fishy dishes

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

fishy dishes

Postby wargarden » September 7th, 2019, 12:48 pm

what are you favorite fish dishes.
wargarden
Registered

Re: fishy dishes

Postby suffolk » September 7th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Yesterday I had a Cromer Crab salad ... Cromer crabs are a small sweet brown crab from the North Norfolk coast ... unlike other crabs. As well as eating it fresh in a salad we love to make a Cromer Crab baked soufflé and eat that with dressed lambs lettuce for our supper.

We live near to the East Anglian coast and yesterday we went down to a little harbour where the fishermen sell their catch direct from a black tarred hut on the river bank ... we brought home a large line-caught ‘skate’ wing and we’ll have that tonight with a black butter and caper sauce ... we love fresh fish and eat it often :chops:
Last edited by suffolk on September 7th, 2019, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 7th, 2019, 1:35 pm

I love all fish and seafood and eat it frequently.
Anything from raw oysters to river fish via sea fish. The only things I won't eat is fish without the MCA certification which means fish which is sustainable. I wouldn't touch such fish as swordfish, illegally caught tuna, dredged scallops etc which makes it difficult sometimes in restaurants because they can't always verify the provenance of their fish.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 7th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Quite hard to choose one dish, it's like asking what one's favourite meat dish is, there are so many types.

There's battered white fish, various white fish baked or fried simply with a few squeezes of lemon juice, fish pie, smoked haddock with cheese sauce, kedgeree, soused herrings, kippers, fish pates, then all the shellfish and so many other dishes ...... the simplest often the best.

The fish I do not like is any unrecognisable fish which has been overcooked or served with a residue of water and lurking bones after poaching or steaming ... I am sure I am not alone in remembering the abominations served at school and in some homes in the 50s & 60s. No wonder so many people grew up hating fish.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Gruney » September 7th, 2019, 3:11 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Quite hard to choose one dish, it's like asking what one's favourite meat dish is, there are so many types.

There's battered white fish, various white fish baked or fried simply with a few squeezes of lemon juice, fish pie, smoked haddock with cheese sauce, kedgeree, soused herrings, kippers, fish pates, then all the shellfish and so many other dishes ...... the simplest often the best.

The fish I do not like is any unrecognisable fish which has been overcooked or served with a residue of water and lurking bones after poaching or steaming ... I am sure I am not alone in remembering the abominations served at school and in some homes in the 50s & 60s. No wonder so many people grew up hating fish.

I agree with everything you say EM - particularly "the simplest is often the best" - I'm thinking pan fried haddock or hake. Regrettably, my attempts at more sophisticated recipes have been disappointing. Having said that, daughter is visiting tomorrow, and I'll be doing salmon fillets and watercress, in a white wine, cream and capers sauce.

This is true. Only this morning, I was at the fish counter of our Morrison's - the lads there are extremely helpful. They had, on display, something I'd not tried before. I asked the lad, who seems to be very knowledgeable, what it was like. He said " I don't know - I don't eat fish - I don't like it." Well it tickled me.
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 7th, 2019, 3:32 pm

I couldn’t choose one dish

But one I haven’t had for a while and I may have to get, as I think it’s in season, is grilled Cornish red mullet

The lady on our Morrison’s fish counter who butterflied sardines immaculately - really, never either a bone in the flesh or a tear in the skin - went on maternity leave and never came back :( will have to get the fishmonger to do me some and freeze them. Instant supper smeared with harissa and grilled (the grill in the top of the oven)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » September 7th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Cullen skink!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby scullion » September 7th, 2019, 3:44 pm

some of the dishes my mum would serve up were a bit fishy!
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 7th, 2019, 3:52 pm

I’m very partial to undyed smoked haddock with a poached egg on top. Also omelette Arnold Bennett. Battered haddock and chips by the seaside is wonderful as is the aforementioned Cromer crab. Favourite breakfast is a grilled Craster kipper.

Not very keen on pilchards,
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Gruney » September 7th, 2019, 4:55 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Favourite breakfast is a grilled Craster kipper.

Now you're talking! :hungry:
Gruney
Registered

Postby Suelle » September 7th, 2019, 5:01 pm

Hard to beat a piece of battered fish from a chippy, when it's cooked well, but that's an occasional treat for me.

I don't often cook fish at home (barring a bit of crumbed or battered fish from the freezer), but if I see a dish with skate wings on a restaurant menu, I'm likely to choose that, if there is no shellfish in any accompanying sauce.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » September 7th, 2019, 5:46 pm

And then of course there’s grilled Norfolk Lobster with garlic and herb butter and a bottle of muscadet sur lie ... our ‘alternative Christmas dinner’ ... or just a treat when we deserve it ;)

Kedgeree for breakfast :drool:

A panfried homemade cod and potato fishcake with lots of fresh parsley in the inside and crispy breadcrumbs on the outside.

Fresh herrings, coated in oatmeal and pan fried.

Soft pan fried herring milts on wholemeal toast with caper butter

Pan fried Dover sole with a wedge of lemon, creamy mashed potatoes and petit pois

Roasted cod loin on butterbean mash
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 7th, 2019, 5:48 pm

Oooh yes .... jugged kippers for breakfast .... or a buttered Yarmouth bloater :drool:
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 7th, 2019, 7:48 pm

PS there’s a brilliant Kevin Bridges routine about trying to make a crisp sandwich using Anchor spreadable, but I can’t find it on lin

Ooops wrong thread
Last edited by StokeySue on September 7th, 2019, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby wargarden » September 7th, 2019, 8:08 pm

best tasting:
salmon with americaine sauce
nova smoked lox on bagel with cream cheese
smoked sable fish on bagel with cream cheese

worst tasting:
tuna noodle casserole
wargarden
Registered

Postby liketocook » September 8th, 2019, 10:31 am

Anything involving smoked fish is up there for me but apart from that I can't choose a favourite and it very much depends on the setting & time of year. I'm less keen on sole and actively dislike raw oysters, perch and fresh tuna (I like tinned and jarred) but apart from that I'm happy as long as the fish is fresh and decently cooked :)
I'll happily eat tuna noodle casserole type dishes in fact it's on my meal plan for this week.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 8th, 2019, 11:10 am

I absolutely loathe bagels.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 8th, 2019, 11:30 am

I love tuna noodle (or any pasta) casserole and I love bagels too. Crab and raw oysters (and the aforementioned school fish) are the food of the sea that I like least.

I asked on another thread how to eat Skate wing. I am deadly serious. I have only had it once - bought and cooked by me following directions from my Cordon Bleu book of fish cookery. I wonder if I did something wrong or if it was a rubbish piece of fish as I can't imagine anyone being enthusiastic about what I served.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 8th, 2019, 12:03 pm

We had ‘skate’ (well, one of its relatives as fishing for skate itself isn’t sustainable at the moment) for supper yesterday ... dipped in seasoned flour ... panfried in a mixture of butter and vegetable oil until the flesh in the centre of the thickest part of the ‘wing’ has just turned opaque. Be careful not to overcook as it turns to cotton wool. Remove from pan and keep warm ... melt a large knob of butter in the pan and heat to the ‘noisette’ stage, add lemon juice, rinsed capers and chopped parsley and drizzle over the ‘wings’ and serve.

To eat, simply scrape the flesh, a mouthful at a time, from the upper surface of the ‘wing’ until all the cartilaginous ‘ribs’ are exposed ... turn the ‘wing’ over and repeat. :chops:
Last edited by suffolk on September 8th, 2019, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 8th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I absolutely loathe bagels.

I like real ones from a proper biegel bakery (pronounced by-gal round here)
Most of those sold in supermarkets are twice the size they should be and have the wrong kind of crust

Those in John Lewis’ The Place to Eat are a disgrace, and in many other such coffee fe and sandwich places too

I went into the local Whole Foods Market the other day and Forman’s have renamed their bagel with lox and schmear (smoked salmon and cream cheese) the Boris Bagel. Given Boris and also Lance Forman’s current affiliation to the Brexit Party, they weren’t selling well in a strongly Labour remainder constituency

Never been a huge fan of skate, too gelatinous for my taste
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » September 8th, 2019, 12:37 pm

When you're in Scarborough, you must try Scarborough Woof.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 8th, 2019, 12:47 pm

patpoyntz wrote:Cullen skink!

Oh yes please!!! :hungry: :hungry: :chops: :chops:

Any variation on chowder will do me.

wargarden wrote:worst tasting:
tuna noodle casserole

That does sound pretty grim.... :)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 8th, 2019, 12:53 pm

I think I’ve only ever had the supermarket/mass produced bagels you mention Sue. So dense and chewy. Cannot see the point. Pinner used to have a sizeable Jewish contingent but no longer so no chance of anything authentic here.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 8th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Ah. The real ones are quite chewy. But not that dense - the boiling really makes them puff up as well as glazing the crust. Might have to walk down to Brick Lane some time
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » September 8th, 2019, 2:09 pm

I really don’t like bagels either . Battered fish from the chippy done well is a great treat and I also have a soft spot for a fishfinger . Sea bass simply pan fried with a little butter and lemon is my favourite fish . I also love salmon cooked en papilotte with fennel fronds, lemon , capers and white wine
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 8th, 2019, 4:44 pm

Thanks for the Skate eating advice Suffs. I am now convinced it was a dud piece because there was so little flesh between the ribs it wasn't really worth the effort. I must try again sometime.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 9th, 2019, 9:31 am

I love skate with black butter.

One of my favourite ways of cooking white fish fillets, especially things like hake, is on a bed of sliced tomatoes and topped with tapenade and persillade - chopped parsley and garlic then baked.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 9th, 2019, 9:33 am

earthmaiden wrote:Thanks for the Skate eating advice Suffs. I am now convinced it was a dud piece because there was so little flesh between the ribs it wasn't really worth the effort. I must try again sometime.

Perhaps it was too small a piece of skate ... because so much is bone you really do need a piece that'll almost cover your plate :hungry:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 9th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Like skate. With Rats about especially with black butter. :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » September 9th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Scallops every time.

My most favourite meal ever was during a visit to NZ.
We took the boat out into the Marlborough Sounds, found a deserted bay and hopped ashore.
Cousin got his wetsuit on and went diving for scallops; we ate loads raw straight from the shell.
Others were cooked on the barbecue.

Heaven is a scallop sandwich in one hand and a beer in the other!
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 9th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Oooh, that sounds truly wonderful!! :D :hungry:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby wargarden » September 9th, 2019, 7:30 pm

Seatallan does recipe use ice or roller skates and city or country rats
wargarden
Registered

Postby scullion » September 9th, 2019, 8:17 pm

ha ha, silly boy!
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 10th, 2019, 1:31 pm

wargarden wrote:Seatallan does recipe use ice or roller skates and city or country rats

:D :D :D

Reminds me of the bit in 'Shrek' when he makes Rat Kebabs for him and Princess Fiona :lol:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 15th, 2019, 8:21 am

There's no fish I don't like :chops: :chops: :chops:

Regarding Skate - really off-putting if it has just gone off and smells strongly of ammonia ! :shock: Took me a long time to try again, but when fresh and cooked perfectly it is a wonderful meaty fish imho :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Kitchen