[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Raw apple cider vinegar

Raw apple cider vinegar

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Raw apple cider vinegar

Postby Pepper Pig » September 21st, 2019, 5:17 am

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/s ... hy-vinegar

I'd have a go if I hadn't been such a good little housewife and already dealt with my windfall apples. 8-) 8-) 8-)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Raw apple cider vinegar

Postby earthmaiden » September 21st, 2019, 7:20 am

One of the most healthy and vivacious people I knew took a spoonful of cider vinegar every morning and I have read more and more about it being a magic food lately. When I bought a bottle recently for a recipe, I then found 3 more bottles languishing in the cupboard. I am going to start taking a spoonful every day - watch this space! If I become healthy and vivacious I shall need this recipe :). (otherwise I prefer stewed apple)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » September 21st, 2019, 9:43 am

KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 21st, 2019, 10:09 am

I believe a dessert or tablespoon. I know it was more than a teaspoon. I think it is better to put it into warm water.

I have just 'googled' and there is quite a lot about it. This piece gives a lot of warnings which are probably worth considering before reading/seeking proper advice, especially if you suffer from any if the conditions mentioned! https://www.livestrong.com/article/4948 ... r-per-day/
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » September 21st, 2019, 11:12 am

Thanks EM, it's my OH, who was diagnosed pre-diabetic and had previously found the vinegar really helped his knees. But he has needed to be a bit careful with it and we were talking about how much he should still take. I think he was definitely taking too much before.
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 21st, 2019, 11:54 am

StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 21st, 2019, 12:42 pm

earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 21st, 2019, 1:06 pm

Thank you, Sue for your uaual dose of common sense backed by proper research. Not that I can get windfall apples anyway.

moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 21st, 2019, 1:27 pm

em perhaps you could make some herb jellies with apples and your cider vinegar?
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 21st, 2019, 3:36 pm

The reason I wanted it recently was that it was an ingredient in the veg salad I made for our Polish evening. Given that the veg was of the year round sort and very tasty I might make it regularly through the winter. I have never made or eaten herb jelly - what do you do with it/eat it with?

Going back to the OP, does anyone here make their own vinegar?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 22nd, 2019, 4:01 pm

You serve it as an accompaniment. So eg mint jelly with lamb, tarragon jelly with chicken.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 22nd, 2019, 5:38 pm

Oh how silly of me - of course! I've never made any though, maybe I will.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 28th, 2019, 3:22 pm

Homemade apple and mint jelly is so much better with lamb than any bought stuff :chops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 28th, 2019, 7:02 pm

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 29th, 2019, 6:36 am

Think Scully makes her own vinegar ... she once gave me a vinegar ‘mother’ but I wasn’t able to keep it alive ☹️
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 29th, 2019, 7:52 am

I’ve not made it, but I’m not a great user of vinegar
Ma cousine in France had a special ceramic vinegar pot and used to feed it with odds and ends of wine, the end result was fine but I didn’t specially notice. IanInFrance did it too
Like this
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 29th, 2019, 9:52 am

I have a couple of stone vinegar jars too. One for white and one for red. I can't count the number of bits of mere I have given away. Mine came from a Belgian friend
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » September 29th, 2019, 9:59 am

yes, i still do, ian sent me some of his red wine mother a few years back. do you want some of it?
i do red and white but the white is having a bit of a hissy fit at the moment (i think i left it too long before refreshing).
scullion
Registered

Return to The Kitchen