Crab.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Crab.

Postby Gruney » November 11th, 2019, 12:14 pm

I intend to make Mike Robinson's "Fresh taglietelli with crab, tomato and garlic" - it's from his excellent (in my view) book "Wild Flavours". I've made it before - it's one of those dishes that has no right to be so good for such little effort.
The recipe calls for white crab meat - tinned is fine. The last time I made it, our Morrisons sold tins of white crab meat, but what with one thing and another, choices don't seem to be so good these days. They have two types - ""shredded" and "lump", with no further describtion. I know little about crab, and wonder if shredded = brown, and lump = white. Any ideas, anyone please?
Gruney
Registered

Re: Crab.

Postby suffolk » November 11th, 2019, 12:27 pm

I’ve not come across any tinned brown crab meat ... IME shredded and lump are both white meat (not that I buy tinned very often for reasons you’ll understand ;) )
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 11th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Thanks Suffs - I'll keep looking until I find something definitive.
Gruney
Registered

Postby wargarden » November 11th, 2019, 2:07 pm

shredded brown comes from legs.
lump comes from body .
given the garlic and tomatoes taste of crab will not be an issue since other
ingredients will overwhelm the flavor.
as for texture i would go with lump it will give a flaky texture.
wargarden
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 11th, 2019, 2:38 pm

For crabs caught from UK waters, brown crab meat comes from the shell not the legs or claws. See demonstration of dressing a Cromer Crab here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PakFoEbdYMo
:D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 11th, 2019, 9:12 pm

Gruney as far as I'm aware here in the supermarkets both shredded and lump are white meat a bit like tinned tuna flakes and chunks/steak for comparison. In the processing brown meat usually gets hived off for pate etc.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 11th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Ah - thanks liketocook. :tu:
Gruney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 12th, 2019, 9:16 am

liketocook wrote:Gruney as far as I'm aware here in the supermarkets both shredded and lump are white meat a bit like tinned tuna flakes and chunks/steak for comparison. In the processing brown meat usually gets hived off for pate etc.

I think you can also buy vacuum packed crab meat too … I am sure I have seen that somewhere, but ltc has described the difference perfectly … no brown meat in the cans as being of a paste texture, it would make the liquid a bit murky and discolour the white meat. That recipe sounds delicious, as crab is my favourite shellfish. I am sure I have Mike Robinson's book somewhere. :rolleyes: I have been to his pub/restaurant :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 12th, 2019, 11:08 am

Thanks Pat - if you have his book, do give it a try. It's vital to use fresh pasta though - gives me the chance to play with my new machine :D
Gruney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 12th, 2019, 11:21 am

Waitrose sell brown crab meat. It's this firm.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/ ... lsrc=aw.ds
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Suelle » November 12th, 2019, 11:46 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Waitrose sell brown crab meat. It's this firm.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/ ... lsrc=aw.ds

I knew I'd seen brown crab meat somewhere! I think I may still have some in my larder, lurking from the days when I cooked a crab and pasta recipe for 2.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » November 12th, 2019, 11:51 am

Think there’s potential for confusion here ... the Brown Crab referred to in PP’s link above is a species of crab ... the most common edible crab caught around the UK ... it does not necessarily refer to ‘brown crab meat’.

Brown crabs yield both white and brown crab meat.

https://britishseafishing.co.uk/brown-crab-2/

Scroll down to the section on Commercial Importance for an explanation of brown and white meat.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Amber » November 19th, 2019, 11:33 pm

I bought three fresh crab claws this week...about £6 :o .

As I a child I used to sit in the gutters and eat them fresh from the boats, for free.
Amber
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 20th, 2019, 10:54 am

In the Uk white crab meat is the white/pink stuff that forms the muscles of all the varieties of crab we catch and eat. The brown meat is the softer, darker stuff that lurks in the corners of the shell

As far as I know all canned crab meat is white meat as the brown stuff would simply turn to a mushy mess when canned

I’d always go for lump rather than shredded canned crab as the shredded tends to be very wet, there’s nothing left by the time you’ve strained it!

There’s good frozen crab meat available now

I had a lovely crab sandwich in Scarborough, a lot of white meat with a bit of extra brown mixed in to moisten it and hold it together rather than using mayo. Yum.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 28th, 2019, 8:44 pm

Saw this in Waitrose today: Seems you can buy White , Half and half, or brown crab meat :rolleyes:
Attachments
crab.jpg
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Kitchen