'Spreadable' Butter

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: 'Spreadable' Butter

Postby suffolk » September 18th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Hear hear! Miss Mouse breaking down each end of the Dartford Tunnel on our last longish journey was far too ‘exciting’ :o Thank you for your kind wishes :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 18th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Arrgghh. I didn't want to remind you of that. It must have been awful. However, you survived which is what matters.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 18th, 2019, 8:43 pm

The car’s had a thorough ‘going over’ at the garage ... she knows the way by now ;) and our fingers are crossed. As OH doesnt drive I drive for two hours stop for one hour and eat and drink and walk around a bit ... and repeat ... so it’s not too tiring. :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » September 19th, 2019, 7:10 am

According to the International Agency for Research on Cancer, the relevant body of the WHO, glyphosate is still classified 2A, probably carcinogenic to humans.

https://monographs.iarc.fr/agents-class ... -the-iarc/

The evidence might not convince Radio 4 or Monsanto, and it is never possible to assign definite cause to individual cases (despite what Californian courts might find) but there is sufficient concern to interest the WHO. I'm more inclined to believe them.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » September 19th, 2019, 8:00 am

Yes, there was quite a fuss at the time about Anchor

Somehow this passed me by. I have never bought the stuff, maybe that's why.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 19th, 2019, 2:31 pm

I needed some of my usual butter today but there was none. I checked nearly every other pack and they were either "tendre" (spreadable) or 60% fat - written in minute print. The thing is what replaces the butter fat and what makes it spreadable. Unless I have my maginfying glass one would never know and the staff in that section didn't know either. They finally found me some of my usual brand but I really couldn't convince them that it isn't the same as what they had on display.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 19th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Badger's mate wrote:but there is sufficient concern to interest the WHO. I'm more inclined to believe them.

I was until I read the salt and BP summary, cutting salt out might reduce a persons BP by 2mm mercury. Hmm when my life hangs by such a slender thread it is time to make my peace with the world. They totally lost credibility for me.

An interesting Ted Talk, a woman doctor saying that hand soap and hand washing facilities saves more lives than vaccination and the rest of the worthy efforts.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » September 20th, 2019, 7:45 am

This is the WHO factsheet on salt.

https://www.who.int/en/news-room/fact-s ... -reduction

I doubt that this would be considered controversial amongst the medical profession. No doubt someone on the internet disagrees with it.

Glyphosate is classified by some agencies as probably carcinogenic, and by others not. This is not an uncommon occurrence, studies that shows a carcinogenic effect might be given more or less credit by different regulatory agencies when weighing up the body of information. Also, as time goes on and further studies are performed, new evidence comes to light and the consensus shifts. As an industrial chemist for 34 years, I saw this happen for many substances, generally becoming classified more hazardous as the years rolled on.

The classification and labelling of hazardous chemicals has in the past been done differently around the world, giving rise to different information in the US from the EU for example. Over the last few years there has been a move by the major regulatory regimes to adopt the Globally Harmonised System GHS.

Amusingly, the rules around these things mean that glyphosate is not classified carcinogenic under GHS, but due to its toxicity to aquatic life, the safety data sheet is obliged to include the precautionary statement 'Avoid release to the environment'
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 30th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Anchor has just released a more spreadable spreadable apparently.
Herbidacious
Registered

Previous

Return to The Kitchen