Ingredients that confuse.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby scullion » November 27th, 2019, 1:26 am

i 'crossed over' in my early teens, too, and I'm quite happy using both but prefer metric.
the one that irritates the pants (not trousers) off me is when things are measured in fahrenheit - but i suppose that's american recipes and old books - a pain to convert if you can't be arsed to find a conversion table.
the inches and feet to cm i find quite easy as they're roughly 2.5 and 30 cm respectively. i'm also usually quite close on rough guesses at km from miles.
its just °F to °C that really annoys me.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 27th, 2019, 7:50 am

During my childhood the tv and radio weather forecasts used Fahrenheit ... as a farming family, weather forecasts were listened to avidly so I started off knowing Farenheit, then for quite a long period (several years) the forecasts gave temperatures in both scales F/C before eventually dropping the F ... so for us the transition was virtually unnoticeable, but I imagine that people for whom the weather forecasts wasn’t the most important feature of the day from their childhood, probably struggle with Fahrenheit.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 27th, 2019, 8:49 am

I'm fine with the centigrade figures we use for British weather and can roughly convert. If it is extremely hot or cold I have to look it up if I want a reasonably accurate picture in my mind.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 27th, 2019, 9:16 am

I have friends who insist on mentally converting Centigrade/Celsius back to Fahrenheit so they know how hot/cold the weather is going to be. They didn't seem to understand that you only have to watch the weather forecast for a few days before knowing how hot/cold 15 degrees C is :rolleyes: Or am I over simplifying things :?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » November 27th, 2019, 9:41 am

Surely we're of a generation that thought of warm weather in F - 70 upwards let's say, and cold weather in C - 'there's a frost tonight it will be minus 2'. It took me a long time to get used to C for warm days, but I've never thought of cold weather in F.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 27th, 2019, 11:00 am

Badger's mate wrote:Surely we're of a generation that thought of warm weather in F - 70 upwards let's say, and cold weather in C - 'there's a frost tonight it will be minus 2'. It took me a long time to get used to C for warm days, but I've never thought of cold weather in F.

I'm with you there, I agree, I can't remember ever thinking of minus 1 in centigrade as being 30 degrees f
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 27th, 2019, 11:12 am

I must be the odd one out then, I read -1C with no problem but if talking/visualising minus temperatures still start st 32 degrees where minus doesn't start until it's very cold indeed! I do get confused when American friends mention a temperature which could translate to C or F and I have to work out if they mean they are cold or hot. It's quite important to state which measurement you are using I think! It is annoying that the USA has never gone metric.

This conversation really gives an insight into the intricacies of the human mind!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 27th, 2019, 11:13 am

Badger's mate wrote:Surely we're of a generation that thought of warm weather in F - 70 upwards let's say, and cold weather in C - 'there's a frost tonight it will be minus 2'. It took me a long time to get used to C for warm days, but I've never thought of cold weather in F.

Snap Badger's mate! Exactly how I am... :)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 27th, 2019, 4:49 pm

I have completely forgotten what F means as an ambient temp. Conversion is easy, F to C subtract 30 and divide by two. Reverse for the other way round, C to F. It is a degree or so out but good enough for most purposes.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 27th, 2019, 5:04 pm

miss mouse wrote:I have completely forgotten what F means as an ambient temp. Conversion is easy, F to C subtract 30 and divide by two. Reverse for the other way round, C to F. It is a degree or so out but good enough for most purposes.

That's useful, MM, I must try to remember it!! And a lot more accurate than my extremely rough and ready add around 50 to C for F ...
KC2
Registered

Postby scullion » November 27th, 2019, 5:26 pm

i think in °C, too, the transition was a doddle. as i said it's now only american recipes online that p me off (and old recipe books - °F and gas regulos).
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 27th, 2019, 6:16 pm

I have had a gas cooker for over 30 years and had electric in F before that. I have a conversion table fridge magnet for when recipes only show oven temps in centigrade :oops:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 27th, 2019, 6:41 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I have had a gas cooker for over 30 years and had electric in F before that. I have a conversion table fridge magnet for when recipes only show oven temps in centigrade :oops:.

Absolutely no need to :oops: - it's the perfect solution. Far better than my having to dive into a book that has the conversions.
Gruney
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 27th, 2019, 10:56 pm

For cooking temps I just halve the F temp, my cooker is not that sophisticated or accurate.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 27th, 2019, 11:22 pm

I thought I posted earlier but it seems it

I get annoyed by recipes that give a temperature as e.g. 350 degrees but don’t specify F or C, you can usually intuit it but it’s just wrong.

Also recipes that say 180 C or whatever and don’t specify fan or static. I now look at the gas setting as a sense check, 180 C is mark 4 if static but mark 6 if fan, makes a difference
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Rainbow » November 27th, 2019, 11:40 pm

StokeySue wrote:Also recipes that say 180 C or whatever and don’t specify fan or static. I now look at the gas setting as a sense check, 180 C is mark 4 if static but mark 6 if fan, makes a difference

I agree, Sue. I'd expect them to say if it's a fan oven, but they usually don't.
We don't have 'gas mark' on gas stoves over here, so unless it's a UK recipe I can't check with that! and I had no idea about the 4 and 6 settings giving a clue!!
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 28th, 2019, 7:31 am

Neither do they suggest an alternative cooking time for fan.
Gruney
Registered

Postby wargarden » November 28th, 2019, 8:50 am

here is another group of things that confuse people skillet, saute pan, frying pan.
saute pan straight sides
skillet and frying pan sloped rounded sides

I make my Maryland fried chicken technically in 2.5 in deep saute pan with a lid;
which I use for pan frying.
wargarden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 28th, 2019, 10:20 am

I would use the pan terms like that too Wargarden. I think if a skillet as being shallower than a frying pan (and sometimes square).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 28th, 2019, 10:27 am

Gruney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 28th, 2019, 10:36 am

Hmmm, I'd call that a frying pan!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 28th, 2019, 10:46 am

I think a skillet has a lid and is deeper than a frying pan :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 28th, 2019, 11:09 am

In principle I agree with wargarden, I consider skillet to be olde Englishe or modern American for what I’d call a frying pan

But I think the definitions are blurred. I have a lovely Judge (so British) stainless steel sauté pan with lid that was sold as a frying pan according to the factory label.

And I know some people call chef’s pans ( the things like truncated woks with a long handle) sautés pans. For example, Vogue, one of the biggest makers of professional kitchenware

This
https://www.nisbets.co.uk/vogue-tri-wall-flared-saute-pan-200mm/y240
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 28th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Gruney wrote:Lodge Cast Iron skillet/frying pan https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lodge-26-04-10 ... B00006JSUA

earthmaiden wrote:Hmmm, I'd call that a frying pan!

I'd call that a skillet. :lol:

I think of a skillet as being a cast iron pan- usually with an extra handle- whereas a frying pan is a different shape.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 28th, 2019, 2:45 pm

I couldn't live without my Vogue pans. I have 4 and are pratically the only pans I use apart from a very big saute pan with a lid. The joy of all of them is they are professional staineless steel andare perfectly happy in the dishwasher
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby wargarden » November 28th, 2019, 3:22 pm

the pan that I fry chicken is called chicken frying pan.
It is steel very heavy and has a lid. It is my great grand mothers. It is at least as old as 1950's
possibly older. But the fried chicken it produces amazing.
As for the recipe for Maryland fried chicken see
my previous post that has the recipe.
wargarden
Registered

Postby dennispc » November 28th, 2019, 3:49 pm

I was teaching in a Primary School at decimalisation time, so adjusted pretty easily. It would’ve been so much easier if the government had continued as planned, to introduce a metric system for everything else.

When we had a shop we sold ribbon as part of cake decorating. The wholesaler imported them from America, a roll was measured in inches, we cut to required lengths in mms. Interesting.

Cooking has helped me come to terms with C and F, but still have to reach for a calculator when watching the Tour de France to turn Kms into miles to go. Though friends of similar age to us, use their mobiles to get the weather temperatures in English F.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 28th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Km to miles is quite easy - halve, then add a quarter.
Gruney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 28th, 2019, 4:32 pm

dennispc - the semi-conversion was/is interesting with pipes in the water industry as well as aero will confirm, I' m sure he has some related tales. It continues to cause havoc sometimes (calculating conversions properly, joining one to another, ordering and bringing the right size to site etc)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » November 29th, 2019, 8:16 am

Gruney wrote:Km to miles is quite easy - halve, then add a quarter.

It is just as you say. To go the other way subtract a fifth and double the remainder.

Edited to correct my messed up quotes.
miss mouse
Registered

Previous

Return to The Kitchen