Venison

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Venison

Postby liketocook » November 11th, 2019, 11:03 am

I was lucky to get the front and back leg of a roe deer a few days ago. I gave my friends the shoulder and after watching a very helpful video broke the haunch down into a range of steaks, a small rump joint (2-3 portions) and some stir fry meat. The shank meat has been stripped and diced for slow cooking. The bones & trimmings will be made into stock. I decided to do this as I mainly cook for just me so didn't want a whole haunch to deal with.
Venison steaks I usually quickly cook and serve with a rich gravy but I'm hoping that folk might have some other suggestions that will make the most of this beautiful meat. Thanks
LTC
liketocook
Registered

Re: Venison

Postby earthmaiden » November 11th, 2019, 11:38 am

How wonderful! :chops:. I have never been presented with such delights and only ever have cuts which will make a lovely casserole (there is a butcher on a local market who gets it from a local estate, all above board!) so no recommendations for the choicest cuts. One of our late and much respected members, FrenchCheeseQueen, recommended marinading the meat overnight in port and crushed juniper berries. I always do this now, often with a few dried mushrooms of various sorts which rehydrate in the marinade and a pinch of thyme. It is really delicious.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » November 11th, 2019, 11:57 am

obviously i've never eaten bambi and have only seen it live or as roadkill but i was wondering - does it become venison after the deer has been cut up or after it has been slaughtered? cows and pigs seem to get the warning that that's the intension while they're still alive (porkers and beef cattle).
scullion
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 11th, 2019, 12:16 pm

It was all above board EM, a chap my younger son works beside gets two or three a year via the Forestry Commission who manage area the herd are in and cull to keep the numbers manageable and the herd and trees both healthy, he does the basic butchery. I was £20 for my portion and the money the FC charge goes to a local Wildlife Trust there was no charge for the butchery apart from a box of sweeties! I like the sound of a port & jumiper marinade very much for the slow cook meat. :chops:
I've never really thought about scullion but think it's deer until it's been skinned and gutted then venison which I think is the same for beef & pork.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 11th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Scully ... the term ‘venison’ came to us courtesy of the Normans and stems from the Latin venari which means to pursue and was applied to all wild game including boar as well as deer.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 11th, 2019, 1:24 pm

i think all dead meat names come from the french, with the live being the anglo saxon name (although the use of coney has mostly disappeared unless you are talking about fur) - as the normans were really norse men i wonder why we got the latin version through them - maybe asterix wasn't as successful at foiling the romans as he would like us to think!
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 11th, 2019, 1:27 pm

ltc - please don't think I was suggesting your meat wasn't above board! I thought that saying I bought mine at the market made mine sound a bit dodgy! (TBH I was never sure, but then by coincidence got to know the butcher's wife through something I belong to and now feel much more comfortable about the produce!).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 11th, 2019, 1:37 pm

earthmaiden wrote:ltc - please don't think I was suggesting your meat wasn't above board! I thought that saying I bought mine at the market made mine sound a bit dodgy! (TBH I was never sure, but then by coincidence got to know the butcher's wife through something I belong to and now feel much more comfortable about the produce!).

No not at all EM, I realised my description made me think of "it fell off the back of a lorry - honest;) ;) " a bit like markets :D . Mind you tbh I probably would still have taken it :oops: .
thanks for the explanation suffs :tu:
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 11th, 2019, 1:43 pm

scullion wrote:i think all dead meat names come from the french, with the live being the anglo saxon name .....

Not quite all dead meat Scully ... only the prime cuts eaten by the ruling invaders and those who aspired to their style and standards ... hence we have beef (boeuf) steaks, roasting joints etc, but the offal, the pieces cut ‘off’ and rejected by the rich, eg ox heart, ox tail, ox cheek, ox liver and kidneys, pig’s head, pig’s liver, pig’s kidneys, pig’s cheek, pig’s trotters etc rather than saying porc or pork liver etc.

And of course, the use of ‘coney’ lives on in the name of the village of Coney Weston in Suffolk, which is in the Domesday Book as Cunegestuna ... presumably a Roman reference to the breeding of rabbits.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby wargarden » November 11th, 2019, 2:01 pm

as for cooking ask WWordsworth he plans on shooting his venison out a cannon.
wargarden
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 11th, 2019, 2:12 pm

wargarden wrote:as for cooking ask WWordsworth he plans on shooting his venison out a cannon.

:lol: :lol:
"Coney" turns up a fair bit in Scotland too - it always amazes me how language (and customs) spread throughout history far further than the original "owners" so to speak.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » November 11th, 2019, 2:24 pm

We eat a lot of venison over the winter. As this is being written, a batch of venison picadillo is slowly cooking in the IP.

Certainly a typical casserole in this house is venison with red wine, a glug of vinegar from a jar of pickled walnuts, maybe some bacon bits, plus various root veg. It does take well to strong flavours such as juniper or bay. I think it's a good substitute for beef but has its own special qualities too.

We like steaks and chops, these are cooked very simply after seasoning, fried in a hot pan, first rendering the fat, then browning the steak/chop before resting it.

If you ever get the chance to try venison liver, snap it up, delicious.

Nick Nairn has got some nice recipes for roe deer iirc.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 11th, 2019, 2:29 pm

wargarden wrote:as for cooking ask WWordsworth he plans on shooting his venison out a cannon.

As long as the venison is not going to be shot with a canon ;)
suffolk
Registered

Postby wargarden » November 11th, 2019, 2:35 pm

if you shoot venison with canon you need correct lens .
Last edited by wargarden on November 11th, 2019, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wargarden
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 11th, 2019, 2:38 pm

:lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 11th, 2019, 4:19 pm

suffolk wrote:And of course, the use of ‘coney’ lives on in the name of the village of Coney Weston in Suffolk, which is in the Domesday Book as Cunegestuna ... presumably a Roman reference to the breeding of rabbits.

and coney hatch, just north of london.

if you shoot venison with a canon, not only do you need good sight, you need a black powder licence - and a load of people to pick up the ready butchered pieces.
scullion
Registered

Postby wargarden » November 11th, 2019, 4:26 pm

scullion the canon with one "n" is name camera brand the one with 2 "nn" is the one with gun powder.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 11th, 2019, 5:01 pm

suffolk wrote:As long as the venison is not going to be shot with a canon

Instant Venison Pate!! :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » November 11th, 2019, 6:50 pm

wargarden wrote:scullion the canon with one "n" is name camera brand the one with 2 "nn" is the one with gun powder.

silly me - so is it ok to correct your english, too?
scullion
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 11th, 2019, 7:13 pm

Badger's mate wrote:We eat a lot of venison over the winter. As this is being written, a batch of venison picadillo is slowly cooking in the IP.

Certainly a typical casserole in this house is venison with red wine, a glug of vinegar from a jar of pickled walnuts, maybe some bacon bits, plus various root veg. It does take well to strong flavours such as juniper or bay. I think it's a good substitute for beef but has its own special qualities too.

We like steaks and chops, these are cooked very simply after seasoning, fried in a hot pan, first rendering the fat, then browning the steak/chop before resting it.

If you ever get the chance to try venison liver, snap it up, delicious.

Nick Nairn has got some nice recipes for roe deer iirc.

Thanks BB I will be looking up the Nick Nairn recipes and like the sound of adding pickled walnut juice to a casserole. :tu: I usually buy a jar at Christmas so will keep the juice :D .
liketocook
Registered

Postby wargarden » November 11th, 2019, 7:26 pm

pickle walnuts make good ketchup.
walnut ketchup
wargarden
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 11th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Just the one jar? We have at least 3 and I’m t he only one that eats them :drool:
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 11th, 2019, 8:59 pm

suffolk wrote:Just the one jar? We have at least 3 and I’m t he only one that eats them :drool:

Well probably two or three if I'm honest - well hidden so they are all for me .......
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 11th, 2019, 10:35 pm

I have to buy them early so they don’t sell out ... then hide them from me :oops: :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » November 11th, 2019, 10:43 pm

I love pickled walnuts with cold cuts, pork pies, even battered rock eel. I've seen various recipes for cooking with them, from the Blessed Delia to Fergus Henderson ( :kneel: ), but I'd been cooking with the vinegar for decades.

Mention of the Blessed D reminds me that one of her 'boozy stew' recipes involves braising venison with port, Guinness and pickled walnuts.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 12th, 2019, 9:19 am

I am a pickled walnut virgin :aww: They have never appealed to me, pickled eggs either :sprout: I wouldn't want to buy a jar just to try and find that they are as unappetising as they look ;) :td:

editied to correct a double negative :oops:
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on November 12th, 2019, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 12th, 2019, 10:07 am

My father always appreciated being given a jar of pickled walnuts at Christmas. I like them too. The process of gathering the right sort at the right time and pickling them seems quite complicated, I am glad to be able to just buy a jar! (I only tried my first pickled egg a few years ago, it was surprisingly good). Like the thought of adding them to a venison casserole - I think they'd melt into the gravy in the way that anchovies disappear in other dishes.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 12th, 2019, 10:36 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:I am a pickled walnut virgin :aww: They have never appealed to me, pickled eggs either :sprout: I wouldn't want to buy a jar just to try and find that they are as unappetising as they look ;) :td:

editied to correct a double negative :oops:

Ditto Patsy. I always think of them as a Christmas thing, whilst I quite like pickled eggs the walnuts look unappetising. Surprising, as I love ordinary walnuts. Another Christmas delicacy which had passed me by was glacé marrons - a friend who expressed surprise that I hadn’t tried them bought me some as a present a couple of years ago - vile! So sickly sweet.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 12th, 2019, 11:20 am

Pickled walnuts are on special offer at Tesco just now ;)
Thanks for venison recipe suggestion Badgers mate -
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 12th, 2019, 12:48 pm

I often make a Two Fat Ladies pheasant and walnut terrine at Christmas (with pickled walnuts). Lovely!! :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » November 12th, 2019, 1:46 pm

i had my first and last pickled walnut when i was about eight, at an aunts house. it may not have been a fair trial - the jar may have been in the cupboard a while - for the years they were living overseas (that is what i keep telling myself), so maybe it's time to give them another go.
i love pickled eggs.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 12th, 2019, 5:00 pm

scullion wrote: love pickled eggs.

Me too. Always chuffed when I see them in pubs. :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 12th, 2019, 8:36 pm

One of the things I loved about living in York was the pubs - being able to get a pickled egg, a packet of pork scratchings and (definitely dating me here) a packet of "scampi fries" to go with your pint of Sam Smiths :luv: :luv: .
In traditional pubs here it's crisps or nuts if you are lucky - pickled eggs only appear in chip shops.
I definitely give pickled walnuts another go scully .
Roasted venison bones & trimmings are in the slow cooker with pot veg, bayleaf, thyme, black peppercorns and garlic to chunter away overnight for stock :) . I've a few ideas for using it but suspect I won't get enough to make them all .....
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 12th, 2019, 10:28 pm

Scully ... a pickled walnut with a wedge of good blue Stilton, a thin crisp water biscuit and slices of ripe Cox’s Orange Pippin :drool:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 13th, 2019, 7:22 am

I've been a bit off pickled walnuts since a friend described them as looking like mouses' brains. I too must given them another go. I have never tried a pickled egg so that's going on my list too.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 13th, 2019, 1:24 pm

liketocook wrote:"scampi fries"

Now you're talking!! :chops: :tu:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » November 13th, 2019, 4:54 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I've been a bit off pickled walnuts since a friend described them as looking like mouses' brains.

she must have massive mice - i would put them more as rabbit sized (rat brains are about thumb nail sized - depending on your thumb).
scullion
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » November 14th, 2019, 6:16 pm

Has someone been taking my name in vain?

Suppose I could always ask a (Rev) Canon to do the shooting...
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 14th, 2019, 7:35 pm

WWordsworth wrote:(Rev) Canon to do the shooting...

Tell him to make it snappy.
Gruney
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » November 14th, 2019, 8:48 pm

:lol:

Crocodile sandwich, and make it snappy.
WWordsworth
Registered

Return to The Kitchen