Nine mixed bell peppers

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Nine mixed bell peppers

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 28th, 2019, 9:17 am

I need to use these up. The wrinkliest red one went in a stir fry last night. What would you do with the rest? I am thinking of roasting them, peeling them, bottling in oil? Is that as easy as it sounds?

Any other tasty ideas out there?
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Nine mixed bell peppers

Postby suffolk » July 28th, 2019, 9:50 am

Roast, peel, bag and freeze ... simpler and safer.

Or a quick batch of roasted pepper (and tomato/mixed veg/minestrone) soup .. freeze in batches for those suppers at the end of a long hard day when you just want to flollop on your new sofa :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 28th, 2019, 10:13 am

Piperade/shakshuka/huevos flamencos

If you make a big batch of the onion, garlic, tomato and pepper stew you just cook some eggs in a portion immediately and fridge or even freeze the rest for another day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 28th, 2019, 11:41 am

I don't think I'd bother with the oil either. You hear about botulism if not done properly and 9 peppers isn't so many you can't use/freeze them. I stuck to a plant based diet recently and found that sliced & cooked peppers kept well in the fridge for several days and the rest can be made into dishes such as those Sue suggests.

The recipe I liked was for peppers, black or aduki beans, onions, garlic and hot peppers and cumin(I omitted the last two as I dont like them much) cooked together and served in tortillas with salsa.

I also like pepper hummus ( you can do something similar by whizzing up peppers, cooked beans or chick peas, seasoning, garlic powder and your favourite flavourings- maybe tahini and lemon juice if you have them. Nice to take for packed lunches with veggies to dip and crackers, crisps or bread.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » July 28th, 2019, 11:45 am

This soup would use two, and is very nice indeed in this hot weather.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/j ... oup-recipe
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » July 28th, 2019, 11:47 am

Oh, and I second em’s suggestion for red pepper hummus, always very popular here.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » July 28th, 2019, 1:21 pm

I’d just roast with other Mediterranean veg , such as onions tomatoes and garlic . Can use with pasta , as a bruschetta topping , or mixed with couscous .
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 28th, 2019, 3:11 pm

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:I’d just roast with other Mediterranean veg , such as onions tomatoes and garlic . Can use with pasta , as a bruschetta topping , or mixed with couscous .

That gets my vote too, especially with a handful or two of toasted pine nuts included. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 28th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Slice them up, and gently sauté in abundant olive oil, with a few cloves of garlic, s &p, some oregano and basil. Add about half a cup of wine vinegar and a spoonful of sugar. When they´re soft, you can bottle them. Just make sure there´s liquid covering the pepperonata. If you want to be super sure, place the jars up to their necks on boiling water and boil for 25 minutes. Remove once cooled.
they will keep for ages in the pantry. I´ve made this recipe countless times, sold it to the general public and have never, ever had an issue with it.
Once opened, keep in the fridge and use within two weeks - although that´s never a problem in my house.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 29th, 2019, 11:06 am

I once had a batch of barbecued peppers which I bottled in oil go mouldy quite quickly. Not attempted it since. However I did just put them in clean (not sterlized) bottles and oil. (I was young...)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 29th, 2019, 12:03 pm

suffolk wrote:Roast, peel, bag and freeze ... simpler and safer.

Or a quick batch of roasted pepper (and tomato/mixed veg/minestrone) soup .. freeze in batches for those suppers at the end of a long hard day when you just want to flollop on your new sofa :D

I have decided to roast the lot, whiz up some for the soup that patpoyntz mentions as I have all the ingredients in for that, and freeze the rest in bags. as above.

Thanks for the ideas everyone!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 29th, 2019, 1:13 pm

For future reference, this is very nice (and simple):

https://invitadoinvierno.com/school-of- ... la-mancha/
Herbidacious
Registered

Return to The Kitchen