recipes in advertisements.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: recipes in advertisements.

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » October 13th, 2019, 2:40 pm

I always think with the salt argument , if you buy a lot of pre packaged processed food , you’re going to ingest a lot more salt (and also a lot more dats of different types and other nasties).

I do like quite salty food, such as anchovies , generous add with cooking depending if it’s needed but overall more than happy with my intake
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 14th, 2019, 12:06 am

I notice that many American recipes specify low sodium broth or low sodium soy sauce, which is not so common in British recipes.

Dietary changes that are suggested for various reasons seem to go mainstream far more readily in the US than here, for example we never took to low cholesterol products in the same way, cholesterol free egg replacers were widely available in US grocery stores for many years when they were virtually unknown in the UK
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 16th, 2019, 9:48 am

The saltiness of soy sauce is partly what I like about it.

All things in moderation...? At least don't mess with traditional ingredients, perhaps. Although what counts as a traditonal version of soy sauce is a moot point.

Even Kikoman are at it

"All soy sauces contain a large quantity of salt which is intrinsic to the product, although Japanese-style sauces like Kikkoman usually contain less salt than Chinese versions. However, using soy sauce as a seasoning means you don't have to add extra salt to your food so your overall salt consumption should not increase. It should be used in measured amounts in dishes rather than poured freely. Health concerns over salt consumption is a serious challenge for western diets, so Kikkoman also make a Less Salt Soy Sauce, which contains 43% less salt than its original naturally brewed soy sauce for those looking to decrease their salt intake further."
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 16th, 2019, 1:01 pm

I always use the reduced salt Kikkoman and quite honestly have not noticed the difference.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Rainbow » October 16th, 2019, 10:33 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I always use the reduced salt Kikkoman and quite honestly have not noticed the difference.

I use that too, EM, and like you I haven't noticed any change in the taste.
Rainbow
Registered

Previous

Return to The Kitchen