Felicity makes Summer Pudding

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Felicity makes Summer Pudding

Postby Pepper Pig » September 18th, 2019, 12:25 pm

I noticed redcurrants in Waitrose this morning but as I also spotted some greengages I went for them instead.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/s ... ity-cloake
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Felicity makes Summer Pudding

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » September 18th, 2019, 12:39 pm

One of the few puddings I can’t stand , summer pudding . Could think of a hundred better uses for berries than with squelchy bread
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 18th, 2019, 1:13 pm

I didn't think I'd like it until I was served some at a relative's house. I was amazed how it didn't seem like squelchy bread after all, quite a magical transformation IMO. I recently stayed with the same relative, now more elderly and she said we were having summer pud. I was quite excited but it was a Waitrose one. Very disappointing, instead of lining the bowl with bread they had layered it and it didn't work well at all.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 18th, 2019, 1:32 pm

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:One of the few puddings I can’t stand , summer pudding . Could think of a hundred better uses for berries than with squelchy bread

Totally agree, I think it’s disgusting...........it’s a good job we are all different.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » September 18th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Can't bear wet bread.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 19th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Ooh summer pudding! :luv: :luv: :luv: :luv: :chops: Now you're talking!

I have normally eaten and enjoyed home made ones. Supermarket summer puddings taste very supermarket to me. I agree about the Waitrose one. I found it odd too.

I would like to make a winter or autumn pudding one day from other fruits.

Summer pudding is one of the rare occasions I will ask for pouring cream. :hungry:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 19th, 2019, 1:38 pm

I absolutely love summer pudding but I woldn't put as many redcurrants in as Felicity. I inckude just abiut any berries that are around with more raspberries by proportion. I also always make my own bread for it too. I think you must have a close textured loaf. Supermarket bread just won't do.

Tezza I love making autumn pudding. I stew harder fruits like quinces, pears and apples and add ripe plums, green gages, blackberries etc. My secret weapon is a bit of creme de mures (Blackberry liqueuer)
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » September 19th, 2019, 1:41 pm

I love summer pudding like I love spending 8 hours in an airport with no air-conditioning. the very thought of putting all that wonderful fresh fruit with stodgy old bread just doesn´t fit for me.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » September 19th, 2019, 2:03 pm

My secret weapon is a bit of creme de mures (Blackberry liqueuer)

A friend gave me some HM 'blackberry port'. This is used in our summer puds. :tu:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby scullion » September 19th, 2019, 3:31 pm

i think i'm in the midway camp.
i've made it a couple of times and have been pleasantly surprised but it doesn't get asked for and doesn't appear on the radar when i'm think of a pudding. it comes above bread and butter pudding, macaroni pudding, and my mother's rice pudding (the two former i've never made and wouldn't dream of making the latter in the way my mother made it).
not sure i'd want a pudding with all of the redcurrant pips still in - and only raspberries otherwise. a mix of other fruits is much more interesting, especially if they've, mostly, stayed intact and are little individual flavour bombs. don't think i'll be making it any time soon, though.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 19th, 2019, 4:48 pm

Felicity’s would be quite similar to the way I’ve made it but I would cook the currants with the sugar then only add the raspberries as they are taken off the heat. I’d also prefer a greater variety of fruit

I agree you need to use good bread with a well-structured crumb, ideally imo a London bloomer

I’ve never seen the point of buttering the mould, more inclined to make a cold pud stick than release?

There’s an autumn/winter variant made with a compote of fresh and dried fruits, ideally with a shot of Calvados or similar, can be very good
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen