sous-vide turkey potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

sous-vide turkey potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Postby wargarden » November 11th, 2019, 2:28 pm

charge your sous-vide machine with making the turkey breast, potatoes and sweet potatoes.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/08/dini ... iving.html
wargarden
Registered

Re: sous-vide turkey potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Postby earthmaiden » November 11th, 2019, 3:16 pm

Looks ideal for a Thanksgiving meal. Here we like crispy skin and roast potatoes and often the theatre of bringing the whole roasted bird to the table so would probably not use it for those aspects of a celebratory roast dinner. It has plenty of other uses though
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby wargarden » November 11th, 2019, 4:38 pm

the public cutting of a whole roast bird takes place, is over rated.
I our house growing up, there were two birds. One for public carving , the other was served at meal.
the carved bird was one that ended up as left overs.
As for crisp skin that is done best separated from bird as article states.
wargarden
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 11th, 2019, 9:07 pm

I've not cooked any turkey cuts in my sous vide but did do a huge batch of cajun spiced chicken drumsticks for a BBQ a few years back. Cooked to just done in the sous vide and then crisped on the grill. They were superb. :chef: Veg in sous vide I've found hit or miss - baby new potatoes with herb butter are gorgeous as are carrots & sprouts but for other veg I can get better results from more traditional cooking ditto with fish. Sous vide rare brisket (or any tougher beef cut) briefly seared in a hot pan to finish is just wonderful. :luv: I can see how a turkey breast would be good as long as the skin was removed before carving (or cooking) as flabby skin is :sprout: IMHO and handy if cooking for a crowd or unsure when a meal might be served. It's definitely one of those bits of kit I never knew I wanted until my sons' gave me one. :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 11th, 2019, 10:34 pm

Bro and SIL always have a 28lb turkey for Christmas ... it only just fits into the Aga ... and Bro carving the turkey (complete with buttery and salty crispy skin and bacon rashers) at the table is part of the great theatre that is Christmas at their house. 8-) Can’t imagine them using a Sous vide for Christmas. :|
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 12th, 2019, 10:21 am

wargarden wrote:the public cutting of a whole roast bird takes place, is over rated.
I our house growing up, there were two birds. One for public carving , the other was served at meal.
the carved bird was one that ended up as left overs.

This is only your opinion ….
Why would anyone want to buy two birds when a single one of the size required will be more than enough with leftovers too ???
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby wargarden » November 12th, 2019, 10:53 am

in our house the dishes are plated so the bird goes back kitchen after being carved.
Also we usually have 12-14 people so one bird was never enough. the bigger the bird longer it takes to cook.
wargarden
Registered

Postby scullion » November 12th, 2019, 2:01 pm

our christmas dinners were/are never plated. we always go for help yourself - hopefully people only take what they need so less waste and more leftovers. plus there's never enough counter space for that amount of plates (or for the twenty and more that were needed for christmas dinner when i was little).
i think maybe people eat more meat at a sitting nowadays than they did in the sixties - the big turkey that my father was given by his firm, every year, was ample for all of the people at the meal and with some left for sandwiches later.
scullion
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » November 12th, 2019, 5:08 pm

So you bring a bird out , carve it , then bring it back to the kitchen to serve ? Seems a little pointless ? If we have a big bird for Xmas etc , people always help themselves at the table . For me , it’s part of the social occasion , everyone passing the serving dishes around and chatting . I also think people can serve themselves according to their preferences and appetite .

I think if you have a large group of people around from different age groups , it’s very hard to judge portion sizes for everyone
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 12th, 2019, 5:22 pm

I agree Prettykiwicrazy ... and to have a plated meal, personally speaking it would make it seem a bit like a canteen meal, albeit a well cooked one with quality ingredients.

For me, if you’re having a family Christmas there’s nothing to beat a laden dining table with heaped dishes of vegetables and accompaniments, and steaming sauce and gravy boats, best cutlery, sparkling wine glasses, linen napkins and pretty paper crackers ... and the host carving a huge turkey or goose at the head of the table :chef:
Last edited by suffolk on November 12th, 2019, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 12th, 2019, 5:25 pm

Agree with all of the above Suffs, with the exception of crackers. I’ve been thinking about this and how they are mostly filled with plastic. Does anyone know of any kits you can buy to make your own? I am trying to reduce our use if single use plastic, not sure what I would put inside.

Any idea hive mind? Anybody do crackers differently?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 12th, 2019, 5:59 pm

We’ve made our own in the past with loo roll innards, brown craft paper we’ve printed ourselves. We bought Snaps online and little metal puzzles etc from Hawkins Bazaar.

Edited to add: just thought ... think I’ve seen kits in Hobbycraft.
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 12th, 2019, 8:40 pm

we've made crackers for at least the past twenty years, firstly with some packs that were in tescos (i bought a big pile for pennies after that christmas when they didn't sell, that lasted a few years) then made our own with loo roll tube etc, snaps bought from a local joke shop (then online), awful jokes found online and not a plastic toy in sight. two or three years ago there were metal straws (and their brushes), there have been miniature bottles of booze, ball point pens that looked like hypodermic syringes. i had an ecodrive watch in mine eight or nine years ago.
you can put anything you want in - i think there was one year that i put in indigestion tablets (or it may have been in their stockings) - they didn't go down too well (get it‽). things like rubbers and metal pencil sharpeners, nail varnish, a lottery scratch card - anything - just decide how much you want to spend on a 'gift' for each cracker (and they can be personalised) but remember, if you make a lot it can add up.
scullion
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 12th, 2019, 8:56 pm

For gatherings of any kind I never plate up I much prefer to have folk self serve, however I do always cook my turkey the day before and reheat the carved meat carefully in gravy on the day. A combination of much I as I love turkey for some reason I'm not keen on the smell of it roasting :sprout: and also trying to do as much prep as possible on Christmas Eve as I find if I cook lots I don't enjoy my meal as much. For the past few years we have boned our turkey and cooked the various cuts seperately using a thermometer to get the "perfect" cooking time for each piece. Works for us but appreciate it's not for everyone but on a beautifully set table laden with food it's still a real feast to the eyes. :drool:
Crackers - I have enough from previous years to last us this year but in the future we have agreed that instead of these everyone will get a random envelope containing a joke, a motto and a "charade" which they have to share with the table, though I might have to buy some of the "Fortune Telling Fish" as my Mum loved those. ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Amber » November 12th, 2019, 10:55 pm

I’ve just bought Sainsburys’s DIY crackers, six for £2.50. There weren’t many left on the stand.
Amber
Registered

Return to The Kitchen