herbs, and there are loads of herbs in Persian food, in terms of 25 - 30 g supermarket packs. But if you read the text she prefers herbs in big shaggy bunches from markets and greengrocers, but reckons most of us can visualise the supermarket bunch. Made sense then, more writers should think like that

I tried Googling for standard can sizes, as I know someone found a table of them way back in BBC board days, but couldn’t find anything useful, swamped by people panicking about portion sizes

I did establish that those squat Del Monte cans of pineapple that hold about 4 or 5 rings are 220 g or 8 oz, so that’s probably what’s required for the recipe
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 11th, 2019, 9:55 am

Thanks all. It looks like my memory is all over the place over the pastry conundrum :D
Gruney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 11th, 2019, 9:03 pm

Salivating at the pastry scrap recipes Suelle..... :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby wargarden » March 12th, 2019, 11:47 pm

usually i look for clearly written recipes
that don't have this issue
wargarden