fair and festival food!

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

fair and festival food!

Postby wargarden » August 29th, 2019, 3:49 pm

what type of food do the vendors sell at fairs and festivals ?
wargarden
Registered

Re: fair and festival food!

Postby suffolk » August 29th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Lots of vegetarian and vegan food gets served at UK festivals nowadays. My son’s friends have a mobile catering business serving delicious vegan food at festivals and other outside events http://www.juanpablofood.com/ and they get a lot of customers.
Last edited by suffolk on August 29th, 2019, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » August 29th, 2019, 6:22 pm

Even the most unhealthy food sold in the UK is about at least twice as healthy as some of the stuff I've seen sold at US fairs if some of your Foodnetwork programmes are anything to go by.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby Suelle » August 29th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Depends on the type of festival and the demographics of those attending. It's impossible to generalise or be specific.

Antique fairs tend to be traditional - burgers, hot dogs, fish and chips, ice-cream vans etc.

Food (and music, probably) festivals would have much more variety, with vegetarian, vegan, Thai, Indian, Mexican, Greek etc food stalls.

Stalls at food fairs often concentrate on just one thing - eg crepes, local fruit juices, Indian snacks such as samosas, paella, brownies, artisan ice cream, vegan cakes - rather than offering a wide range of foods, so people graze from several stalls.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby wargarden » August 29th, 2019, 6:45 pm

well one big food they sell a regular fairs and Renaissance fairs is smoked turkey legs.
One more unique dish at fair is pork sundae : pulled pork BBQ ,coleslaw served on top of hand cut chips.
there are also funnel cake and blooming onions. they also have BBQ ribs and other common BBQ fare,
I can't forget corn dogs ; fried cheese curds on other deep fried fare.
If don't know what any above foods are I be glad describe them in more detail.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 29th, 2019, 7:03 pm

Food fairs in France tend to be very very regional and particular so I would say impossible to say except there is always a lot of wine as well!

We tenf to have really specific events like the cherry fair, the olive fair, the truflle fair and so on
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 29th, 2019, 7:43 pm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 30th, 2019, 8:19 am

wargarden wrote:One more unique dish at fair is pork sundae : pulled pork BBQ ,coleslaw served on top of hand cut chips.

Now that sounds utterly moreish!! :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 30th, 2019, 10:05 am

I have never sampled any of those things Wargarden (and not really likely to as a vegetarian.) Apart from the blooming onion and funnel cakes, I guess. I'd be up for a blooming onion, especially as a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan :D (And I am guessing 'blooming' doesn't have a double meaning in the States...?!)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 30th, 2019, 10:57 am

I’d love to try a blooming onion, and have looked in vane for it on a menu when visiting but am yet to see it.

Is it a regional dish Wargarden?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby wargarden » August 30th, 2019, 11:43 am

blooming onion it is basically an onion cut in manner that opens up like flower when battered and fried.
there are kits you can buy that do cutting and also buy batter.
Outback Steak House has blooming onion on there menu.
i seen it several fairs as well.
blooming refers to how onion opens up look like flower.
Blooming does not have the derogatory meaning here that it has in the UK.
Neither does word bloody.
Last edited by wargarden on August 30th, 2019, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wargarden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 30th, 2019, 11:58 am

I was taken here especially to try the blooming onions https://www.google.com/search?q=bloomin ... utback%252 funny it's an Australian themed place but they're a work of art and bloomin' lovely! Wargarden - could you be in Portland?!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby wargarden » August 30th, 2019, 12:08 pm

earthmaiden i am not in Portland. Even if i was there is more then 30 Portland's in 22 different states.
So knowing I was in Portland would not nail down my location.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 30th, 2019, 12:33 pm

I loved blooming onions when I was in deepest Virginia and immediately went and bought myself a cutter so I could, and hce made them myself.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » August 30th, 2019, 3:25 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Wargarden - could you be in Portland?!

he's in baltimore.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 30th, 2019, 5:49 pm

Thought it was somewhere like that. I did not elaborate on the Portland as the branch of the eatery for which I posted a menu was one in Portland, Oregon.

There seems to be endless festival food these days of every sort imaginable, some disappointing.
Last edited by earthmaiden on August 30th, 2019, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby wargarden » August 30th, 2019, 5:56 pm

scullion technically i am not in Baltimore since I live near a more boring place.
but given where live i know better then everyone here how make Maryland fried chicken.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 1st, 2019, 3:54 pm

Wargarden I am not bothered about where you live but I am gravely concerned about your obsession with Maryland fried chicken. It can't be healthy and perhaps, if you aren't already, you shoulld seek help.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » September 1st, 2019, 10:22 pm

wargarden wrote:scullion technically i am not in Baltimore since I live near a more boring place.
but given where live i know better then everyone here how make Maryland fried chicken.

as you had previously intimated that that is where you live, the assumption was that that was true.
you undoubtedly know more about the fried chicken than most people on this board. being a vegetarian i'm totally disinterested but it isn't, generally, a popular dish in the uk, anyway, and i'm not sure that your one man campaign is going to convert us!

the 'maryland' dish that i do , guiltily, like is that seventies construction - the maryland cookie cake. chocolate chip biscuits, dipped in sherry (or whisky if you are harder), sandwiched together with whipped cream then covered with more whipped cream. i probably haven't eaten it for a few decades though. (snigger).
scullion
Registered

Postby wargarden » September 2nd, 2019, 3:46 am

scullion chicken maryland is older then 1970's over 170 years old
as for "the maryland cookie cake" never heard that one. do have picture of one
wargarden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 2nd, 2019, 3:56 am

Wargarden ... Scullion didn’t say that Chicken Maryland is from the 1970s :rolleyes: read more carefully and anyway, it’s really not popular in the UK ...

scullion wrote:........is that seventies construction - the maryland cookie cake .....

Sorry for all the edits ... I’m using my phone and it keeps getting the predictive text wrong :rolleyes:
Last edited by suffolk on September 2nd, 2019, 4:06 am, edited 5 times in total.
suffolk
Registered

Return to The Kitchen