An new look to something you often make.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

An new look to something you often make.

Postby Ratatouille » August 24th, 2019, 8:55 am

Well in my case it obviously has to be ratatouille doesn't it?

I went to look for some veg a couple of days ago think I would make some and suddently realised that I could make a single colour one. In this case yellow. I has a yellow pepper several yellow courgetts and my neighbour has already given me some of her pineapple tomatoes. I don't think there are such things as yellow aubergines but I did have a couple of white ones.

I made it in the usualy way and it looked rather good but tasted slightly different because of the tomatoes and pepper although still lovely.

I am now wondering what sensible colour changes I could bring to other dishes, simply by changing the colours or is Mr R right that if it doesn't look like ratatouille or really taste like it then it probably isn't ratatouille :rolleyes:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: An new look to something you often make.

Postby Suelle » August 24th, 2019, 10:16 am

I find ratatouille varies in flavour anyway - unless you use exactly the same proportions of each vegetable every time, so I think you can call still it ratatouille.

One fairly obvious thing is making coleslaw with red cabbage, which leads me to wonder what carrot soup would be like if made with purple carrots. Blue, green and purple colours are supposed to be unappetising in things which we don't expect to be that colour. - probably because they're the colours of many moulds.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » August 24th, 2019, 10:39 am

I was thinking that Suelle. I seem to remember that a tinned veg - peas I think - are not naturally green and raspberry flavoured things are sometimes blue. I wondered if Mr Rat's perception of the Ratatouille was influenced by the colour.

http://nautil.us/issue/66/clockwork/the ... -we-eat-rp

I do think that human taste buds are attracted by an array of colours on a plate so that (for instance) a salad of all red items might not seem as appealing as a mix of reds, greens, yellows etc. I think a salad of items which were a different colour to usual might work well but would probably need reds or greens as well as yellows and whites - a bit of purple would work with either.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 24th, 2019, 12:15 pm

I have made a white coleslaw with white carrots, which I find have a very good flavour when raw, though they can look insipid when cooked, which is possibly handy when you don't want that flash of orange in a soup or similar. One in a Vichyssoise might be nice

I remember a psychology student at college doing and afternoon tea with all the food in the "wrong" colours
Hardly anybody ate the blue cake with purple icing, but it was delicious, lemon flavoured iirc as the flavour had to be something quite punchy that wouldn't add a colour of its own
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 24th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Interesting isn't it? It did taste a bit different because if you taste a raw yellow pepper they do taste different from a gree pepper which inturn t different to a red one!Sme with the yellow tomatoes. The variety pinepple does in fact taste vaguely, of that fruit
sometimes marked, difference in . All what are called ancient tomatoes here have a sometimes marked, difference in flavour,

I was listening to a programme about glassware before lunch and an expert did an experiment by giving the contributors wine in different glasses opaque white and black It was in fact the saame wine. Itw but in the back glass they thought it was white and in th white one they thought it was red. It was in fact rose :lol: When we were teaching a beginners wine course we did a similar thing and got them to taste wines while blindfolded. It caused much mirth and merriment.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby wargarden » August 24th, 2019, 1:15 pm

given recent availability different colour vegetables making single colour but different colour dishes.
there are so many new possibilities . such as purple coleslaw.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » August 24th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Not that I have experienced it at first hand, but there used to be a course at the Fat Duck that was an orange jelly and a beetroot one. It was made with blood oranges and golden beets, thus the red one was orange and the orange one wasn't orange.

I once grew those blue potatoes for the purpose of alarming my lovely MIL, and have used unconventional coloured veg at other times. Some you have to grow yourself. White beet causes a stir, but has the advantage of not staining the tablecloth. Some colours are lost on cooking, purple beans go green for example, but if done quite lightly it's possible to keep some things unusual. The mangetout 'Shiraz' stays purple if stir-fried.

I think red cabbage tastes different from white, red cabbage coleslaw is nice in its own way and has definitely increased Mrs B's enthusiasm for red cabbage. It should be possible to produce a rainbow of mashed veg - surprised nobody has done it for a Pride event.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 25th, 2019, 9:45 am

Multicoloured beetroot can look and taste great, though I do think the taste and texture of some variants is less good than the conventional ones

I always think it’s a shame that some of the more brightly coloured veg loose their colour when cooked, for example if you cook purple sprouting broccoli you get green spears and purple water
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen