Lindsey Bareham’s new blog

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Lindsey Bareham’s new blog

Postby Pepper Pig » July 8th, 2019, 3:59 pm

No idea why the first paragraph is repeated.

http://www.lindseybareham.com/my-week-in-food-blog/
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Lindsey Bareham’s new blog

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 8th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Should I know who Lindsey Bareham is :? :oops: :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 8th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Should I know who Lindsey Bareham is :? :oops: :rolleyes:

edited to add; No idea why my post got repeated either :? :lol: ... and I couldn't delete this one either :?
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on July 9th, 2019, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 8th, 2019, 4:39 pm

I know LB via her Big Red Book of Tomatoes. I was thrilled to receive it but I find I’m less enthusiastic about its contents ... everything seems to lack just a certain little bit of ooomph ... hence I’ve not been particularly drawn to other stuff she’s written
... perhaps I should give her another chance ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 8th, 2019, 5:27 pm

Lindsey Bareham is perhaps best known as Simon Hopkinson’s co-author on Roast Chicken & Other Stories and The Prawn Cocktail Years
I know some of my fellow cook book clubbers are great fans, never really read many of her recipes
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 8th, 2019, 7:17 pm

I’ve got ‘Roast chicken and ...’ but I’ve always felt that the ‘voice’ was unmistakenly Hopkinson’s ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 8th, 2019, 7:48 pm

One has to admire anyone who has leftover lobster :kneel:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 8th, 2019, 8:24 pm

I thought that too earthmaiden!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 8th, 2019, 8:35 pm

I used to love her Evening Standard weekly - I think I'm still making some of her recipes from way back then! Must have been around 2000 / early 2000s when I was doing a Waterloo commute.
KC2
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 8th, 2019, 8:45 pm

earthmaiden wrote:One has to admire anyone who has leftover lobster :kneel:.

No no no I wouldn’t trust them an inch!!! Someone who has leftover lobster can’t be a real food lover. :hungry: :drool: :chops:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 9th, 2019, 9:44 am

earthmaiden wrote:One has to admire anyone who has leftover lobster :kneel:.

:lol:

I'm with Suffs! It's like having leftover wine. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 9th, 2019, 10:43 am

Can I just say politely that the whole knee jerk thing of “no leftover wine/ what’s leftover wine / laughing at the very idea” really annoys me?

There is nothing remotely funny about lack of self control towards food and drink outside of a cartoon film, and inability to control alcohol intake is extremely unfunny, and I don’t like it being normalised.

I drink wine. Sometimes I probably drink too much. But I nearly always have leftover wine.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 9th, 2019, 11:19 am

I never have leftover wine, the vacuvin and vinegar mother see to that (although I do buy bottles for her).
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 9th, 2019, 11:43 am

Take it from me, there's nothing funny about someone with alcohol addiction ... I could go on ....

I think folks' interpretation of 'leftover wine' can differ .... we sometimes have a glass of wine with supper, sometimes a bit more ... don't think we've ever got through a whole bottle in one evening with just the two of us ... it'll be stoppered and saved for the next day or if not that it'll be used in the next casserole/marinade whatever ... that's not 'leftover wine' ... that's using wine for a legitimate purpose other than drinking ... for me 'leftover wine' means glasses left half full when folk have gone home ... for me that's leftover and cannot be put to another purpose so therefore 'waste'.

I think we also have to remember that while individual folk may have their own sensitivities, black humour is not only an established comedic tradition, it serves a useful purpose enabling discussion of subjects that can be too sensitive to raise otherwise. I don't think it normalises anything ... any more than the old joke about a chap removing his belt to hang himself and his trousers falling down could be said to normalise suicide.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 9th, 2019, 12:09 pm

I think you can overcomplicate it
First keeping it light, the thing that most annoys me is the inevitability of the comment, it’s said every time, we’ve all heard it and it wasn’t funny the first time

Secondly if the bottle is not finished and you put a stopper in it for another occasion, then I’d define that as leftover wine, and I think, from the other comments made, that is how most people making the comment would define it, leaving wine in the bottle. How else would you describe it? You can plan to have leftovers.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 9th, 2019, 12:50 pm

I have to admit that I have never, ever heard of Lindsey Bareham. :shock:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 9th, 2019, 1:53 pm

suffolk wrote:I’ve got ‘Roast chicken and ...’ but I’ve always felt that the ‘voice’ was unmistakenly Hopkinson’s ...

She describes herself as “a writer who cooks” so that was probably her role, getting an actual book out of Hoppy!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 9th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Well she certainly pulled that one off! :D It’s one of my ‘go to comfort reading on the sofa’ books on the rare occasion that my cooking mojo feels as if it may be flagging :D Mind you, I also have his The Good Cook which is also delicious reading and he pulled that off on his own, but he had the structure of the TV series to build it around.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 9th, 2019, 2:25 pm

I've also got the book - I can clearly hear SH speaking to me when I read it. For my taste,the best cookery writing I've come across.
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 9th, 2019, 2:37 pm

suffolk wrote:I’ve got ‘Roast chicken and ...’ but I’ve always felt that the ‘voice’ was unmistakenly Hopkinson’s ...

She describes herself as “a writer who cooks” so that was probably her role, getting an actual book out of Hoppy!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 9th, 2019, 4:22 pm

I'm going to be honest here and say that when I read your responses Sue I was a little offended but I agree the 'leftover wine' joke is a cliche and I would like to make it perfectly clear that I in no way intended to trivialise alcohol addiction (or any other addiction come to that). I, too, have known many people with alcohol issues in my time, both on a personal and professional level, and I'm fully aware of the pain and trauma such an addiction can cause. I was simply replying to a light-hearted post in what I meant to be a similar (if predictable- I'm sure we're all guilty of that sometimes) style but if I unwittingly caused you (or anyone else) offense I apologise.

I suggest we move on.... :)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Return to The Kitchen