The joys of spring vegetables.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

The joys of spring vegetables.

Postby Ratatouille » April 1st, 2019, 12:53 pm

My chef friend said yesterday that he feels at his most culinarily creative at this time of year and I think I must agree with him.

Of course we are rather ahead of the UK but fear not it will soon be with you. What have you done or planned when those first peas, beans, newpotoes, asparagus and so forth become available? What are your favourites?

Yesterday's amuse bouche was a jellied chicken and spring veg starter. I have half a litre of jellied chicken stock avaiable and I have just finely diced the breast from the poached chicken from whence it came and some fresh peas, broad beans, green beans, a baby fennel and some tiny violet artichokes so i have added a handful of each, briefly blanched along with the carrrots, cut fairly small like I did with the fennel and artichokes. I added a couple of leaves of gelatine to inprove the set and some chooped fresh tarragon and chives and put the lot in a terrine then poured over the stock. It is now setting in the fridge and will be tomorrows supper. I think all that will be needed is some parslied new potatoes.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: The joys of spring vegetables.

Postby suffolk » April 1st, 2019, 1:57 pm

Expect us around 4pm Rats ... sounds like a bottle of good dry Provençal rosé would be ok with that? ;)

By the way, DD sends her warm regards ... she said yesterday that she thinks of you often :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » April 1st, 2019, 2:09 pm

I find most joy in my home-grown seasonal fruit. I've already started harvesting my rhubarb, and the plum, gooseberries and blueberries are in blossom.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » April 1st, 2019, 3:57 pm

I’ve been buying bags of local Hackney Salad, the first came into the shop about 2 weeks ago, it keeps going all summer as a variable mixture of salad leaves mainly cut-and-come-again varieties. I suppose Mannu would call it a mesclun

I’m on my third pack, it has been particularly good this season, perhaps because the warm wet winter has caused a number of plants to produce tender leaves all at once
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 1st, 2019, 5:08 pm

I'm looking forward to the first British sparrow-grass and the first lot of Jersey Royals... :chops:

What I shall do soon is to pick some young nettles and make nettle soup. So lovely, especially with some ransoms chucked in with it.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » April 1st, 2019, 8:29 pm

every year, when i cut back some of our nettles and after i've put them on the compost i think, damn, i was going to make nettle soup. it happened again today.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » April 1st, 2019, 8:30 pm

we do have more nettles i could use - and a patch for the butterflies.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 1st, 2019, 9:40 pm

Steam young nettle tops and chop them into creamy mashed potatoes ... delicious :chops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 2nd, 2019, 8:34 am

A couple of weeks ago Mr R turned over a bucket which he had left in the garden. Underneath were quite long but completly blanched dandelion leaves. They have been picked and added to salads but are still sprouting under the bucket. I think they need another,less bitter leaf to make a pleasant dish and a wee bit ofsugar in the dressing. I much prefer them to roquet which I find both bitter and tough.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » April 2nd, 2019, 12:01 pm

I get a good crop of borage. Classically there's a Ligurian recipe for stuffed pasta, but I use it in place of spinach or chard in the Ottolenghi herb pie. Wilt the leaves, add herbs - it will be mint, parsley and lovage now - cheddar and feta, eggs to bind. Wrap in several layers of filo and bake. :chops:

Peas and beans in a spring risotto, or mashed with mint and feta in a quesadilla. Asparagus on its own, or with eggs or Parmesan or hollandaise. Prawn and asparagus linguini. I'm picking forced rhubarb. This is stewed and served with porridge for breakfast or with HM panna cotta
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 2nd, 2019, 12:30 pm

Have you tried cooking rhubarb in the oven with a squeeze of orange juice and some pomegranate molasses?
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » April 2nd, 2019, 4:11 pm

I usually sprinkle it with sugar, allowing the juice to draw out, then bake or microwave it. Haven't tried orange and pomegranate molasses, will do so though. I only ever flavour it with ginger, but Mrs B isn't a great fan of ginger, so it's generally just cooked unflavoured.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Suelle » April 2nd, 2019, 5:05 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Have you tried cooking rhubarb in the oven with a squeeze of orange juice and some pomegranate molasses?

I always cook rhubarb in the oven these days, unless I want a purée - often flavoured with orange or stem ginger. Pomegranate molasses sounds a good idea.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Catherine » April 2nd, 2019, 8:06 pm

Suelle wrote:
Ratatouille wrote:Have you tried cooking rhubarb in the oven with a squeeze of orange juice and some pomegranate molasses?

I always cook rhubarb in the oven these days, unless I want a purée - often flavoured with orange or stem ginger. Pomegranate molasses sounds a good idea.

It is lovely with rose water too
Catherine
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 2nd, 2019, 9:18 pm

Mum used to make a crumble or pie fillin - rhubarb + orange + dates :chops:

I make it too
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 9th, 2019, 8:37 am

I bought a bunch of wee white turnips at the weekend and last night I cooked them my favourite way a la Bordelaise, I peel the turnips but left a couple of ins of stalk. I then cooked then for about 10 minutes in salted water then drained them and cut them into quarters top to bottom. Heated some evoo and continued cooking them then just before serving threw in a couple of tbsp breadcrumbs and an equal amount of finely chopped parsley, When the oil had been absorbed and the crumbs crisp they were ready and yummy.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 9th, 2019, 9:36 am

Oooh, that does sound lovely Rats! :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » April 9th, 2019, 9:40 am

I love those small turnips, and I will definitely try that recipe Rats, sounds delicious.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 9th, 2019, 11:56 am

We managed to eat a whole bunch last night and, as a result very little of the meat!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 9th, 2019, 4:21 pm

Bought a bunch of plump local asparagus on the market today ... first of the season ... :drool:
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 9th, 2019, 4:26 pm

I’ll be looking out for that then Suffolk

Love asparagus but turnips are about the only veg I totally refuse to eat <shudders>
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Rainbow » April 10th, 2019, 2:18 am

StokeySue wrote:Love asparagus but turnips are about the only veg I totally refuse to eat <shudders>

I agree, Sue. Although I think I'd say turnips and swedes!
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 10th, 2019, 8:41 am

I seem to remember that Ian thought the same as you two. I wonder if they are like globe artichokes and some folk just can't stand the taste?

s when they are really young and tender. The crunchy breadcrumbs add just the right amount of texture he says.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 10th, 2019, 9:20 am

Ratatouille wrote:I seem to remember that Ian thought the same as you two. I wonder if they are like globe artichokes and some folk just can't stand the taste.

I love swede - Ian likes turnips (navels) and hates swede, memories of school I think

I just did a bit of Googling, all the brassica roots have bitter tasting substances in them but I like kohlrabi and radishes, perhaps the most like white turnip, though I eat them raw and I’m not keen on them cooked. There’s just something about that rather bland veg with the distinctive bitter aftertaste that has the “negative Marmite factor” for me and I suspect others

Scientifically my best guess is that is that the bitter compound(s) in turnips may be slightly different to the other brassicas, that cooking may release them or modify them and you probably need the bitter tasting gene to identify it, I probably have the half strength version
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 10th, 2019, 9:47 am

I like both but think turnip is best of all when grated raw. I haven't tried baby turnips but they sound lovely.

Spring vegetables are always a treat. I do think that in the days when certain vegetables were only available in season they shone particularly. Nowadays, unless you grow them or have access to a good market it is sometimes hard to remember what season it is. We made a lovely consomme containing spring vegetables at cookery classes once. It was supposed to be a way of using them if you just had a little of each, perhaps from the garden. Absolutely delicious, very clean and fresh tasting and the vegetables shone through.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Rainbow » April 10th, 2019, 11:21 pm

StokeySue wrote:I just did a bit of Googling, all the brassica roots have bitter tasting substances in them but I like kohlrabi and radishes,

Interesting, Sue. I've never liked radishes either, so I probably have the bitter tasting gene.
I can eat brussel sprouts but dislike them, and I don't like kale much, either. But I think with kale that's more texture than taste.
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » April 11th, 2019, 8:06 am

In the last week we've bought two lots of asparagus :chops:

It was somewhat remiss of me not to mention PSB in a list of Spring veg. Mine is coming to an end now, but the cauliflowers have started.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 13th, 2019, 9:27 am

I adore PSB but it won't grow here.

Mr R came back from the market with some tiny violette artichokes - the ones you can eat whole. I shall either cook them a la barigoule or in a casserole with rabbit.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 13th, 2019, 4:20 pm

The other day for lunch I gave the kids a platter of boiled Anya potatoes, steamed PSB, asparagus, cauliflower florets with stems and raw mange tout. I made a very thick cheddar cheese sauce (kind of hummus thickness) and they scooped up the sauce with the veggies. They loved i.
Catherine
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 13th, 2019, 6:21 pm

You are the sort of auntie every child should have :hug:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » April 13th, 2019, 8:41 pm

That sounds lovely Catherine , did you enjoy it too
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Rainbow » April 13th, 2019, 11:20 pm

Ratatouille wrote:You are the sort of auntie every child should have :hug:

I totally agree :hug:

I had to google PSB - I know the vegetable but didn't know that abbreviation ;)
Rainbow
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » April 14th, 2019, 4:43 pm

PSB?
Isn´t that a Paris football team?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 14th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Awe thanks Rats and Rainbow, what a lovely thing to say. Actually I think it is me who is lucky to have them. I can't have kids so it has been a blessing to play such a huge part in their upbringing. I adore them
Catherine
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 16th, 2019, 11:29 am

Seatallan wrote:What I shall do soon is to pick some young nettles and make nettle soup. So lovely, especially with some ransoms chucked in with it.

oooh, I've got both in my garden …. I never remember to use the nettles … or the ransoms come to that :oops: ;) :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 16th, 2019, 3:34 pm

:tu: :D :hungry:
Seatallan
Registered

Return to The Kitchen