[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - fruit cake and christmas pudding

fruit cake and christmas pudding

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

fruit cake and christmas pudding

Postby wargarden » November 16th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Just finished making both are lot work.
But a lot fun. now all need is to feed them for next month and half.
wargarden
Registered

Re: fruit cake and christmas pudding

Postby scullion » November 16th, 2019, 10:22 pm

gosh, you're keen, stir-up sunday is a week away.
scullion
Registered

Postby Amber » November 16th, 2019, 11:13 pm

My cakes are made too, and busy drowning in alcohol. I have a busy few weeks coming up, so it was good to get the baking out of the way.
Amber
Registered

Postby Amber » November 16th, 2019, 11:15 pm

My cakes are made too, and busy drowning in alcohol. I have a busy few weeks coming up, so it was good to get the baking out of the way.
Amber
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 19th, 2019, 10:00 am

I have ordered a cake from Betty's... My mother likes it. She would almost certainly will not like one I make and let me know it! N.B this is not a reflection on my cake making skills. Thing is, Betty's ones are only very small.
I might make the last minute Nigella one again later on. Will see. Hardly seeems worth it for just two of us (OH and I.) :(

editI I thought I'd ordered one! I had better get on the case.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 19th, 2019, 11:53 am

In all my life, I have never had a Christmas where cake and pudding are routinely made and/or eaten ! Not even when I were a young'un and definitely never as an adult ... :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Suelle » November 19th, 2019, 11:59 am

I made Nigella Lawson's Chocolate Fruit Cake several years ago. It was moist and rich enough to be a pudding, and probably too moist to be a cake, really. It was absolutely delicious, but not very traditional. I don't do this sort of baking anymore - not enough people around who would eat it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/choc ... cake_84675
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » November 19th, 2019, 12:13 pm

We always had Christmas tea - afternoon tea style - with the cake (decorated properly with Royal icing) as the centrepiece. The cake lasted well into January. A lot of people don't seem to care much for a traditional rich fruit cake with icing and marzipan these days. I love it and I used to love decorating the cake too, I find it quite sad that so many traditions have changed with the times but I guess it always was so!

The chocolate one looks very interesting Suelle - and quite decadent!.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 19th, 2019, 12:46 pm

I really do like traditional cake, although I usually peel off the marzipan and icing and give it to someone else.

Since Chirstmas dinner was usually at lunchtime, pushing 2pm not infrequently, 'tea' was a help yourself affair, but with Christmas cake and trifle on offer (amongst other desserts/baked goods). My mother went to so very much effort.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 19th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Christmas cake and cheese.... I rest my case.... :chops: :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 19th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 19th, 2019, 3:33 pm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 19th, 2019, 4:41 pm

White and crumbly, or stilton, I take it?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 19th, 2019, 6:06 pm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby wargarden » November 19th, 2019, 6:57 pm

as for cheese i wish could get some more that venezuelan beaver cheese. due to venezuelan economic troubles it no longer available.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 19th, 2019, 7:06 pm

Busybee
Registered

Postby liketocook » November 19th, 2019, 8:03 pm

Orkney or Arran cheddar on a piece of Dundee cake or dumpling cake for me please if we are doing cake & cheese. :chops:
I seldom make or buy a Christmas cake these days, I gave up a few years ago when it was still lurking in February. However most years I will make a boiled fruit cake /dumpling cake and soak it with a little brandy. Any not eaten over Christmas gets sliced and frozen and added to a cooked breakfast when the kids are home.
liketocook
Registered

Postby smitch » November 19th, 2019, 10:28 pm

Always Wensleydale here too. I’ve even converted my Manc husband to the Christmas cake and cheese combo :lol:
smitch
Registered

Postby Amber » November 19th, 2019, 11:29 pm

Another vote for Wensleydale :).
Amber
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 20th, 2019, 11:36 am

Wensleydale or a really good Cheddar.

Gosh Wargarden, I'd forgotten that particular Monty Python sketch!! :lol:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 20th, 2019, 5:06 pm

I mixed up the fruit, nuts and brandy for my cake today. I'm a bit dubious really. OH wouldn't notice if it was homemade or a bought one and I had problems with cramp in my right arm last year mixing the fruit into the batter.

I used to make a 12" square one when the kids were little - no idea why as they all hated it - it was almost entirely eaten by my husband, my granny and my cleaner. Would usually last into February. I have an 8" square one this time.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Rainbow » November 20th, 2019, 10:53 pm

Rainbow
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 22nd, 2019, 10:28 am

Everything is lined up for Sunday when the puddings will be stirred up. I even managed to find some Guinesswhich is not always so easy.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Return to The Kitchen