aspics?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

aspics?

Postby wargarden » October 2nd, 2019, 4:53 pm

does any one make savory aspic anymore?
or should they be relegated to dust bin of history
I had one over week end; a tomato aspic a friends mother made..
Last edited by wargarden on October 2nd, 2019, 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wargarden
Registered

Re: aspics?

Postby suffolk » October 2nd, 2019, 5:41 pm

I occasionally use aspic as a glaze for cold poached fish, canapés, or to set the filling of a cold game pie or similar although I’d usually make my own with pigs trotters etc for the latter rather than buy the gelatine.

I think that over here vegetables in aspic went out with Fanny Cradock ... although I’ve seen some fruit terrines using gelatine in restaurants just recently. Perhaps they’re staging a comeback ... don’t think the veg will tho’
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 3rd, 2019, 12:44 pm

suffolk wrote:I think that over here vegetables in aspic went out with Fanny Cradock ... although I’ve seen some fruit terrines using gelatine in restaurants just recently. Perhaps they’re staging a comeback ... don’t think the veg will tho’

Goodness I hope not! That's one 'we'll eat again' dish I could definitely do without. :)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 3rd, 2019, 1:06 pm

I thought they went out with Mrs Beeton actually :lol:. I have to admit that I have never eaten vegetables set in aspic. If the flavouring was good it might be very nice, I think that Rats said she made a version and I'm sure it is good. I like the jelly that comes with meat such as brawn, pork cheese, pork pies etc so I suppose a few veg would be alright. It just always looks very bland- but doesn't need to be.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 3rd, 2019, 1:06 pm

The two best known dishes here are probably oeufs en gelee which I have made though not recently.

Even if ou don't read French this will give you the idea. It's a favourite dish at the weekends for our traiteur

The other is the Burgundian dish jambon persilee and I do make that especially for a buffet party.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqxRUQoJbIo

I think I have mentioned already that the French lik thnever featureeir aspics but sweet jelly dishes and not made or appreciated.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 3rd, 2019, 1:36 pm

They both look delicious Rats.
I love sweet jelly, especially with fruit set in it. I expect to harks back to childhood when it was a treat.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 3rd, 2019, 1:54 pm

I love a mixed berry terrine set in jelly made with rose wine. It's one of my summer signatures - only not for neighbours!

I also make fresh orange segments set in lemon jelly with a splash of cointreau - not that I cook with booze every day you understand.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 3rd, 2019, 3:33 pm

Ratatouille wrote:I love a mixed berry terrine set in jelly made with rose wine. It's one of my summer signatures - only not for neighbours!

I also make fresh orange segments set in lemon jelly with a splash of cointreau - not that I cook with booze every day you understand.

Both of those dishes sound divine, just what I would choose to eat as a pudding - light and refreshing.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 3rd, 2019, 3:34 pm

The only times I’ve ever eaten vegetables in aspic it was served by an American friend for big celebratory family meals ... around 1980 ish ... and she said it was rather old fashioned but her Texan husband liked it as it reminded him of eating at his Grandma’s when he was a child.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 4th, 2019, 9:44 am

I have nothing instrinically against aspic, although I have to admit I think it looks a bit unpleasant to me. The metaphorical use of 'in aspic' perhaps captures some of my reaction. It evokes fusty, 1950s grandma-esque unused front rooms to me. When I ate pork pies, I found the jelly revolting.

I have avoided eating aspic dishes when offered, as they are more often than not not vegetarian and have shied away from recipes using gelatine over the years as it's never been clear to me how to substitute vegetarian versions. I imagine there are more receipes out there now which just use the vegetarian subs.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 4th, 2019, 10:50 am

I am not, on the whole, a fussy eater but I have to discard the aspic jelly stuff in pork pies. It's vile.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby wargarden » October 4th, 2019, 12:59 pm

pippa you can make your own congealed stock for better results. personally i prefer to use powdered gelatin instead boiling trotters.
this also prevents off flavors.
wargarden
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 4th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I am not, on the whole, a fussy eater but I have to discard the aspic jelly stuff in pork pies. It's vile.

Bung it over here ... it’s the best bit :chops: I guess you’re not a fan of pork brawn then? :hungry:
suffolk
Registered

Postby wargarden » October 4th, 2019, 1:30 pm

some aspic recipes from 1974
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/36714985/
wargarden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 4th, 2019, 1:53 pm

The thing is though that gelatine is flavourless. I have just looked first at Mrs Beeton who sticks with calves foot for savoury and packet gelatine for sweet and then at my trusty Betty Crocker to see what they use for the American 'salad' concoctions and find it is fruit flavoured gelatine. Cherry, lemon, strawberry etc depending on the other ingredients. The only one using plain gelatine is moulded apricot salad where apricot juice is used to dissolve it and then added to whipped cream cheese and chopped apricots added to the mix. It is left to set in a ring and when ready, turned out and served with salad greens in the centre. The others are served in a similar way (cabbage, radishes, celery, peppers & onion set in lemon jelly mixed with mayo before setting, pineapple and carrots set in orange, cucumber, celery & spring onion set in lime etc).

I wonder when packet gelatine was introduced. My Mrs Beeton was my grandmother's 1912 edition.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 4th, 2019, 1:55 pm

The clipping looks interesting war garden. It doesn't enlarge well on my phone, will try on the laptop later.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 4th, 2019, 3:05 pm

Those aspic recipes take me straight back to the dinner parties my parents would throw in that era. Really reminds me of being a wee girl.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 4th, 2019, 4:38 pm

American tomato aspic is more of a jellied salad to my mind, I think there’s a distinction but would hesitate to write a definition, there’s probably one in Larousse

You used to be able to buy packets of aspic, jelly granules, gelatine flavoured with a sort of consommé flavouring, which I think was mainly yeast extract. Haven’t seen it in the UK since I bought a pack at Fenwick’s Food Hall on Bond Street in the 70s, think I might have seen it in France since.

Not a fan of savoury jelly generally and I don’t need to do the fiddly kind of buffet food that calls for it.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » October 4th, 2019, 7:14 pm

I hate savoury jelly in any form . Just wrong in my opinion
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby wargarden » October 4th, 2019, 8:13 pm

earthmaiden wrote:The clipping looks interesting war garden. It doesn't enlarge well on my phone, will try on the laptop later.

i will post a few more clippings on aspic tomorrow.
phones are not usually good for looking at pdf files.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 4th, 2019, 8:33 pm

I repeat. Bleeurgh.

And plus calories.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 5th, 2019, 8:20 am

suffolk wrote:
Pepper Pig wrote:I am not, on the whole, a fussy eater but I have to discard the aspic jelly stuff in pork pies. It's vile.

Bung it over here ... it’s the best bit :chops: I guess you’re not a fan of pork brawn then? :hungry:

:hungry: My mum made the best pork brawn I ever tasted … whenever I make a meat stock that has jellified I could eat that off a spoon ! :oops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 5th, 2019, 8:33 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
suffolk wrote:

:hungry: My mum made the best pork brawn I ever tasted … whenever I make a meat stock that has jellified I could eat that off a spoon ! :oops:

I do ... :bounce: :drool: :chops: :oops:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 5th, 2019, 10:01 am

Me too :chops: I use the family recipe for potted meat and every time the family come near they ask for it. It is set using a calves foot (cow heel in the NE) shin of beef and some ham or bacon, seasoned and cooked until the meat falls off the bones and can be shredded with 2 forks. then the whole lot set with the resulting liquid. Trouble is I find calves foot quite difficult to find these days.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 5th, 2019, 10:13 am

Oh and me! My dad adored brawn. I remember my sister very bravely making him some from scratch when he was recovering from a serious operation. My sister was very squeamish about things like that so it really did take some courage (bless her :luv: ).
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 5th, 2019, 11:27 am

What a wonderful present your sister made Seatallen ... that’d certainly put me back on the road to recovery.

When we moved to Suffolk from Beds Ma was very confused by visitors’ praise for her pork cheese ... she’d never heard brawn called that before.
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » October 5th, 2019, 2:33 pm

i remember my mother making brawn, once - well, i think that's what it was. i can't remember if it was similar to the one from the butcher or not - i can't even remember eating it, though i can remember the head being cleavered.
it's not something you see much of in these days of big supermarkets, is it? - or haslet? but then i suppose i don't frequent the meat aisle or butchers shops.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 5th, 2019, 3:10 pm

You can still get haslet and ‘pork cheese’ from most of the butchers around here Scully ... but you probably don’t want to ;)
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 5th, 2019, 3:30 pm

I haven't seen pork cheese since I lived in Norfolk 50 years ago. A similar thing my mother did was to cook some ordinary beef mince with seasoning, pour into mould/teacups and turn out served with salad when cold. There was enough jelly for it to set, it was rather nice.

I suppose that brawn and pork cheese have similar ingredients but I expect pork cheese to be made in and turned out of a bowl so that the meat ends up on top with a thick layer of jelly underneath. I expect brawn to be set in a rectangular container and to be served sliced with equal amounts of the meat and jelly throughout.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 5th, 2019, 4:11 pm

scullion wrote:i can remember the head being cleavered.

I always remember a client of mine, years ago, who inadvertently bought half a pig's head thinking it was some sort of unusually cheap roasting joint. Bless her, she was horrified when she took it out of the bag when she got home. Apparently one of her children actually vomited.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 5th, 2019, 5:48 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I haven't seen pork cheese since I lived in Norfolk 50 years ago. A similar thing my mother did was to cook some ordinary beef mince with seasoning, pour into mould/teacups and turn out served with salad when cold. There was enough jelly for it to set, it was rather nice.

I suppose that brawn and pork cheese have similar ingredients but I expect pork cheese to be made in and turned out of a bowl so that the meat ends up on top with a thick layer of jelly underneath. I expect brawn to be set in a rectangular container and to be served sliced with equal amounts of the meat and jelly throughout.

For me brawn consists of small chunks of meat chopped by hand, whereas the pork cheese sold around here has the meat ‘shredded’ more like rillettes ... but for both the jelly is fairly evenly distributed rather than there being a clear layer of jelly. In our house the shape of the brawn depended on whatever dishes Ma had available at the time ... usually large pudding basins. :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 5th, 2019, 8:32 pm

Brawn :sprout:
Mum fortunately never made it,I never liked either the texture, or the [lack of] flavour of those I’ve tasted
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 5th, 2019, 9:17 pm

Interesting Suffs. I agree about the way the meat is prepared. The only pork cheese I've ever had was that made by our local butcher and it was as I described with a distinct layers of meat and jelly. Both that and the brawn I have had in various places have been delicious and certainly not lacking in flavour.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby wargarden » October 19th, 2019, 12:14 pm

The latest internet trend I can’t get enough of: gelatin
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... rnet-trend
wargarden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 19th, 2019, 1:27 pm

:lol:. You're right on trend wargarden!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » October 19th, 2019, 5:42 pm

thankfully, there is only a little mention of people actually eating it.

when you treat a verruca with potassium hydroxide the gunge that gets scraped out is quite jelly-like - which, possibly, is what it is, really.
scullion
Registered

Return to The Kitchen