Roux revelation.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Roux revelation.

Postby wargarden » October 30th, 2019, 7:14 am

usually i make roux with butter or oil.
last saturday i did a little experiment with 3 types
dippings, butter and vegetable oil.
I made bechamel separately with
all five fats. just to see how much a difference fats
effected the taste of final product..
I had a few people taste all five to see if they could taste
difference. it was blind tasting so it was quite
interesting. the five I used were bacon fat, beef drippings,
chicken fat, unsalted butter, rape seed oil.
I only told tasters that the were five different fats
used but not which fats i used. 3 tasters were able tell
the beef drippings and bacon from the 5 they tasted.
2 of them could not name fat but said the butter one has
nice sweetest.
Any one ever got creative with roux like this !!
wargarden
Registered

Re: Roux revelation.

Postby earthmaiden » October 30th, 2019, 8:59 am

Sounds similar to the difference between making gravy (the UK sort) where you use meat drippings from the pan, butter for a bechamel or sweet white sauce etc. I think most people will have done it and chosen the fat according to the dish. One of my favourite white sauces is when the juices/fat from a pan of fried sausages is used and served with leeks which have been cooked in the milk used :chops:. My ma used to do that for a meal of sausages, leeks and potatoes.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » October 30th, 2019, 12:35 pm

i don't usually use different fats - mainly because, as a vegetarian, i don't do drippings and lard.
i haven't made a roux for a very long time, maybe since school, i make a sauce using the all in one method. i haven't noticed any difference in the finished sauce and it's much quicker - and if making a cheese sauce you can cut down the fat level.
i think it would be understandable that someone could tell the difference between the dripping ones, especially the bacon fat one, as it has a very obvious taste/smell.

i used to get my kids to do taste tests on different things to point out that the name/price didn't mean it was better. the most notable one was with milk and plain chocolate bars of umpteen different brands and supermarket own brands. they thought, of the big two, cadburys milk was too sweet and galaxy tasted of mushrooms. i think milka came out best in the milk category and tesco basic in the plain.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 30th, 2019, 3:19 pm

Agree with earthmaiden, If I am making béchamel, with milk and / or cream, then the roux base is always flour and butter, because as far as I am concerned that’s the recipe

If I am making the roux as the base for a velouté, whether sauce or soup in which the roux is thinned with stock, then I may well use the related fat from cooking the ingredients or a related one, for example if making beef mirroring with leftover meat, I cook onions in beef dripping (if I have enough) add flour to make a roux, then add stock or leftover thin gravy or jus to make the sauce

Can’t say I’ve ever tried tasting different roux like that, did you thin them to sauce consistency with something before tasting?

But like scullion I’m a great believer in tasting different versions of things, preferably in direct comparison, there turns out (for example) to be virtually no correlation between price and the taste of extra virgin olive oil. I have done it with things I’ve made too, but can’t think of a good example at the moment
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen