Fish pie

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Fish pie

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 28th, 2019, 12:10 pm

I manage a house where adults with learning disabilities live and they’ve requested fish pie on the menu. My idea of hell , although I love fish , just not creamy buttery mash topped fish and so I’ve never made it . Looking for some tried and tested recipes please for the guys as they can be tough critics :D
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Re: Fish pie

Postby suffolk » March 28th, 2019, 12:52 pm

This is a simple and straightforward ‘family meal’ type recipe that I base mine on.

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/luxuryfishpie_67647

I use a mix of cod, smoked haddock, salmon, prawns with maybe the addition of some mussels or cockles

I also add a smidgeon of lemon zest to the mash

I don’t use cheese on the mash and I often omit the hardboiled eggs.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 28th, 2019, 1:33 pm

I kind of make it up as I go along but base it on Gran's delicious fish pie which always included white and smoked fish and prawns and hard boiled eggs with lots and lots of fresh parsley. It really just depends on the fish I have available. I love the mash with lots of butter but no milk or cream and usually add a grated cheese topping.

I hope they enjoy it.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 28th, 2019, 6:19 pm

Thank you both very much , I've said to the girls it's my first time cooking it. So they'll be scoring me out of ten :lol:
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 28th, 2019, 7:09 pm

I love fish pie and my own version(s) are similar (depending on how decadent I want to go!). I am interested in the recipe Suffs has posted though, just because they suggest cooking the parsley in the butter for 10 minutes. Does anyone do that?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 28th, 2019, 7:16 pm

No I add it when the sauce is made.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 28th, 2019, 8:05 pm

I had thought I used a Mary Berry recipe but I can’t seem to find it. Anywho, I poach the fish in the milk first for three minutes, remove the fish then use the milk to make a standard roux sauce, add the fish back in,season well, sliced hard boiled egg layer and top with buttery mash.

What fish / shellfish I use depends on how rich I’m feeling. A white fish, smoked haddock, salmon and prawns in varying quantities.

Don’t make it often as I hate the fish smell that lingers in the house, but it’s an easy make ahead meal that always looks quite impressive. I generally make it ahead when someone is coming to stay as it’s easy to heat up when they arrive.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » March 28th, 2019, 10:34 pm

It's something we always enjoy and I get told to make more often, but rarely do. This thread has reminded me to make one. My recipe is along the lines of white fish (I have used cod, haddock, coley, pollack and am about to use hake) smoked haddock, salmon & usually prawns, not usually eggs. Onion, white wine or cider, cheese and cream in the sauce, fennel or tarragon if available but not otherwise. Sometimes I add a few peas or corn kernels, but often the consumers like peas and sweetcorn as veg with it, in which case I don't bother putting them in the pie.

We've got half a sack of spuds starting to chit in the shed. I will have to increase our potato consumption to use them up - more jackets for lunch, cottage and fish pies. There's some salmon and hake in the freezer, will get some more bits for a fish pie next week. :chops:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » March 29th, 2019, 7:37 am

I sometimes make JO’s ‘fantastic fish pie’ where the fish is not precooked, but put in th e dish , then the sauce is finely diced onion and carrot softened in butter, then cream, and thickened with lemon juice and Dijon mustard. Then the usual eggs and mash and cheese on top. We like it, it depends whether I have cream or not.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » March 29th, 2019, 7:39 am

It has spinach in it also!
patpoyntz
Registered

Return to The Kitchen