Chorizo.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Chorizo.

Postby Gruney » May 7th, 2019, 2:00 pm

I've recently taken delivery of a paella pan, and am keen to get cracking. There are many recipes on the internet, and I've bought a couple of Spanish cook books - I quite fancy breaking my duck with a chicken and chorizo paella - the video recipe looks the sort of thing that would give me the confidence to go forward to greater things.

The recipe starts with frying chicken thighs and chorizo, until cooked - I have to assume it means raw, cooking chorizo. I'm struggling to source cooking chorizo. Would it be feasible to use the ready to eat variety - say added shortly before the chicken is cooked, would you say? Of course this wouldn't have the effect of releasing its oils, for the subsequent cooking of vegetables.

I'd be grateful for any guidance, please.
Gruney
Registered

Re: Chorizo.

Postby scullion » May 7th, 2019, 2:46 pm

does the recipe call for 'raw, cooking chorizo'? i was under the impression that that sort of chorizo was more a mexican/new world variety whereas the sliceable sausage variety was the spanish form and would be the one used in spanish cooking. the meat in the fermented sausage type is also raw, really, just brined and dry cured .
however, being a vegetarian, my comments may be totally erroneous and useless!

hmm, i haven't made paella for quite a while - think i should rectify that. ( i have at least 2 sizes of pan making ornaments of themselves on the pan hooks!).
scullion
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 7th, 2019, 2:53 pm

No, Scullion - it simply says "chorizo". I'm assuming it means the cooking variety. Thanks.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 7th, 2019, 3:07 pm

I use this https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/ ... &gclsrc=ds

or something like the Leon here https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide ... 0-chorizos (but I don’t pay that sort of price ... probably about half that). It keeps in the fridge for ages
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » May 7th, 2019, 3:09 pm

I’d add the chorizo towards the end of chicken cooking time . It should still release some chorizo oil. I know when I use chorizo to make a frittata , the normal cooked one you can eat as it comes , it still releases the orangey oil. I love chorizo , good with prawns yoo
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Suelle » May 7th, 2019, 3:35 pm

I happily use cooked, rather than raw cooking chorizo, in any sort of dish requiring it.

The advantage, for me, is that it keeps for ever in the fridge, so I can just cut off a few slices at a time, whereas raw chorizo can only be bought in relatively large amounts - too much for one person - so has to be frozen. I then promptly forget it's there! :lol:
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » May 7th, 2019, 3:48 pm

I use the diced cooking chorizo from the Co-op or Sainsbury's, or the wee cooking chorizo sausages that they sell in Waitrose (see Suff's link) and M&S.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 7th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Thanks very much everybody - that's great.
Gruney
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » May 7th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Have a go at Delia's chicken Basque style Gruney.
That's good as well.
(I prefer it without the oranges)
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 7th, 2019, 8:22 pm

I second the Waitrose cooking chorizo, cubed or sausage links
scullion wrote:does the recipe call for 'raw, cooking chorizo'? i was under the impression that that sort of chorizo was more a mexican/new world variety whereas the sliceable sausage variety was the spanish form and would be the one used in spanish cooking. the meat in the fermented sausage type is also raw, really, just brined and dry cured.

Spanish chorizo comes as sausages, whethe fresh and raw for cooking (often barbecued) or cured for slicing, like salami or pepperoni

Mexican chorizo is more like raw meatloaf mixture

There are sausages that are described as “Spanish chorizo style”. These are to be ignored, they are British supermarket sausages with paprika and too much salt, often to be found alongside similarly packaged Toulouse and even marguez To be honest the “Toulouse” are ok in a sausage casserole, with lentils or other pulses, but none of them are authentic.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » May 8th, 2019, 12:47 pm

I did a load of reading on the making of the different types of chorizo a week or two back as, although I've never eaten the 'real' version, I was sure the linda mccartney version most likely wasn't as 'oomphy' as I gather real (and by that I mean the spanish, cured one) is.
Maybe the way to do it would be to get someone to do a comparative test and describe to me what should be upped of downed flavour-wise in those.
I have probably read a whole cookbook's worth of recipes of all the types to get a rough idea but that doesn't necessarily mean that the flavours are similar to the 'real'.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 8th, 2019, 1:43 pm

The thing you won’t be able to get into a veggie version of chorizo I think is the way the flavour develops as the pork fat picks up the flavour molecules which then mellow during maturation

The Linda McCartney version isn’t even trying to be real chorizo I don’t think, it’s a vegan version of the butchers / supermarket sausage with chorizo seasoning. It’s less than 5% fat

The Waitrose raw chorizo for cooking is 34.5% fat, the cured chorizo ring (which I once described as Like Spanish pepperoni, to the US posters on the bbc board) is 39.1% fat

The fat obviously has an effect on texture and “mouth feel” but as I say, I think it has a huge effect on how the flavour is perceived when you eat it.. And of course in things like paella it’s actually the rendered, flavoured fat you are most interested in as it permeates the whole dish. I think to make a veggie version that was anything like the original you’d need to used some veg fat that was set at room temperature

Not sure how you’d approach the maturation part though
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » May 8th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Yes, that's the part I was thinking of - whether a ferment of some type could be used in the mix to replicate the bacterial action during hanging.
scullion
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » May 10th, 2019, 1:01 pm

You could use the fresh chorizo or the dried version, Gruney. With the dried version, just cut it into chunks and fry it with the chicken. With the fresh chorizo, it will probably leach more fat when you fry it first.We´ve got a Galician friend who runs a restaurant called " La Cazuela", and she makes a "paella" with chorizo - she uses the dry version.
As for the fresh chorizo, in my experience, it has far more fat than , for example. a British banger. Combine that with the garlic and the pimentón dulce ( Spanish paprika) and it adds a depth of flavour to the rice.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 10th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Thanks Kkd, and others - just the job.
Gruney
Registered

Return to The Kitchen