cooking/baking experiments gone well !

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

cooking/baking experiments gone well !

Postby wargarden » September 19th, 2019, 7:16 pm

I love experiment mixing new things together or cooking in new ways. As you can
guess sometimes things turn out better then you thought trun into culinary nirvana.
please list or describe your culinary success so other can enjoy them.
i started a sister thread for those experiments that went bad .
So post your bad results there and you good ones here

Success sugar and liquid left over from spices apple rings mixed with sugar.
the result a red drizzle cinnamon and apple flavor.
wargarden
Registered

Re: cooking/baking experiments gone well !

Postby Herbidacious » September 20th, 2019, 8:46 am

I don't bake enough to dare experimenting. If I don't stick to the recipe exactly it tends to go wrong. One needs a lot of experience to have a sense of what might work, and although I (and we all, I imagine) have this for flavour parings, I don't in terms of the mechanics (or physics) of baking.
Re cooking, it feels like the main scope for experimentation is flavour, and I suppose I do this in a minor way all the time, but nothing major springs to mind. I do seek out interesting recipes for novelty's sake, but that's benefiting from someone else's experimentation. e.g. from The Food Lab, or The Vegan Pantry. I guess you won't be seeing the Herbidacious Cook book anytime soon...!

The only blatant experimentation I can think of has been with regard to smoking food. I used to keep a little notebook for this. Basically it probably boils down to smoking raw vegetables is a waste of time. Chickpeas didn't work. Smoked cooked tomatoes, mushrooms, aubergines, peppers, onions... yum.

But this is not really what you are after, Wargarden. Perhaps I am not very adventurous and/or a bit risk aversive. I don't really have time to play around in the kitchen, alas. I am very time constrained by my job and longish commute.
Herbidacious
Registered

Re: cooking/baking experiments gone well !

Postby karadekoolaid » September 20th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Your soy drizzle experiment will work - but on the stove top, cooked gently at medium heat, and stirred frequently. I add ginger, garlic and some star anise to make Ketcap Manis, which comes out gloriously thick and sticky. I´ve also done a teriyaki sauce the same way, and a Mexican style salsa with tomatoes, onions and jalapeños, all blended together then cooked gently together.
I´m not a great fan of microwaving. Far too much energy which I cannot control.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Return to The Kitchen