picnic recipes

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: picnic recipes

Postby suffolk » May 20th, 2019, 5:18 pm

I had spots in my mouth, throat .... and somewhere else as well :shock: :oops: :rolleyes: :terrified: :cry:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 20th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Goodness many shared experiences :o
I had a bad reaction to both my small pox and whooping cough vaccines and ended up in hospital. I had measles when I was three and still remember being confined to a darkened room for what felt like ever to protect my eyes. Hideous chicken pox when I was 16, they were quite literally every where.........
We also moved when I was 4 from a flat to a house, it was the summer and I have a strong memory of my grandparents arriving early evening with a picnic basket full of food and fizzy pop (which was a very rare treat) which we all ate in the back garden sat on a tartan travelling rug. I thought it was marvellous as we'd only had a shared washing green in the flat and pestered my Mum every day to have a picnic, I think I ate most of my meals in the garden that summer. :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 21st, 2019, 10:04 am

earthmaiden wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:I didn't move from the (council) house my parents moved into when I was a year old, until I was 20 …. :tu:

I have always rather envied people who spent (a happy) childhood in the same place. I'm sure it promotes stability and good friendships. I feel like a nomad :lol:

Yes, lots of happy memories... playing in the road outside with the neighbouring kids, going to the local school etc. In fact I now live in the road that ajoins it, so back to my roots where I still know plenty of the locals. :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 21st, 2019, 10:00 pm

Shingles at 50 something was most unpleasant and uncomfortable....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 22nd, 2019, 6:20 pm

I had shingles in 1999 in the middle of wedding preparations. It was so painful I couldn't wear underwear. The GP said I had come too late to help - mostly because it was the weekend and I couldn't get an appointment for 3 days after that. :evil: It was at that point I changed GP.

i was very ill with measles when I was 3 but I don't remember much about it other than anxious hoverings. My dad was sent to the fever hospital when he caught scarlet fever at 5. he was there for 7 months because he caught diptheria whil he was there.

We lived with my maternal grandparents until 1947 when we got a council house. I remeber the day we moved in because my aunt took me off to a local beauty spot with a picnic to keep me occupied until the furniture was in. I ate cherries for the first time.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 22nd, 2019, 8:44 pm

Picnic themed...... At home, sandwiches made at the tea table, I had seen kids at school with cheese and ham in a sarnie, Dad said I could have one or the other but not both together in the same sarnie !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 22nd, 2019, 9:54 pm

Shingles first time last year at 52/53 horrible at the time but more so as I had three further outbreaks during 2018 all my face, head eye. Horribly painful but thankfully ok so far in 2019 :D
I made an asparagus, leek & ricotta tart tonight which would be fab for a picnic lunch as fairly robust. I used ready made/rolled puff pastry so not too faffy to make.
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 23rd, 2019, 8:56 am

Zosherooney wrote:I had seen kids at school with cheese and ham in a sarnie, Dad said I could have one or the other but not both together in the same sarnie !

I don't think I saw two things in a sandwich until much later (except maybe cress with egg)! My mother would probably have said the same.
My 'sandwich moment' came aged 5 when we went to tea with friends and had banana sandwiches made with brown bread. I had had no idea that people put bananas in sandwiches and it was a happy revelation. My mother disliked brown bread and any fresh fruit in sandwiches and was surprised at my enthusiasm. I also remember a few years later telling the lady next door that I liked sausage sandwiches. I had never even heard of anyone putting sausages in sandwiches at the time so it was a total lie! Next time I went to tea she had carefully cooked and cooked sausages and sliced them and we had very lovingly made sausage sandwiches :oops:. We all enjoyed them!

Your tart sounds very good ltc :chops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 23rd, 2019, 5:31 pm

In London fish finger sandwiches are currently a Big Thing. Not suitable for picnics but can be very good - I had one made with lovely homemade fish fingers (goujons really) and homemade tartare sauce in lovely sourdough. Bit of salad somewhere around. Yum.

We had sandwiches with with two things in - but not 2 proteins. Egg and cress, egg with cucumber or tomato, cheese and tomato, cheese and onion etc Ham or other cold meat and pickle
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 24th, 2019, 9:19 am

In the 1960's my parents bought my aunt and uncle a "proper" picnic case for their sliver weddding. It was like a suitcase covered in blue leatheret and had real china and cutlery. Not one but 2 blue covered Thermos flasks, a milk bottle and a sugar box as well as salt and pepper shakers and 2 large food boxes.
I still have it but haven't used it for years because the fact it it doesn't hold much food! It was trundled round the country side in uncles Hillman Imp. and we always sat on the travel rug he had at college
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 24th, 2019, 6:11 pm

We’ve got a proper wicker hamper ... with contents including crockery ... weighs a ton
... fine if you’re happy to picnic in a car park, but if you want to have your lunch more than a few feet from the car you need two sturdy footmen to carry it :rolleyes:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 24th, 2019, 6:28 pm

My grandparents had a poshed up BMC 1100 - a Van Den Plas Princess, and it had a matching picnic set, designed to stow somewhere on board, and airline style drop down picnic tables
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Bubbles » May 24th, 2019, 7:51 pm

[quote="StokeySue"]In London fish finger sandwiches are currently a Big Thing. Not suitable for picnics but can be very good - I had one made with lovely homemade fish fingers (goujons really) and homemade tartare sauce in lovely sourdough. Bit of salad somewhere around. Yum.

I had my first ever fish finger sandwich on Wednesday evening. I didnt expect to enjoy it as much as I did. M&S cod fillet fish fingers, tartare sauce on a semi crusty roll with tartare sauce, salad on the side. May have another some time soon! :hungry:
Bubbles
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 25th, 2019, 6:07 am

We are very partial to a fish finger sandwich, Birds Eye FF, home made tartare in LIdls part baked crusty rolls. As everyone says, it should not work but does

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » May 27th, 2019, 6:09 pm

I love a fishfinger sandwich, sometimes at home and other times when I meet my ex-colleagues for lunch.
We always go to the same pub and always order fishfinger sandwiches.

The only difference is that I can now have a beer with mine and they cannot during the working day.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 27th, 2019, 6:47 pm

I am really sorry but I just couldn't imagine anything like a fish finger sandwich. Why is what I want to know ? When I come tho think of it I don't eat many sandwiches, Bread and i don't go together. I asked Mr R if he fancies such a thing and he said he really didn't. I would have to make my own fish fingers and bread
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 27th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Everyone thinks I'm weird because I'm not keen either. I don't think white fish and bread go together.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 27th, 2019, 8:04 pm

earthmaiden wrote:don't think white fish and bread go together.

I find that odd - surely the point of bread is that it goes with everything?

The thing about a fish finger sandwich is I think the texture. Soft bread, reallly crisp crumb layer, the fish itself and a lot of tartare sauce. And it tastes nice!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 28th, 2019, 10:12 am

Fish Finger sandwiches are my daughter's favourite sandwich of choice and I have to admit with a good quality fish fingers and nice bread (and for me, tartare sauce) - they are delicious... It's the crunchy coating of the fingers and the softness of the bread too … :chops: :hungry:

Meant to add that our local Dogs Trust café has fish finger sandwiches on their menu … I had to educate them not to cut mine into triangles as I needed to add the tartare sauce that was served on the side (along with a nice little salad) … however, the last one I had was made from a very inferior make of filling … the fish was tough and could hardly be cut - and I think microwaved rather than grilled. I complained but didn't get any satisfactory response. I haven't had one since. :(
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » May 28th, 2019, 11:49 am

Fish finger sandwiches have never been in my repertoire, and after hearing so much about them, I did make them, but I was very disappointed in my effort, even though buying really good ingredients, and I am rather fond of sandwiches in general, so it was a surprise to be so disappointed. However recently we were in a tiny harbour cafe in Nairn, and I decided to try theirs....ciabatta freshly baked, thick melting butter, really chunky fish and hm tartare...delicious!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 28th, 2019, 12:09 pm

patpoyntz wrote:tiny harbour cafe in Nairn, and I decided to try theirs....ciabatta freshly baked, thick melting butter, really chunky fish and hm tartare...delicious!

:chops: :chops: :chops: That sounds wonderful!!

Anyone partial to crisp & salad cream sandwiches? :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » May 28th, 2019, 12:13 pm

I love fish finger sandwiches and they appear quite frequently now on pub menus. I think the key is to make sure the fishfingers are nice and crispy and the bread has a certain crustiness to it, otherwise it all feels a bit pappy. Tartare sauce or a nice lemony mayo with mine.
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 28th, 2019, 12:36 pm

Newly arrived edition of Saveurs has some lovel looking picnic recipes. Everything from fallafell and tatziki to goats cheese, olive and spinach cake. They are all very portable and easily eaten without too many weapons or too much fuss.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 28th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Having read through this https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/the ... raditions/

I’m wondering whether Wargarden’s expectations of picnic food recipes might be quite different from our own. Rather than easily packed and transportable sandwiches and cold baked goods the site seems to cover what I would call barbecue food or what some call ‘a cookout’.
Last edited by suffolk on May 28th, 2019, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » May 28th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Seatallan wrote:
patpoyntz wrote:tiny harbour cafe in Nairn, and I decided to try theirs....ciabatta freshly baked, thick melting butter, really chunky fish and hm tartare...delicious!

Oh YES!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 28th, 2019, 3:37 pm

:tu: :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 28th, 2019, 4:14 pm

Seatallan wrote::tu: :D

Ditto :chops:
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » May 28th, 2019, 4:18 pm

patpoyntz wrote:
Seatallan wrote:

Oh YES!

No or Oh No to all of the above. You all eat my share please.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby scullion » May 28th, 2019, 5:27 pm

patpoyntz wrote:recently we were in a tiny harbour cafe in Nairn

didn't 'chools' live in nairn?
scullion
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » May 28th, 2019, 7:11 pm

scullion wrote:
patpoyntz wrote:recently we were in a tiny harbour cafe in Nairn

didn't 'chools' live in nairn?

Who is ‘chools’?
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 28th, 2019, 7:36 pm

Chools was a contributed first to the BBC board and then to this forum

He left following a falling out with another board member

Nairn sounds about right
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » May 28th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Gosh, I don’t remember chools at all...but thanks for enlightening me.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 28th, 2019, 9:03 pm

StokeySue wrote:Chools was a contributed first to the BBC board and then to this forum

He left following a falling out with another board member

Nairn sounds about right

That’s a blast from the past ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 29th, 2019, 6:17 am

It’s funny the things you remember. I remember that Chools was vegan/ vegetarian but I don’t remember a falling out, rather that he was here one day and gone the next. Rather like whoever the person was who always posted first thing in the morning. I think he worked in a hotel or something. Always chatty but dis appeared.

Such is the nature of message boards but I’m so nosey I like to know why people disappear

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 29th, 2019, 6:20 am

There was certainly a falling out, I remember it well
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 29th, 2019, 9:26 am

Busybee wrote:Such is the nature of message boards but I’m so nosey I like to know why people disappear

Me too! :D

Chools seems to be lost in the mists of time for me though our time-lines must have crossed. Lucky so & so living in Nairn!
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 29th, 2019, 9:44 am

...Though I do worry about some of the ex-posters especially Food Mary. I'd like to know she's OK. And I wish Tezza would reappear.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » May 29th, 2019, 10:46 am

Seatallan wrote:...Though I do worry about some of the ex-posters especially Food Mary. I'd like to know she's OK. And I wish Tezza would reappear.

Hear hear....and I wonder if tiny trishkins is still in Edinburgh, and I used to enjoy posts from capt lightning and his pigs, just to name a couple.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 29th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Yes, I miss Captain Lightning. Trish still posts on FB occasionally so at least we know she's OK.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » May 29th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Tezza is still visiting the site according to her profile , just choosing not to post . Although I don’t post much , I remember the Beeb boards. I miss Ians contributions too , very knowledgeable and his moussaka is the best I’ve made
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 29th, 2019, 6:54 pm

patpoyntz wrote:and I wonder if tiny trishkins is still in Edinburgh,

As far as I know, Trish is still in Edinburgh … she posts (infrequently though) on facebook these days :tu:

Seatallan beat me to it ! ;) (y)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » May 29th, 2019, 7:22 pm

I always hoped tt and I could have a game of golf on one of our frequent visits to Edinburgh....never got round to it....should try to contact her on FB.
I heard that her dear Mum, Muriel had passed away...
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby scullion » May 30th, 2019, 9:25 am

Busybee wrote: like whoever the person was who always posted first thing in the morning. I think he worked in a hotel or something. Always chatty but dis appeared.

would that be bazzer? the master locked the castle up and left me down here in the kitchens - where i've been working my way through the wine cellar ever since!
scullion
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 30th, 2019, 9:46 am

Well done Scully, that’s him! He just disappeared one day.......

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby wargarden » June 1st, 2019, 3:38 am

you all seemed to have forgotten the picnic recipes
wargarden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 2nd, 2019, 3:12 pm

Just when I thought picnics were dead and buried we got an notice through the door yesterday informing us that NEXT SUNDAY if the Fete des Voisins (Neighbours) and that this year it is to be a picnic :scared: :scared:

I am rather miffed because of the short notice and the fact that we are already committed elsewhere for lunch. However we feel we must contribute something and appear for a few minutes. What would you contribute??
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Busybee » June 2nd, 2019, 3:19 pm

I’d tend to take something typically British, sausage rolls, scotch eggs, scones with jam and cream or a Victoria sponge filled with cream and fresh strawberries.
BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 2nd, 2019, 3:59 pm

I agree, something quite robust like sausage rolls or quiche tartlets.

It is the 'Big Lunch' here today and as usual the local community centre has a programme of events. You can bring a picnic but the idea is to bring food to share which is all placed on an indoor table. The list of 'dont's' gets longer each year. You eat at your own risk and are responsible for what your children eat. Things in packets should be left in packets so that people can read the ingredients. If home made you eat at your own risk. Nothing should be filled with cream, items which contain meat, cheese etc must not stay on the table for more than 2 hours and will be thrown away if not collected .... etc, etc. Bearing all that in mind, crisps might be suitable! Maybe some cheese straws or biscuits Rats as you are not staying.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » June 2nd, 2019, 4:21 pm

wargarden wrote:you all seemed to have forgotten the picnic recipes

well, actually so have you!

wargarden wrote:so what new and interesting recipes will
you be using this upcoming picnic season.
This season I acquired a lunch jar so I can now have hot food at a picnic.
In the past i only had cold food with cold packs.

I will list few when type them out later.

wargarden wrote:
StokeySueI probably ought to get a vacuum jar before next winter for these trips, anyone like to recommend one? I had a stainless steel one and I don’t think it had enough insulating rings between the sections, it was useless[/quote ]

here is link to the lunch jar i bought
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zojirushi-Bent ... B000246GSE

these are the only posts you have made in the thread you started and have added nothing other than a link to a vacuum jar you bought!
where is your input or recipes‽‽‽
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 2nd, 2019, 4:26 pm

I didn't notice the link before, don't think I'll be paying £50 (Inc shipping) for a lunch jar

I have a Thermos brand one, it was sold as 500 ml nominal capacity but barely holds 480 ml, rather annoying as I mainly wanted to use it to make yogurt, and it won't hold a whole carton of UHT milk + starter.

It would however work for a lunch when hiking, though I don't think it keeps things very warm, must test it again.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen