first time recipes in newspapers

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

first time recipes in newspapers

Postby wargarden » March 20th, 2019, 3:49 pm

Since joined several newspaper archives I start looking up old recipes of common dishes.
the dishes were mentioned earlier in newspaper bills of fair but not the recipes.
I plan on listing them as I find them on this thread. the sources will be either be USA, UK,AU,NZ newspapers.
Please feel free to suggest dish I should look up.
in my next post
I will list following dishes : beef stew, beef a la mode,fish chowder, chicken a la Maryland (maryland style fried chicken), shrimp/prawn cocktail first newspaper
mentions and first recipes published in newspapers.
wargarden
Registered

Re: first time recipes in newspapers

Postby Ratatouille » March 20th, 2019, 7:37 pm

I am really sorry but I don't know what you are asking. Can you explain? I am thinking that English is perhaps not your first language??

I used to have both cookery and recipe columns in regional newspapers in the UK and have a huge archive of such things . Glad to help if I can
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 20th, 2019, 7:42 pm

I don't really see what the benefit of posting random recipes from newspapers would be, unless it was a recipe of particular interest I'm afraid
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby wargarden » March 20th, 2019, 8:04 pm

the point is to see how common dishes have changed or stay true since there first incarnations.
For example the earliest recipe that i found beef stew in a newspaper from 1812:
the ingredients are beef, onion, turnips,rice parsley,thyme, pepper salt.
in the same newspaper had a recipe for beef shin stew that include:
beef, cabbage,bones,cabbage,barley,potatoes,carrots

another example the cocktail sauce usually used in prawn/shrimp cocktails was originally used for clams , not prawns.

the second point is when dishes change by recipe writers or others they sometimes lose important elements that made the dishes taste good.
wargarden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 20th, 2019, 10:19 pm

I read it as the first time a recipe for a now popular dish appeared in a newspaper. That would be quite interesting but would take a lot of research. More interesting would be the origin of certain dishes (such as those created by chefs which have now become commonplace) and/or the first time the recipe appeared anywhere. I think beef stew could be difficult - there are Roman recipes around but written recipes before that get a bit more tricky ;).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 21st, 2019, 6:20 am

I would’ve thought that both beef stew and fish chowder are more generic cooking methods and not named ‘recipes’ as such.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 21st, 2019, 1:31 pm

It is very clear where and when certain dishes came into being. I am thinking things like Peach Melba, Eggs Conaught, Eggs Benedict etc.. However some of the really traditional dishes, from all countries just evolved and there are as many recipes as there are cooks. Things that immediately spring to mind from these parts are fish soupe - which depend on where exactly you are on the coast or the garnishes for an aioli garni - on the coast whelks are included inland it is snails, Then there is the yearly argument every summer. Does Soupe au pistou have carrots? How many sorts of fresh beans do you use and should leek ever be included??
It's waht makes cooking fun and a constant source of discussion among fellow cooks and foodies.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 22nd, 2019, 8:27 am

There are som eless clear and much debated ones though e.g. sticky toffee pudding. Banoffee pie. Possibly convergent evolution.

STP is attributed to somewhere in the lake District in the 70s (?) but my friend at work has a handwritten cook book that was her grand and great grandmothers' which has a recipe for it... although date it was written down uncertain. I am sure there are others who claim to earlier versions. Of course it could be a different pudding with the same name, and there could be other puddings that are the same with different names. (This is now going off into the realms of philosophy of meaning and reference.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 22nd, 2019, 8:48 am

STP was created in Cartmel.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 22nd, 2019, 10:16 am

Gruney wrote:STP was created in Cartmel.

There's also a school of thought that says it was created (in the 70's) at the Sharrow Bay Hotel in Howtown (Ullswater). :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 22nd, 2019, 11:14 am

There you go then! Just what I meant. I honestly thought STP was first made by John Tovey at the Miller Howe. I met him on a radio programme in the 1990s and he assure me it was his invention NOT the Sharrow Bay and added that Francis Coulson always had a big mouth :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 22nd, 2019, 12:10 pm

Gruney wrote:STP was created in Cartmel.

Allegedly.. ;) (my colleague would argue with you...!)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 22nd, 2019, 1:13 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Allegedly.. (my colleague would argue with you...!)

No point arguing with me - argue with the STP shop in Cartmel - I was only passing on what they say. I have no axe to grind, nor further point to make.
Gruney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 22nd, 2019, 1:35 pm

I thought it was an adaptation of quite an old recipe. The use of dates puzzled me a bit as when I was young they were a quite a seasonal treat although I know used in cakes sometimes. If it really only came into being in the '70's that explains a lot! I can never quite understand why it has become quite so popular though.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 22nd, 2019, 1:49 pm

em, compressed, "block" dates have been around for as long as I can remember and were avaialble all year. Gran used to make date"cakes" when I was little. She called them cooking dates as opposed to the glove boxes we used to have a Christmas. Oh goodness, you can still get them!
http://whitworths.co.uk/products/blocked-stoned-dates/

I understood the date content in STP came from Australia and NewZealand.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » March 22nd, 2019, 3:01 pm

I really like the block dates, and often put them on the cheese board....
We used to go to The Miller Howe in the early ‘70s...it was the first really ‘posh’ restaurant I went to...it was very theatrical, and the food was gorgeous. Lovely South African wine, which was very unusual in those days because of our blockade of SA because of the Rhodesian situation. I’m sure we had STP there more than once. I have a John Tovey cookery book, and make quite a few things out of it still. The tomato, apple and celery soup is always very popular. John Tovey died not long ago.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 22nd, 2019, 4:44 pm

Gruney wrote:No point arguing with me - argue with the STP shop in Cartmel - I was only passing on what they say. I have no axe to grind, nor further point to make.

Don't worry Gruney- no one is arguing with you. It just goes to show how difficult it is to pin these things down. I can well imagine STP has been invented more than once. A bit like that evolution thing (?comparison evolution?) when two completely separate unrelated lines evolve similar features or characteristics. Like old world and new world vultures.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 22nd, 2019, 8:09 pm

Seatallan - you're a good 'un. :tu:
Gruney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 23rd, 2019, 10:39 am

:lol: :luv: :wave:

Thanks Gruney!!
Seatallan
Registered

Postby wargarden » March 23rd, 2019, 8:35 pm

the earliest mention of "sticky toffee pudding"in uk is in The guardian/observer April 18 1976 p 19 "food" Katherine whitehorn
as for date blocks that is big more trouble since the word "Date" has another meaning.
the were mentioned in "food facts" advertisements in June 1942.
wargarden
Registered

Postby wargarden » April 7th, 2019, 1:11 pm

first popover recipe with all 5 ingredients milk,butter,flour,salt eggs
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/30341549/
first time popover recipe hit the uk,
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/30344883/
they did not make big in uk till 1910's
wargarden
Registered

Return to The Kitchen