Pasta thickness

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Pasta thickness

Postby Gruney » September 14th, 2019, 1:28 pm

I'm anxious to get cracking making fresh pasta, using my new pasta machine - it's an Atlas 150. I've read the instructions, and researched the subject to death on the internet, but what little information there is on the best thickness for various pasta shapes is really quite contradictory eg. Instructions - fetuccini 1.5mm - that's setting number 5 out of 9; against a website - 1mm. Of course, it all could come down to personal preference, but I am a complete stranger in a strange land here, and am hoping someone could point me in the right direction, please.
Gruney
Registered

Re: Pasta thickness

Postby wargarden » September 14th, 2019, 10:08 pm

the real tough part is letting the pasta dry correctly.
wargarden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 14th, 2019, 10:47 pm

I have only made pasta with a machine once, at classes, but it is quite forgiving really. You start off at the thicker settings then roll again and again going down one each time. We did tagliatelle I think and ravioli which was great. Not everyone likes Giorgio Locatelli but I find the methodology in his book on Italian cookery very good. He suggests going to 1.5mm for everything. Then if you are cutting into strips it would be 2cm for Papparadele, 2mm for Taglolini, 8mm for tagliatelle or large squares for lasagne, canneloni or ravioli (which you cut with cutters and moisten and stick two pieces together with a filling in the centre).

I think for your first try around 1.5mm would work and as you get more proficient you can experiment further. Someone here might be able to recommend another book.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Gruney » September 15th, 2019, 6:10 am

wargarden wrote:the real tough part is letting the pasta dry correctly.

Thank you - but as I said, I'm interested in making fresh pasta.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Gruney » September 15th, 2019, 6:18 am

Thanks EM - I happen to like Giorgio Locatelli a lot, and I'll go with his recommendation. I did a lot of experimenting yesterday afternoon - the instruction booklet recommends running a piece of dough through the rollers to clean them, so I've at least got the "hand feel" of different thicknesses.

Thanks again.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 15th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Gruney ... now look what you’ve done !!!! :shock:

I was just saying I’d like to make pasta and OH has only gone and bought me this https://m.procook.co.uk/product/procook ... ated-steel (he gets a very healthy staff discount ;) ). When we get back from our holiday I shall be expecting lots of tips and tricks as you’ll have got a head start on me :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » September 15th, 2019, 3:34 pm

suffolk wrote:Gruney ... now look what you’ve done !!!!

I have powers! :lol:
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 15th, 2019, 3:51 pm

Gruney wrote:
suffolk wrote:Gruney ... now look what you’ve done !!!!

I have powers! :lol:

:kneel:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby wargarden » September 15th, 2019, 10:56 pm

you need to let fresh pasta dry and rest before you boil it.
wargarden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 16th, 2019, 6:45 am

wargarden wrote:you need to let fresh pasta dry and rest before you boil it.

Not according to the skilled Italian lady who I watched rolling out and cutting the pasta in her son’s award winning restaurant kitchen in Tuscany many years ago. She tossed it straight into the boiling pot.

Edited to add: I’ve just found this which agrees that the pasta can be cooked immediately ... or dried

https://www.recipesfromitaly.com/make-i ... ade-pasta/
Last edited by suffolk on September 16th, 2019, 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » September 16th, 2019, 7:25 am

wargarden wrote:you need to let fresh pasta dry and rest before you boil it.

The instructions that come with my machine give tips on how to prevent it from drying out, before cooking as soon as possible. If you dry it, it ceases to be "fresh" pasta, and becomes "dried" pasta.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 16th, 2019, 7:44 am

I used to make a lot, and I used to hang it out on a little drying rack like the one in your link, Suffs.
I can't remember the instructions. This is pre internet days so it would have suggested this in them I think. It did stop it all sticking together of course. Maybe that is the point.

You'd probably have to work really quite quickly to put it straight into the pot before it sticks together, which you probably won't be able to do if you are a novice, but you can just lay it out on a tea towel - rack not required.

Re thickness, I think I just ran it through until it felt right, but I was just making tagliatelli type things. It was a basic machine and din't do anything fancy. My parents bought it for me for getting my BA, I think :) Perhaps I should have another go too!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Gruney » September 16th, 2019, 8:28 am

Herbidacious wrote:You'd probably have to work really quite quickly to put it straight into the pot before it sticks together, which you probably won't be able to do if you are a novice, but you can just lay it out on a tea towel - rack not required.

The instructions say what you have said - lay it on a damp tea towel, then cook immediately.

Now you've admitted to being experienced, you could well be in for a bit of pestering :D
Gruney
Registered

Postby scullion » September 16th, 2019, 9:46 am

i agree, i think, when making fresh pasta, hanging it on a rack is so that it doesn't all stick together while you roll enough to feed a number of people (well, that's what i've found). it's still soft and pliable when it gets cooked.
i use the clothes horse.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 16th, 2019, 10:06 am

Gruney, not done it for ages. I moved to a house with no table to clamp it onto and I just got out of the habit. No excuse now, though, unless lazyness counts :) I think the instructions did specify how many times one should run it through the rollers, but they have long since gone AWOL.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Gruney » September 16th, 2019, 10:42 am

Herbi - my instructions say to put it through the smooth rollers, at maximum gap, 6 or 7 times - flouring and folding over each time, before reducing the gap, then rolling without folding, a step at a time, until the required thickness is achieved - which brings us neatly back to where we started :D
Gruney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 16th, 2019, 12:54 pm

I think we're all more or less agreeing with the process - and I remember hanging it to separate it but not dry it.
When are you going to bite the bullet Gruney? The suspense is killing us :lol: . I know you'll love the results and you can tweak to your heart's content once you've had some initial tries!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 16th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Yes, that rings bells. Getting air bubbles out etc...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Gruney » September 16th, 2019, 1:42 pm

earthmaiden wrote:When are you going to bite the bullet Gruney?

I spent quite a bit of time getting the hang of it on Saturday - I think I need three hands. There's obviously a knack to it - my offering seemed to become narrower with each rolling, but I can work that out easily enough. My biggest problem was getting the dough to the correct consistency - it was definitely more troublesome than pastry. All the recipes I've read - and I've researched this to death - state eggs. Only in Antonio Carluccio's book - "Pasta" - does he state medium eggs. There again, he says to add a pinch of salt - the instruction booklet says, in bold letters - "do not add salt" - so here we go again. The booklet makes no mention of resting the dough, but everyone else does. But nowhere is there any indication of how many times you have to pick it up from the floor!

I'm fixed up for tonight and tomorrow, so blast off will be Wednesday.
Gruney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 16th, 2019, 2:02 pm

:lol: :lol: :chef:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » September 16th, 2019, 4:33 pm

Gruney wrote: There's obviously a knack to it - my offering seemed to become narrower with each rolling, but I can work that out easily enough.

don't pull it as you collect it from the rollers, just support it (if you can) and it does help to have a long stretch of counter to lay it on so it doesn't fold up and stick to itself. i think i saw a demonstration by a 'celebchef' where they dusted the counter with semolina to stop it sticking.
looks like you may have started a trend, i'm thinking that i might get my machine off the shelf - i haven't made pasta for a while.
the pain is the cleaning of it!
scullion
Registered

Postby Gruney » September 16th, 2019, 4:43 pm

Thanks Scullion - yes, that's definitely one of the mistakes I was making, and when it does fold up on itself, you're snookered, aren't you?
Gruney
Registered

Postby wargarden » September 16th, 2019, 6:56 pm

when comes to pasta i remember having it one time with it covered chile con carne.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Gruney » September 18th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Well I've broken my duck - papardelle, with a pork ragu. I have to admit to being pretty worried, but i held my nerve, and it turned out perfectly.
Thanks everyone for the support and advice - it's great to have a new skill.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 18th, 2019, 7:20 pm

:kneel: :chef: :hungry:
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 18th, 2019, 9:42 pm

:tu: :tu: :tu:
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » September 18th, 2019, 9:58 pm

Glad it turned out well. What's next? :hungry:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Gruney » September 18th, 2019, 10:00 pm

The sky :lol:
Gruney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 18th, 2019, 11:13 pm

:lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 19th, 2019, 4:36 am

“To infinity and beyond ...” :chef:
suffolk
Registered

Return to The Kitchen