Bulgur wheat -v- cous cous

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Bulgur wheat -v- cous cous

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 30th, 2019, 8:57 am

I know there is a difference between the two, but I am wondering which would be best to stuff a small Harlequin squash that has been languishing on the counter top for a couple of weeks now while I wait for inspiration.

btw: I have bulgur wheat already ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Bulgur wheat -v- cous cous

Postby Suelle » October 30th, 2019, 9:00 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
btw: I have bulgur wheat already ;)

I think you know the answer already, in that case! ;)
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » October 30th, 2019, 9:05 am

I agree with Suelle! They'd both do the trick anyway (I assume you'd pre cook either of them?).
Last edited by earthmaiden on October 30th, 2019, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 30th, 2019, 9:06 am

;) :tu: :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 30th, 2019, 9:10 am

For that kind of stuffing bulgur has more texture and flavour than couscous so it’s the obvious choice imo

I do use couscous rather than rice or bread mixed in which minced meat in stuffed tomatoes, peppers etc, I like the texture
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 30th, 2019, 11:13 am

Another vote for vulgar wheat (as I call it :D ). I think couscous would be too delicate for stuffing squash. Sounds lovely!
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 30th, 2019, 2:57 pm

As I only had bulgar, I went with that :tu: Glad you all agree ;) :lol: … I had to look up how long to bake the squash for and my instinct was correct in baking it 'blind' for about 20 minutes before stuffing. I have yet to taste the finished dish, however there was more than enough cooked stuffing (chopped onion, red pepper, peas, curry powder and about 10 minutes simmering with the wheat in a veg stock) and I have to say how much I enjoyed my first attempt at not only cooking with it but (knowingly) tasting it :tu: :chops:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 30th, 2019, 4:36 pm

:chops: Sounds divine Patsy! :tu:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » November 2nd, 2019, 11:30 am

Thank you for reminding me of Bulgar wheat, known as Pougori here, we shall have Tabbouleh tomorrow. We have lots of parsley and the mint is recovering from summer. Some of the local tavernas have a habit of referring to pougori as cous cous ,which of course is wrong

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby scullion » November 2nd, 2019, 11:56 am

hmm, i too have loads of parsley and mint in the garden - and tomatoes that have been ripening indoors - i think maybe tabbouleh is on the cards here, too.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 2nd, 2019, 4:54 pm

How funny ... tomorrow’s planned supper is lamb tagine (Claudia Roden’s with preserved lemons and peas) with couscous. :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Rainbow » November 2nd, 2019, 11:21 pm

Do any of you use Pearl Couscous? I've bought a packet but haven't tried it yet, but I've seen it used in tabbouleh and other salads.
Rainbow
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 3rd, 2019, 12:25 am

Is pearl couscous the same stuff as is known as giant or Palestinian couscous? Grains about the size of a small pea (or a pearl)?

I’ve had quite nice salads made with it but I found it impossible to get the texture right when I bought a packet, though I followed the instructions.

I think tabbouleh is by definition made with bulgar.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 3rd, 2019, 12:36 am

If it's the cous cous that Sue describes, I have used it quite a lot. I love the bought salads made with it. I can't say I've had any difficulty cooking it. GD went through a phase of having it plain quite regularly as the starch part of main meals when she was around 3 years old and loved it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 3rd, 2019, 10:13 am

Yes, maybe I should buy another pack, my guess is that a different brand might behave differently - I tried both the instructions on the packet and some from the internet, neither produced the right result
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 3rd, 2019, 10:22 am

I have only used the standard Sainsburys one. I can well believe it may not be as authentic as some but it works for me!
Last edited by earthmaiden on November 3rd, 2019, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 3rd, 2019, 12:26 pm

StokeySue wrote:Is pearl couscous the same stuff as is known as giant or Palestinian couscous? Grains about the size of a small pea (or a pearl)?

I’ve had quite nice salads made with it but I found it impossible to get the texture right when I bought a packet, though I followed the instructions.

I think tabbouleh is by definition made with bulgar.

I've never had much luck with pearl couscous either. I prefer the 'usual' kind (which I use quite a lot).
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Rainbow » November 4th, 2019, 11:04 pm

StokeySue wrote:Is pearl couscous the same stuff as is known as giant or Palestinian couscous? Grains about the size of a small pea (or a pearl)?

I imagine it is the same,Sue, although I don't know the other names, but your description sounds right.
I still haven't tried cooking it but I feel rather wary now, as both Sue and Seatallian reckon it's not that easy :(
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 5th, 2019, 9:38 am

It's probably just me (though it's interesting Sue has experienced similar). I've only used it a couple of times and both times it wasn't quite as I wanted it to be. A bit too chewy.
Seatallan
Registered

Return to The Kitchen