Cake baking can drive you mad

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Cake baking can drive you mad

Postby hickybank » July 12th, 2019, 11:03 am

Like a lot of us on here I enjoy cake baking & also like most of you I concider myself a good cake maker.
This leads to people asking you to bake a cake for them, in tthis case I have 4 cakes to bake for different occasions.

On Wednesday I thought I would get ahead with the baking & freeze down for later.

So using my tried & trusted method I mixed the first cake batter preheated the oven & popped it in.
It rose steadily or 15 mins, then collapsed dramaticly, completely ruined, so out it went tothe birds
Second attempt, I bought all frersh ingredients in case anything in the store cupboard was past it's best & started again.
SAME RESULT
I could not believe it, I checked the oven temp & it was spot on & consistent. so gave up.

Yesterday I started again changing nothing & turned out possibly the best three cakes I have ever made.

Can anyone explain that to me because to me it does not make sense

I never open ther oven door during baking & all ingredient weights were correct.

Am I going mad
Terry
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Re: Cake baking can drive you mad

Postby Busybee » July 12th, 2019, 11:47 am

I’m not an expert but the only thing that springs to mind is humidity levels?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 12th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Terry. More than once I have bought what was labelled as SR flour - farine pour gateaux here and has dramatic failures. Second time I tok the bag back and lo and behold there was another customer clutching a bag of same flour and cross for the same reason. Eventually the company admitted to the store that it has been mis-bagged and labelled. I got 2 more bags and a voucher to use for any other ingredients that I had used. It took some persistence and they did do a recall - obviously too late for most people!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 12th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Gremlins? :lol:. We all seem to get them sometimes.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 12th, 2019, 2:04 pm

I can trial a cake which works perfectly, but when I make it again for whatever the occasion is, something inevitable goes wrong. The last time it was the cake sticking to non-stick parchment! :lol:
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » July 12th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Busybee wrote:I’m not an expert but the only thing that springs to mind is humidity levels?

BB

I wonder if BB has hit the nail on the head? It shouldn't make any difference I'm sure, but... certainly effects beer so why not cakes too?
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby hickybank » July 12th, 2019, 4:18 pm

Seatallan wrote:
Busybee wrote:I’m not an expert but the only thing that springs to mind is humidity levels?

BB

I wonder if BB has hit the nail on the head? It shouldn't make any difference I'm sure, but... certainly effects beer so why not cakes too?

The only flaw in that theory is it happened inside the oven not when it came out, I know drafts from oppen doors can cause this but that is when it is out of the oven
hickybank
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 13th, 2019, 9:16 am

Yes, good point... I just wondered if high humidity levels could have some sort of effect on the raw mix as it were.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby hickybank » July 13th, 2019, 9:20 am

Seatallan wrote:Yes, good point... I just wondered if high humidity levels could have some sort of effect on the raw mix as it were.

Good point
hickybank
Registered

Postby wargarden » July 14th, 2019, 10:21 pm

when baking in a convection oven make sure you turn off the fan.
wargarden
Registered

Postby hickybank » July 15th, 2019, 2:58 am

wargarden wrote:when baking in a convection oven make sure you turn off the fan.

Hi wargarden
I have been baking in a convection oven for years & never had a problem, just lower thr temprature to suit & all cakes since my disaster day have turned out fine
hickybank
Registered

Postby wargarden » July 15th, 2019, 3:24 am

Did it rise in center higher then normal?
How did mix the batter by hand or machine?

the reason i asked it sound like something a school cooking class teacher told once about over mixing and too much air in the batter.
sorry can't remember all detail. But reminds me also of physics behind hollow center of popovers.
wargarden
Registered

Return to The Kitchen