dishes covered in batter and fried

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

dishes covered in batter and fried

Postby wargarden » April 4th, 2019, 2:58 pm

Since the chicken Maryland thread I thought there need to discuss battered and fried dishes.
we can discuss the recipes later but basically a batter is made up 2 elements and binder or thickener which is optional:
Elements:
1. liquid(milk,water, beer or etc.
2. usually powered grain( flour, corn meal, or etc ) other powders can be used.

Binder thickener :
1. Egg , arrow root and etc

Dishes:
1.Southern fried chicken
2. fried oysters
3. battered fish( such fish chips)
4. tempura ( a thin batter usually vegetables , mushroom but frozen eggs and tofu can also be used and other things.
5. pork cutlet (in a
6.ground meat (mince meat cutlet( beef,turkey,chicken,pork , lamb)
7. steak(such cube steak in chicken fried steak )
8 veal cutlet
9. poultry cutlet ( such chicken nuggets, chicken fingers, turkey cutlet).

As for recipes will start listing them later!
Last edited by wargarden on April 4th, 2019, 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wargarden
Registered

Re: battered and fried dishes

Postby Seatallan » April 4th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Pancakes :chops:
Yorkshire Pudding :chops:
:D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Re: battered and fried dishes

Postby scullion » April 4th, 2019, 5:09 pm

if you put - battered fried - or just battered into the search box in the top right hand corner, wargarden, you will find previous discussions on the subject - and probably any other subject you are interested in.
scullion
Registered

Re: dishes covered in batter and fried

Postby wargarden » April 4th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Seatallan my intention for this thread is dishes that are covered in batter not batterfried or cooked by it's self.

scullion as someone mentioned this forum is about discussions and conversations going searching for and old thread does not add to the forum and is a bit boring.
wargarden
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » April 5th, 2019, 3:19 am

The list you give above doesn't even cover 1% of the food that can be battered :lol: :lol:

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby scullion » April 5th, 2019, 8:54 am

wargarden wrote:scullion as someone mentioned this forum is about discussions and conversations going searching for and old thread does not add to the forum and is a bit boring.

the problem is, just putting a list of things doesn't start a conversation, nor does telling people, mainly from a country that batters quite a few things, that a batter is made of a liquid and a binder. conversations are usually instigated by asking for opinions and asking specific questions.
where do you want to go with your thread? do you want to know peoples favourite recipes for batter? what people usually cover in batter?
if a subject has already been talked about you might as well resurrect and join in with an old conversation rather than start a new thread that has no real starting point for a discussion.
personally, the only thing i cover in batter is rock samphire and i do it with a thin, gram flour batter. i have made vada pav and tempura in the past but otherwise the closest i get to a batter coating is stuffed pancakes.
Last edited by scullion on April 5th, 2019, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 5th, 2019, 8:55 am

I think, that as most people on this forum and keen and knowledgable cooks, they don't need to be told and if they meet a problem or come across something unfamiliar, they ask.

As it happens I am planning a seafood frito misto for tonight to which I am adding courgette flower fritters. The latter needing a slightly different, more tempura -like batter because they are so delicate.

Ever heard of deep fried Mars Bars ? Some one will have a recipe ;)
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » April 5th, 2019, 9:26 am

wargarden wrote: searching for and old thread does not add to the forum and is a bit boring.

actually it does add because a new post can take a conversation in a different direction or a new poster add a different view. people on this forum often resurrect old threads if there is something to add or ask for threads to be combined if more than one has been started on the same subject. it means that you don't have to search, so much, for information you know has been posted over the years.
try 'introducing' your new thread. it may give people an idea of where you want it to go.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 5th, 2019, 9:31 am

:tu: Scully
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » April 5th, 2019, 6:05 pm

I once made pineapple chutney and smoked, pressed pork sandwiches.....
but then I cut them into 4 pieces, dipped each piece in beer batter, and deep-fried them.
Glorious!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 5th, 2019, 6:28 pm

The frito misto was a triumph even if I says it who shouldn't - its ages since i did one from scratch. :hi5: :hi5:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » April 5th, 2019, 7:05 pm

I love fritto Misto. I've eaten at Polpo restaurant before where they had little fried batons of courgette with it too. Gorgeous.

Two months ago, I went to Vegas and had a bar snack at a little Italian restaurant. Small coin size discs of battered aubergine with a thick tomato dipping sauce . Very nice with a frozen Bellini
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 5th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Pakora has to be one of my favourite battered foods, batter made from chickpea flour coating either veg or meat. My favourite types are mushroom, cauliflower or potato/pea mix, though aubergine is very good if served really quickly before it can go limp. Haggis pakora is also really tasty. They have to be with "pakora" sauce which round here is a mix of yoghurt, ketchup, chilli powder and mint sauce and a staple of Indian restaurants & takeaways.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 5th, 2019, 8:51 pm

I am actually too chicken ( :) ) to deep fry anything. I am also not a fan of fried food so I suppose I don’t have the incentive to overcome my apprehension.

This is making me think of two deep fried horrors that hit social media a while back:
Deep fried cheese cake (a southern American tv cook was infamous for it - can’t remember her name now) and deep fried butter.

I won’t mention pizza which I did witness (with horror) being cooked in a chippy in Ayr about 25 years ago.

All this said I do rather like that old retro thing - deep fried Brie. It reminds me of my father who loved it.
And an ex flat mate friend’s Mum’s pakoras. She was/is an amazing cook. (Flat mate used to being back great things from the Sikh temple as well.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 5th, 2019, 9:12 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I won’t mention pizza which I did witness (with horror) being cooked in a chippy in Ayr about 25 years ago.

Ayr is my home town, deep fried pizza is still an option in most/all of the West Coast chippies though it's definitely not pizza as it should be, though surprisingly good in the right circumstances (aka too much alcohol) :oops: :lol: . Stems back to when, newly arrived in areas, Italian families opened "chippies" and as there was no comparative choices folk thought they were being quite "cosmopolitan" by ordering a "pizza supper" (pizza & chips) :lol: :lol:
Apart from the pizza what brought you to Ayr?
liketocook
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 5th, 2019, 9:28 pm

It was a little road trip when I was about 24 ( so c. 1991) which ended up on Skye. We set off late and only got as far as Ayr by nightfall and spent the night in a youth hostel there. This was the first time i realised that, relatively speaking, Sheffield is actually not that far north :)
We were starving, it was late, and all we could find open was a chippy. I saw pizza on the menu, and as a vegetarian thought better than just chips, so I’d ordered it. There was surely a look of horror as I watched the guy deftly rip the plastic wrapper off the frozen disc, and toss it into the deep fat. I had never heard of deep fried pizza and was not expecting that. I couldn't eat much of it I’m afraid. ( I did try.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 5th, 2019, 9:38 pm

We had deep fried battered haggis somewhere north of Glasgow a long while ago ... it was a place that looked very like Balamory :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 5th, 2019, 10:04 pm

They used to give us deep fried battered luncheon meat in primary school. I rather liked it.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 5th, 2019, 10:09 pm

You've reminded me of the Dagwood Dog, an Australian delicacy which is a thick frankfurter-type sausage cooked in a lovely chip shop style batter and served on a stick like a lollipop nd smothered in tomato ketchup. Not to be confused with American corn dogs which are different. The shop we used to go to served battered bananas also served on a stick and something else which I can't remember. We loved them!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Rainbow » April 5th, 2019, 10:36 pm

earthmaiden wrote:You've reminded me of the Dagwood Dog, an Australian delicacy which is a thick frankfurter-type sausage cooked in a lovely chip shop style batter and served on a stick like a lollipop nd smothered in tomato ketchup. Not to be confused with American corn dogs which are different. The shop we used to go to served battered bananas also served on a stick and something else which I can't remember. We loved them!

I didn't realise a Dagwood Dog was Australian (I won't say delicacy ;) ).
I assumed it was American - is that racist of me? :lol:
Rainbow
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » April 6th, 2019, 6:31 am

suffolk wrote:We had deep fried battered haggis somewhere north of Glasgow a long while ago ... it was a place that looked very like Balamory :D

Don't know so much about West Coast chippies but in the East, especially Fife, most sell battered haggis as well as black and white pudding (my favourite).

Cheers
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 6th, 2019, 8:03 am

Another reason for travelling northwards :hungry:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » April 6th, 2019, 8:08 am

I love fritto misto too. Also various pakoras, especially restaurant onion bhajis. I'm a sucker for the old courgette strips beloved of Italian restaurants. Tempura of course. In the early visits to Chinese restaurants I quite liked the apple fritters.

I've seen a few UFOs in New Zealand, I don't think the style particularly suits scallops or mussels, but if the batter is light enough oysters can work as they do in tempura or fritto misto.

Last year in the States I satisfied my curiosity about corn dogs! I don't dislike hush puppies, but I suppose they're not strictly battered. I've enjoyed fried okra too, not sure if the cornmeal coating was a batter.

Fish and chips obviously, I used to like battered sausages but have grown out of that one. As a child on holiday on the Isle of Wight, there was a chippie in Shanklin selling battered mushrooms I enjoyed. Pea fritters are nice. I'm not tempted by battered confectionary. :D
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 6th, 2019, 8:54 am

Battered sausages in chippies reminded me of those sliced discs of compressed Cods' Roe, battered and fried ................. do chippies still serve those?
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 6th, 2019, 9:54 am

northleedsbhoy wrote:
suffolk wrote:We had deep fried battered haggis somewhere north of Glasgow a long while ago ... it was a place that looked very like Balamory :D

Don't know so much about West Coast chippies but in the East, especially Fife, most sell battered haggis as well as black and white pudding (my favourite).

Cheers

Yep battered haggis and black pudding is the norm but alas no white pudding :(
I've never seen battered cod roe in chippies suffs
Herbi- I know the youth hostel you would have stayed in, shame it was just a flying visit to the area as there is lots to see and do round about. Yeah deep fried pizza is not for the faint hearted.....
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 6th, 2019, 10:12 am

northleedsbhoy wrote:white pudding (my favourite).

Love white pudding! :chops: There used to be a fantastic fish & chip shop at Nairn, that did the best white pudding I've ever tasted. Last time I was visiting my (sadly now deceased) friend and was at Inverness airport I very nearly caught the Nairn bus just to see if the chippy was still there.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 6th, 2019, 11:13 am

The comment from Suffs about battered cods roe ( which I have seen but never tried), reminds me of scallops. Had never seen them until moving to Wiltshire, they are big round discs of batter covered fried potato. Not had one for years but rather nice. Battered sausage is sausage shaped. DD used to love them but in some places she's lived they are not a 'thing'.

Rainbow - look up Dagwood dogs. There was some fuss in the early days about only the genuine thing being sold at the Sydney Show. 3
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 6th, 2019, 12:58 pm

My Mum used to make potato fritters -like that em and also Spam fritters just after to war, both of which were rather good to me. I honestly don't fancy battered scallops though - far too delicate in taste. Same with white pudding which here are really really delicate and are often and served with a creamy sauce.

I am rather partial to banana, pineapple and apple fritters. Great standby dessert and funnily enough I served pineapple ones to neighbours once and they really loved them.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 6th, 2019, 1:36 pm

I wouldn't want real battered scallops either but that is what the potato fritters are called. Not a scallop in sight!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Gruney » April 6th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Where I was brought up, scallops weren't battered, just fried like chips. And they were pronounced scAllops, as opposed to scOllops.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 6th, 2019, 2:33 pm

I still love Spam fritters. :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 6th, 2019, 2:39 pm

I was brought up to understand that a collop was a slice ... therefore a mutton collop (see Parson Woodforde etc) was a fried slice of mutton, a bacon collop is a slice of bacon and a potato collop was a fried slice of potato.

A scallop was always a shellfish and I’d never heard of a “scollop” until the word started being uttered by a certain tv greengrocer and I assumed that he was simply confused ... but as is the way of the world the term seems to have been adopted by everyone who used to know better, just as respected and erudite academicians seem to answer questions with the word ‘So’ :rolleyes:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 6th, 2019, 2:47 pm

I honestly don't know how we pronounced scallop when I was growing up, there have been so many versions since but I think it was 'scollop'. The potato version obviously derived from collop but in these parts is definitely scollop and is coated in batter - first seen by me circa 1971 when we moved here.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » April 6th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Battered sausages in chippies reminded me of those sliced discs of compressed Cods' Roe, battered and fried ................. do chippies still serve those?

They certainly do hereabouts.

The bivalve molluscs were always pronounced 'scollops' where I come from, long before the greengrocer became famous, indeed I almost certainly heard them called that before he was born. Much as I'd like to blame him for most things, this isn't his doing. I suspect, like scones, there are regional differences in pronunciation with each group assuming t'other is wrong. :D
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 6th, 2019, 4:48 pm

A quick google suggest that the scollop pronuncation was/is Canadian/New England American:

From Old French escalope (“shell”).
Pronunciation
(US): (rhymes with gallop) /ˈskæləp/
(Canada): (rhymes with trollop) /ˈskɒləp/, (rhymes with gallop) /ˈskæləp/
(traditional New England): (rhymes with trollop) /ˈskɒləp/
(UK): (rhymes with gallop) /ˈskaləp/, (rhymes with trollop) /ˈskɒləp/
(Ireland) : (rhymes with gallop) /ˈskaləp/
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 6th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Thanks Herbie. It's easierin French isn't it. Coquilles St Jaques or if veal or another thinly sliced meat/ fowl, escalope. We know what we are talking about it - mostly!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 6th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Battered pizza, I can't say this is something I ever want to try but then I don't like pizza anyway. I have tried a battered oyster at Rick Stein's fish and chip shop in Falmouth just to say I had tried it. It was nice but seemed a waste of a perfect oyster which in my opinion should only be eaten raw with nothing else

Spam fritters
Catherine
Registered

Postby Rainbow » April 6th, 2019, 10:58 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Rainbow - look up Dagwood dogs. There was some fuss in the early days about only the genuine thing being sold at the Sydney Show. 3

Yes, I looked it up and saw it was Aussie. Didn't realise it was specifically Sydney, though.
I tend to assume that 'junk-food' like that comes across from the US, but of course every country is able to produce it's own :lol:
Rainbow
Registered

Postby wargarden » April 6th, 2019, 11:01 pm

term Scalloped Potatoes has both a British and american
It can date back to 1853. A navy British lieutenant named Vanderbilt had a holiday to a tourist resort in New York City in spring. One day ,he complained to his cook that the potato chips were too thick. So the cook determined to take a joke to the lieutenant, he cut the potatoes into thin chips as thin as piece of paper, then he fried the chips in oil and subsequently he added some flavoring on the potato chips. Unbelievably, the lieutenant thought they tasted so good. Then it became the scalloped potatoes today.

the casserole dish Scalloped Potatoes vs Potatoes Au Gratin

here is where the jump from potatoes Potatoes Au Gratin to Scalloped Potatoes took place
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/30338455/
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/30338218/
a simple change of cooking instructions is all it takes
wargarden
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » April 7th, 2019, 7:23 am

This popped up on FB today. A friend sent it 2 years ago. :D

image.jpeg

Cheers
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby scullion » April 7th, 2019, 7:27 am

that fact is about the potato crisp (possibly chips to you) rather than a scallop and may not be completely correct.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 7th, 2019, 10:06 am

I remember buying packets of ready to make scalloped potatoes from America 40+ years ago when we lived in the Bahamas. All you had to do was add milk and cook !!!I think they were made by Kraft. They were fairly revolting but when we didn't see any fresh vegetables including potatoes for months on end they did make a change - especially from the inevitable packet mac n' cheese which was about as far removed from either maccaroni or cheese and it could possibly be.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Oat » April 7th, 2019, 10:49 am

Battered deep fried Cod roe is still sold in a chippy in Worcester Suffs.

Best thing deep fried has to be the Hull pattie :D
Oat
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 7th, 2019, 11:17 am

Scalloped potatoes were a regular way of serving potatoes in the farmhouse where I grew up in the 50/60s ... all our cooking was done in/on the old solid fuel Rayburn cooker and an enamel pie dish filled with seasoned slices/scallops of potato and then covered with creamy milk and a topping of grated cheese could be left safely in the slow oven while Ma worked on the farm during the afternoon ... when it was time for 'tea' around 6pm the potatoes would be creamy, soft and tasty with a lovely bubbling cheesy crust ... if we were lucky this would be served with a rasher of bacon or two which had been popped on a baking tray in the oven for the last half hour or so. :chops:

Of course, in France this would be 'Dauphinoise' .............. it's fruitless trying to discover where traditional recipes originated :lol: They weren't invented ... they just happened all over the place wherever similar ingredients, cooking facilities and need occurred.
Last edited by suffolk on April 7th, 2019, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby smitch » April 7th, 2019, 11:41 am

Oat wrote:
Best thing deep fried has to be the Hull pattie :D

Love a patty, first thing I do when I go ‘home’ is head to a chippy for patty and chips, sprinkled with chip spice :luv:

Round here in Tameside, potato scallops are called a ‘special’ in some places. Not a patch on patties though. It is also allegedly the home of the first fish and chip shop, but there is a lot of debate about that :lol: https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Fish-Chips/
smitch
Registered

Postby Oat » April 7th, 2019, 12:46 pm

A special in a local chip shop is a scrap butty what more could you want! :twisted:
Oat
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 7th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Have we mentioned good old battered fish from the chip shop? From a good shop that has to be at or close to, the top of the list of delicious battered things!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 7th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Very true EM... :chops: A truly memorable fish & chip supper really can't be beaten.

Oat wrote: scrap butty

Oooh, that takes me back! Scraps were fab. :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 7th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Lets face it, you can pretty much batter anything should you so wish. The world is your oyster, battered or otherwise
Catherine
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 7th, 2019, 8:20 pm

Catherine wrote:Battered pizza, I can't say this is something I ever want to try but then I don't like pizza anyway. I have tried a battered oyster at Rick Stein's fish and chip shop in Falmouth just to say I had tried it. It was nice but seemed a waste of a perfect oyster which in my opinion should only be eaten raw with nothing else

Spam fritters

Round here the "pizza" isn't battered just lobbed as a frozen disc into the fryer, battering is a step too far even in these parts :lol: .
When it comes to "fish & chips", I prefer what is referred to "dressed" rather than "battered" fish. The fish is dipped in thin coat of batter, crumbed and then deep fried. It (to me) is less greasy & heavy. With battered fish I tend to pick most of the batter off and leave it.
liketocook
Registered

Next

Return to The Kitchen