Oat Noggins

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Oat Noggins

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 11th, 2019, 10:57 am

I made a batch of (Ian in France) noggins yesterday, but they stayed really soft... which was a bit of a disappointment.

Would this have been a) because I didn't leave them to cool down long enough before putting in a tin (they were cold), or b) the hot/humid weather, or c) because I didn't have quite enough plain flour so made up the weight with SR and added half the amount of bicarb ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Oat Noggins

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2019, 11:19 am

Or a combination of all those factors ... ?
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 11th, 2019, 11:27 am

Hard to tell without knowing the recipe, but underbaked could be another possible reason. The recipe I use for flapjack is chewy if baked for 25 minutes but can be crispy if you bake for longer.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 11th, 2019, 12:59 pm

I didn't want to overcook them and they looked just right... the timing is 25-30 minutes … I have to add, that they were scoffed down and everyone enjoyed them. Apparently if they are soft, not crisp, they are cookies :lol: :rolleyes: :tu: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 11th, 2019, 4:00 pm

These are a favourite of mine! I suspect the flour might have been a factor. I usually leave them until they are turning in colour. They are usually crisper and tastier the following day.

I wouldn't give up, just try again sometime following the recipe/method and see what happens. What a shame though.
earthmaiden
Registered

Return to The Kitchen