Joint v cut

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Joint v cut

Postby Gruney » August 17th, 2019, 1:45 pm

I bought a paella pan some months ago, and have been experimenting with lots of diferent chicken recipes - not just restricting myself to paellas. An old worry keeps resurfacing - breasts on or off the bone.

There are loads of videos showing how to divide a chicken - some on the bone, some off. Recipes rarely stipulate - typically - divide/cut/joint a chicken into 6/8 or more pieces. Some say "chicken thighs cut into small pieces". I wonder if I'm going down the right track by assuming "joint" means off the bone, and "cut" means on?

Maybe a daft question to some, but it's been bothering me for a long time, and any guidance would be more than appreciated, please.
Gruney
Registered

Re: Joint v cut

Postby StokeySue » August 17th, 2019, 2:50 pm

I would say if anything other way round, but I don’t think it’s consistent across regions or individuals, the more I think about it I don’t think it’s a rule one way or the other.

If asked to joint a chicken, I divide it into 6 or 8 pieces on the bone, cutting through the anatomical joints, hence (I think) the term. That I am clear about.

But I’ve certainly known piles of the chicken joints so made to be labelled “cut chicken”, though these days the pieces are usually separated into piles or packs of thighs, legs, etc.

I’d really expect a well written recipe to specify on or off the bone and either the anatomy or size of the pieces needed - do you have a specific recipe that you find ambiguous?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 17th, 2019, 3:15 pm

Thanks Sue. As an example - not of a recipe - but of a technique video, this one from the BBC is entitled "jointing" - but removes the breasts from the carcase.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/techniques/jointing_chicken
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 17th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Yes, that’s quite often done, but there are slightly different ways of doing it, I don’t deal with the wishbone quite ar James does, so my breast portions look a bit different and I quite often split the breast so the meat is on the bone rather than removing the boneless supreme, which can fall apart

Here’s another video, which after an initial ad, shows yo a slightly different method, including showing both bone-in and boneless breast options. This more how I do it.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/videos/techniques/how-joint-raw-chicken
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 17th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Thanks Sue.
Gruney
Registered

Postby wargarden » August 21st, 2019, 3:14 am

sound like deboning and jointing
wargarden
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 21st, 2019, 6:08 am

wargarden wrote:sound like deboning and jointing

No. Either method, the bones remain in the legs and wings - see the link I posted.
Gruney
Registered

Return to The Kitchen