soft boiled egg tempura

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

soft boiled egg tempura

Postby wargarden » May 5th, 2019, 11:33 pm

here a new and interesting variation on a fried egg.

a friend of mine recently served me a soft boil egg tempura on toast covered with Hollandaise Sauce.

here is the recipe for the soft boiled eggs tempura

1. take two eggs put in a small plastic snack bags.
2. put the bagged eggs in freezer
3. wait 24 hours or till the eggs are frozen solid
4. take out freezer and peal the shell off the .
(if have you trouble with getting the shell off put under the tap for 1 minutes in cool water.
5.then try step 4 again.
6. dry egg then dust with corn flour.
7 then dip into tempura batter
8 fry in oil ( oil temp (320 F/160 C))
9 fry 6 minutes
10 remove from oil
11 put on plate or toast
12 pour Hollandaise Sauce over the egg.

the above recipe also works well replacing a poached egg in eggs Benedict or other poached egg dishes.
wargarden
Registered

Re: soft boiled egg tempura

Postby Herbidacious » May 7th, 2019, 7:15 am

Sounds interesting. I am too scared to deep fry though ;)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 7th, 2019, 8:06 am

I hadn't realised that you could successfully freeze unseparated eggs. I would love to try this out of curiosity. I don't deep fry either, you'd need to in order to thaw the egg properly I imagine.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » May 7th, 2019, 3:10 pm

i, personally, don't fancy it, and it seems a load of faf to get a thin veil of tempura batter on a 'boiled egg'. it may be different if there were lots of tiny eggs but when one eats just one - or two eggs at a push - it seems pointless. i think there are some things that just don't need to be battered - including the mars bar (unless you have a fried batter deficiency)- what next - malteezers? that would really blow their 'healthy' chocolate credentials! little balls of fat coated fat with the lighter centre.
maybe there should be a thread of the things that should never be battered. (which reminds of c.m.o.t. dibbler! (- discworld).

maybe this should have been added to the 'battered food list rather than having a thread to itself.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 7th, 2019, 6:34 pm

Wargarden;? I wonder if you have actually tried this yourself. If so did it work. I can't see how it could without piercing the end of the egg with a needle before freezing it>? I would perhaps like to try it but I have never ever heard of freezing a whole shelled egg.

Fascinating- do tell.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » May 7th, 2019, 9:55 pm

I think I'd rather stick to a boiled egg and 'soldiers' than faff around with that :rolleyes:

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby Rainbow » May 7th, 2019, 10:21 pm

northleedsbhoy wrote:I think I'd rather stick to a boiled egg and 'soldiers' than faff around with that :rolleyes:

Cheers
NLB :tu:

I agree, NLB.

In fact I wondered if it was a joke post when I first saw it :lol: :lol:
Rainbow
Registered

Postby wargarden » May 8th, 2019, 12:39 am

yes i have tried it. to make it and I have eat it and my friend got egg tempura from a Japanese food themed comic book.
here is a link to the source my friend got recipe from.
https://shokugekinosoma.fandom.com/wiki/Chicken_Egg_Tempura_Don?file=Vol.20_Chapter.170_Soma_Egg_Don.jpg
wargarden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 8th, 2019, 8:44 am

Ratatouille wrote:I can't see how it could without piercing the end of the egg with a needle before freezing it>? I would perhaps like to try it but I have never ever heard of freezing a whole shelled egg.

That's what I thought.

Also, doesn't the yolk go weird? Freezing egg white works OK but from bitter experience, frozen egg yolk separates and goes a bit odd/curdled when it thaws. Like cream has a tendency to do.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 8th, 2019, 8:53 am

Even if you prick the shell, won't the membrane around the yolk burst on freezing so that the yolk and white become mixed?
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 8th, 2019, 8:56 am

Without reassurance that it works from someone who has done it I don't think I will be wasting our lovely hen's eggs on such an experiment.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » May 8th, 2019, 9:23 am

wargarden wrote:the above recipe also works well replacing a poached egg in eggs Benedict or other poached egg dishes.

why not just poach the egg?
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 8th, 2019, 9:37 am

The OP did say they had been served this so we must assume it works. It would certainly be interesting to eat but I don't think I could be bothered to cook it. It sounds like something which, if it worked, would be more interesting served with the kind of lunch dishes (warm salads etc) which come with a poached egg rather than a messed about Eggs Benedict (am I the only one who dislikes Eggs Benedict?).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 8th, 2019, 9:46 am

Oh I adore Eggs Benedict.... especially with duck eggs.... :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby wargarden » May 8th, 2019, 4:00 pm

I think some of you missed my second post in this thread.
I was served this recipe and made this recipe!
you do not need to puncture the sell before freezing.

suffolk
Even if you prick the shell, won't the membrane around the yolk burst on freezing so that the yolk and white become mixed?

that does not happen.
since the white freezes before the yolk. for it to mix you need something to cause movement .
wargarden
Registered

Postby Rainbow » May 8th, 2019, 11:06 pm

wargarden wrote:yes i have tried it. to make it and I have eat it and my friend got egg tempura from a Japanese food themed comic book.
here is a link to the source my friend got recipe from.
https://shokugekinosoma.fandom.com/wiki/Chicken_Egg_Tempura_Don?file=Vol.20_Chapter.170_Soma_Egg_Don.jpg

I wouldn't have thought a Japanese comic book was a really reliable source for recipes!
Rainbow
Registered

Postby wargarden » May 9th, 2019, 2:04 am

Rainbow in japan comic books (aka manga) are like any other media ,
they cover numerous subjects. the comic type format was used in the
UK to produce several cook books in ("patsy learn to cook by pictures" 1946 ;"Cook strips by Len Delighton 1960's "etc.)
there are mystery novels that have recipes in them.
Your view of what can be presented in comics is rather limited.

why not try the recipe and see for yourself. instead judging it without.
I tried haggis several years ago and if judged it by my bias of the ingredients in it.
I try to keep an open mind.

ttfn
wargarden
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 9th, 2019, 6:22 am

I think the term Japanese comic book can be misleading. I think we are talking here about Manga ... a specific art form and genre of illustrated books dating from the 19C which can include novels and quite serious subjects as well as well as the more commonly seen super-hero type.
It’s a ‘literary form’ that is taken very seriously by many folk, as well as some serious collectors, and its popularity is spreading, and I think it’s quite conceivable that there are some manga versions of what we would consider to be recipe books.
Last edited by suffolk on May 9th, 2019, 6:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 9th, 2019, 7:10 am

But did the OP like it, and bother to make it again?
Gruney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 9th, 2019, 7:33 am

I think we discussed manga recipes on another thread.
If I did deep fat frying I would try this egg just for fun.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 9th, 2019, 7:35 am

Ah ... because the OPs posts are still ‘in moderation’ his/her post had not appeared when I made my explanatory post.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 9th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Same with me Suffs.

The French have something quite similar Bands designe which can be very in depth and highly sought after these include food /recipe books.

I can see the tempura eggs being a curiosity and in my younger days I might well have been up for trying it. However to quots Caroline Conran "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom" Mine is certainlly too short to freeze eggs, get out the deep fryer and attempt to peel and fry them. ;)

My question really is would you do it again? Was it worth the effort? Or was the experiment/recipe worth doing it just once to see if it was possible?
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 9th, 2019, 2:21 pm

I have been pondering this most of the afternoon - see what you started wargarden! I suddenly realised it's the name that is wrong, If you deep fry something it can't possible be called a soft boiled egg - so what shall we call it? Soft cooked tempura egg seems the most obvious to me. Less likelyhood of being prosecuted for false description
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 9th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Soft cooked makes sense, as there is no boiling involved

I'd assume that the air pocket inside the egg might just be enough to take up any movement of the contents as they freeze

I think I saw something similar on a program about Korean food? There were a lot of them last year
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby wargarden » May 9th, 2019, 3:51 pm

sue reason called soft boiled is that what resembles soft cooked is better
but does not encompass the fact that egg similar to a soft boiled in it's form and .
And is whole like an egg is scotch eggs
wargarden
Registered

Postby scullion » May 9th, 2019, 4:27 pm

wargarden wrote:Your view of what can be presented in comics is rather limited.

i think maybe the problem is calling them 'comic books/comics' and not 'graphic novels', rather than someone having a limited view.
the term comic is normally used, in english, for a light hearted or children's format of 'pamphlet' whereas graphic novels are of an illustrated, 'story board' format with more adult or serious content.
scullion
Registered

Postby Rainbow » May 9th, 2019, 11:56 pm

scullion wrote:
wargarden wrote:Your view of what can be presented in comics is rather limited.

i think maybe the problem is calling them 'comic books/comics' and not 'graphic novels', rather than someone having a limited view.
the term comic is normally used, in english, for a light hearted or children's format of 'pamphlet' whereas graphic novels are of an illustrated, 'story board' format with more adult or serious content.

Thanks, scullion. That's exactly what I was thinking :hug:
Rainbow
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 10th, 2019, 8:50 am

Ratatouille wrote:My question really is would you do it again? Was it worth the effort? Or was the experiment/recipe worth doing it just once to see if it was possible?

So, wargarden, …… would you ?

Personally, I wouldn't have the slightest interest in doing this … why would I want to add calories to an already healthy food.

I have never heard of these 'comics' either … manga or otherwise :aww: :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby wargarden » May 11th, 2019, 12:38 am

PatsyMFagan yes i will do it again. I am still coming up with combinations to go with this
tempura soft egg.
the concept has great potential with other types of eggs and coatings.
I plan on trying quail eggs and falafel batter.
the cooking times and oil temp will need to be different.
As for why I like a soft cooked egg in batter because it is fun to
try new ways of cooking and new ingredients.
wargarden
Registered

Return to The Kitchen