Ingredients that confuse.

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby Badger's mate » November 24th, 2019, 4:22 pm

I suspect there are three different finishes for these types of paper. It seems it is all made with a very smooth finish, making it non absorbent. Greaseproof and baking papers both feel like that. Additionally the non-stick stuff will be coated with some sort of lubricant. Nowadays that's frequently a silicone based product but previously it must (I imagine) have been wax. I know they used to (and presumably still) sell waxed paper discs for covering HM preserves.
User avatar
Badger's mate
Registered
 
Posts: 640
Joined: January 12th, 2017, 8:47 pm
Location: Ware

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby Suelle » November 24th, 2019, 4:43 pm

Badger's mate wrote:I suspect there are three different finishes for these types of paper. It seems it is all made with a very smooth finish, making it non absorbent. Greaseproof and baking papers both feel like that. Additionally the non-stick stuff will be coated with some sort of lubricant. Nowadays that's frequently a silicone based product but previously it must (I imagine) have been wax. I know they used to (and presumably still) sell waxed paper discs for covering HM preserves.


I think technology is moving on faster than our knowledge of it. I suspect what you say may once have been right, but that doesn't explain why Sainsbury's sells only one product now, called 'greaseproof and baking paper' (and labelled non-stick), especially as greaseproof paper didn't use to be non-stick. There's also no mention of any sort of coating on the Saisbury's product, but in contrast Lakeland's baking parchment says it is silicone paper.
User avatar
Suelle
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 5711
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 6:19 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 24th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Handbags, purses and wallets ..... I know what they are in the UK .... :rolleyes: ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
User avatar
PatsyMFagan
Registered
 
Posts: 8517
Joined: July 31st, 2010, 10:27 am
Location: Harefield, Uxbridge

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby earthmaiden » November 24th, 2019, 6:27 pm

I was using an ancient roll of genuine greaseproof for a while. Parchment, even the Sainsburys 'combined' is far more flexible and stronger. I have cooked all sorts of things (e.g. fish, sausages) on both and the parchment is much more versatile IMO. No idea what the components are though.
User avatar
earthmaiden
Registered
 
Posts: 12723
Joined: April 2nd, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Wiltshire. UK

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby StokeySue » November 24th, 2019, 7:19 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Handbags, purses and wallets ..... I know what they are in the UK .... :rolleyes: ;)

:lol:

Pocketbook? :?

Confuses me too
Sue
User avatar
StokeySue
Registered
 
Posts: 21878
Joined: April 21st, 2010, 5:18 pm
Location: Stoke Newington (London)

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby earthmaiden » November 24th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Billfold ;)
User avatar
earthmaiden
Registered
 
Posts: 12723
Joined: April 2nd, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Wiltshire. UK

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby wargarden » November 24th, 2019, 8:45 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Handbags, purses and wallets ..... I know what they are in the UK .... :rolleyes: ;)

well they are same in USA
wargarden
Registered
 
Posts: 317
Joined: February 28th, 2019, 6:00 am

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby miss mouse » November 24th, 2019, 9:52 pm

They aren't wargarden.
miss mouse
Registered
 
Posts: 3582
Joined: July 19th, 2010, 8:32 pm
Location: under the arbutus trees

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby StokeySue » November 24th, 2019, 10:08 pm

wargarden wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:Handbags, purses and wallets ..... I know what they are in the UK .... :rolleyes: ;)

well they are same in USA

No, what in the USA is a woman’s “purse” is what we call a handbag here in the uK
Here a purse is a tiny thing, I guess you’d call it a change purser a coin purse
We don’t really use the terms pocketbook or billfold, we come across them in US literature and vaguelyknow what is meant
Sue
User avatar
StokeySue
Registered
 
Posts: 21878
Joined: April 21st, 2010, 5:18 pm
Location: Stoke Newington (London)

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby Rainbow » November 24th, 2019, 10:52 pm

suffolk wrote:I think baking parchment has a silicone coating, waxed paper has a wax coating and baking parchment has no coating.

That confused me, Suffs :lol:
Does baking parchment have the silicone coating or no coating? Is greaseproof paper the one with no coating? (maybe an auto-correct problem!)
User avatar
Rainbow
Registered
 
Posts: 1245
Joined: November 14th, 2012, 7:04 am
Location: Australia

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby suffolk » November 24th, 2019, 10:56 pm

Further research reveals that some baking parchment had a silicon coating ... and some doesn’t. :rolleyes: We have to read the packs ;)
Last edited by suffolk on November 25th, 2019, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
User avatar
suffolk
Registered
 
Posts: 40643
Joined: August 11th, 2010, 6:47 am
Location: East Anglia, surprisingly!

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby scullion » November 25th, 2019, 2:34 am

i had to look up billfold - i thought it sounded like a money clip but it's actually just a wallet.
i would consider a pocket book to be the A6 sized thing that i keep in my handbag, along with my purse, to write notes in - or is it the type of strapless handbag that was popular in the sixties (clutch bag)?
User avatar
scullion
Registered
 
Posts: 13725
Joined: April 9th, 2010, 2:08 pm
Location: cornwall

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby suffolk » November 25th, 2019, 8:50 am

OH used to pinch my greaseproof out of the pantry to use as tracing paper ... he now had to buy the real stuff as baking parchment doesn’t work as well :rolleyes: :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
User avatar
suffolk
Registered
 
Posts: 40643
Joined: August 11th, 2010, 6:47 am
Location: East Anglia, surprisingly!

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby scullion » November 25th, 2019, 10:30 am

wasn't that the best use for izal toilet paper‽‽‽
(rubbish as toilet paper!).
User avatar
scullion
Registered
 
Posts: 13725
Joined: April 9th, 2010, 2:08 pm
Location: cornwall

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby miss mouse » November 25th, 2019, 10:38 am

Dreadful stuff and it smelt horrible.
miss mouse
Registered
 
Posts: 3582
Joined: July 19th, 2010, 8:32 pm
Location: under the arbutus trees

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby suffolk » November 25th, 2019, 10:49 am

We had Bronco in our family :o Great for comb & paper concertos but not big enough for big tracings. :rolleyes:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
User avatar
suffolk
Registered
 
Posts: 40643
Joined: August 11th, 2010, 6:47 am
Location: East Anglia, surprisingly!

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby earthmaiden » November 25th, 2019, 10:52 am

When I was 6 and we moved to the country, we also changed from a flush loo to an Elsan arrangement whose contents were buried in the (large) garden at regular intervals. I can remember my mother explaining to me that we would have to change from the familiar Bronco hard paper to soft paper because it broke down more quickly in the soil. It is only in recent years that I have wondered why on earth we used Bronco if soft paper was available! I suspect it was less attractive and therefore more economical or perhaps it caused drain blockages (though we were in a new suburban house). Different times ;).

Oh suffs, that awful tickle when the comb was played :lol:. Must try that with GD and greaseproof.
User avatar
earthmaiden
Registered
 
Posts: 12723
Joined: April 2nd, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Wiltshire. UK

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby suffolk » November 25th, 2019, 11:02 am

I think the soft loo paper was more expensive ... but somehow Ma managed to give us the impression that it was only used by ‘common’ folk if we complained about the Bronco and said that our friends used the softer stuff. :rolleyes:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
User avatar
suffolk
Registered
 
Posts: 40643
Joined: August 11th, 2010, 6:47 am
Location: East Anglia, surprisingly!

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby scullion » November 25th, 2019, 11:04 am

i'd forgotten about the comb kazoo and its lip tickle!
User avatar
scullion
Registered
 
Posts: 13725
Joined: April 9th, 2010, 2:08 pm
Location: cornwall

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby miss mouse » November 25th, 2019, 11:20 am

suffolk wrote:I think the soft loo paper was more expensive ... but somehow Ma managed to give us the impression that it was only used by ‘common’ folk if we complained about the Bronco and said that our friends used the softer stuff. :rolleyes:


It was similar excuses in our house. Terrible stuff.
miss mouse
Registered
 
Posts: 3582
Joined: July 19th, 2010, 8:32 pm
Location: under the arbutus trees

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby StokeySue » November 25th, 2019, 11:34 am

The argument for the hard loo paper like izal and Bronco was that because non-absorbent it was more hygienic ( not I think true, though it was sometimes treated with disinfectant) and some people liked having the packs that dispensed single sheets

Back then it was mainly sold through chemist’s shops

Suffolk, did your Ma think the soft stuff was “common” because it came in such lurid colours? She may well have had a point :D

I remember also the early recucycled “whole meal” paper - tiny rolls, with bits of the original newspaper visible, horrible
Sue
User avatar
StokeySue
Registered
 
Posts: 21878
Joined: April 21st, 2010, 5:18 pm
Location: Stoke Newington (London)

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby Seatallan » November 25th, 2019, 11:46 am

I always knew it as 'School Toilet Paper' because it was the staple bog paper at my primary school. I used to very much enjoy the comb kazoo. I wanted my mum to buy School Toilet Paper because I couldn't play comb kazoo at home. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
User avatar
Seatallan
Registered
 
Posts: 10099
Joined: April 1st, 2010, 3:28 pm
Location: Cumbria

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby suffolk » November 25th, 2019, 12:04 pm

StokeySue wrote:The argument for the hard loo paper like izal and Bronco was that because non-absorbent it was more hygienic ( not I think true, though it was sometimes treated with disinfectant) and some people liked having the packs that dispensed single sheets

Back then it was mainly sold through chemist’s shops

Suffolk, did your Ma think the soft stuff was “common” because it came in such lurid colours? She may well have had a point :D

I remember also the early recucycled “whole meal” paper - tiny rolls, with bits of the original newspaper visible, horrible


No it would simply have been that the rest of the villagers used it. We lived in ******** Hall and therefore had to maintain a sense of difference. It was the same with all Ma’s relations as their grandfather had been the Mayor of Luton six times, was a pal of the Prince of Wales (yes that one :shock: ) and would’ve been knighted had he not died a couple of days before the Honours List came out. Following WW2 and the decline of Luton’s hat manufacturing the family wealth declined ... but our status had to be maintained somehow ... for Ma having the ‘correct’ loo paper was important :rolleyes: :(
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
User avatar
suffolk
Registered
 
Posts: 40643
Joined: August 11th, 2010, 6:47 am
Location: East Anglia, surprisingly!

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby suffolk » November 25th, 2019, 12:10 pm

I think it was not until a WI visit to Helmingham Hall (home of pals of the current PoW) that Ma discovered that soft loo paper was being used in the best of houses, and our lives became more comfortable. :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
User avatar
suffolk
Registered
 
Posts: 40643
Joined: August 11th, 2010, 6:47 am
Location: East Anglia, surprisingly!

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby earthmaiden » November 25th, 2019, 12:22 pm

I had never seen or heard of the soft stuff until the move mentioned in my previous post. Now you mention it, it did seem as though there was an air of respectability about the hard stuff.
(Do you remember also that people had lavatory cloths like tea towels ... ;) ).
User avatar
earthmaiden
Registered
 
Posts: 12723
Joined: April 2nd, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Wiltshire. UK

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby suffolk » November 25th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Don’t remember that ... although I am aware that some very Green households use washable cloths instead of loo roll ... but what with the heating of water to wash them etc I’m not sure how ‘green’ it is.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
User avatar
suffolk
Registered
 
Posts: 40643
Joined: August 11th, 2010, 6:47 am
Location: East Anglia, surprisingly!

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby StokeySue » November 25th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Oh I remember the towel for wiping the toilet. Mrs S next door had one, made my mother shudder. They made special ones.
Sue
User avatar
StokeySue
Registered
 
Posts: 21878
Joined: April 21st, 2010, 5:18 pm
Location: Stoke Newington (London)

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby earthmaiden » November 25th, 2019, 3:10 pm

Suffs - the cloth was to 'tidy up' the seat, not to use on one's anatomy. They were often just a towel or sometimes a linen cloth with 'lavatory' printed or embroidered on it. I'm surprised you never came across them!
User avatar
earthmaiden
Registered
 
Posts: 12723
Joined: April 2nd, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Wiltshire. UK

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby suffolk » November 25th, 2019, 4:20 pm

I don’t remember anything like that at all ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
User avatar
suffolk
Registered
 
Posts: 40643
Joined: August 11th, 2010, 6:47 am
Location: East Anglia, surprisingly!

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby Seatallan » November 25th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Me neither.

I do, however, remember when just about everyone had a crinoline knitted dolly toilet roll cover. :)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
User avatar
Seatallan
Registered
 
Posts: 10099
Joined: April 1st, 2010, 3:28 pm
Location: Cumbria

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby Pepper Pig » November 25th, 2019, 5:31 pm

You mean you haven’t still got one Sea?
User avatar
Pepper Pig
Registered
 
Posts: 6564
Joined: June 9th, 2014, 7:18 pm
Location: Harrow-on-the-Hill

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby miss mouse » November 25th, 2019, 5:49 pm

earthmaiden wrote: I'm surprised you never came across them!


I did. Ah yes, 'the good old days'. 'Good' they weren't.
miss mouse
Registered
 
Posts: 3582
Joined: July 19th, 2010, 8:32 pm
Location: under the arbutus trees

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby Seatallan » November 25th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:You mean you haven’t still got one Sea?


:lol:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
User avatar
Seatallan
Registered
 
Posts: 10099
Joined: April 1st, 2010, 3:28 pm
Location: Cumbria

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby StokeySue » November 25th, 2019, 9:50 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Do you remember also that people had lavatory cloths like tea towels ...

Thought I’d replied to this already
Yes, I remember them, they had their purpose clearly woven into them, like glass cloths
Sue
User avatar
StokeySue
Registered
 
Posts: 21878
Joined: April 21st, 2010, 5:18 pm
Location: Stoke Newington (London)

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby scullion » November 25th, 2019, 10:09 pm

StokeySue wrote:Oh I remember the towel for wiping the toilet.

so do i.
i used to cringe every time i picked it up - until i stopped using it and started using my aunt's loo paper (great aunt who lived in the attic) to wipe the seat and my bits. she had soft paper while we had the izal stuff.
the excuse my mother gave for that was that my dad preferred it. i think it was cos it was cheaper than soft and people wouldn't use as much of it. i'm not sure that was a good excuse - being less absorbent you needed to use more.
remember how you had to scrunch it up to make it softer?
when i was at school we bought up in school council the wish to have soft paper but it was pointed out (with all of the costings per term) that it would be too expensive to have soft. i suppose they assumed that people would use it as tissues' too.


hmm - turnips to toilet paper - that's an interesting progression!
User avatar
scullion
Registered
 
Posts: 13725
Joined: April 9th, 2010, 2:08 pm
Location: cornwall

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby miss mouse » November 26th, 2019, 8:06 am

'It is too expensive' was always the cry but no-one worked out how much more expensive it was or how long it lasted, were we talking about pence here or hundreds of pounds?
miss mouse
Registered
 
Posts: 3582
Joined: July 19th, 2010, 8:32 pm
Location: under the arbutus trees

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby Pepper Pig » November 26th, 2019, 8:18 am

Pinched from Twitter. Other misnomers, although the last is controversial.

Guinea pig (not a pig)
Cat burglar (not a cat)
Baby food (no babies in it)
Lone Ranger (always with his sidekick)
The Neverending Story (ends)
Jaffa Cake (NOT A CAKE!)
User avatar
Pepper Pig
Registered
 
Posts: 6564
Joined: June 9th, 2014, 7:18 pm
Location: Harrow-on-the-Hill

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby suffolk » November 26th, 2019, 8:33 am

miss mouse wrote:'It is too expensive' was always the cry but no-one worked out how much more expensive it was or how long it lasted, were we talking about pence here or hundreds of pounds?


“Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.”

And as a slight digression ... during a conversation last night it transpired that OH had not a clue about how pre-decimal currency worked and was totally confuddled when I explained how simple it was to work out the cost of a dozen buns if one cost three pence ha’penny ... whereas I remember receiving wedding gifts of cheques written as guineas :shock: :lol:

I suppose that once £sd had been superceded by decimal currency prior to joining the EU, there was no reason for anyone to think about the ‘old money’ let alone for children to learn about it.

I suppose .... if we go back to pre EU days we might reinstate £sd .... or is that a step too far ... ? :duck:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
User avatar
suffolk
Registered
 
Posts: 40643
Joined: August 11th, 2010, 6:47 am
Location: East Anglia, surprisingly!

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby miss mouse » November 26th, 2019, 8:39 am

suffolk wrote:I suppose that once £sd had been superceded by decimal currency prior to joining the EU, there was no reason for anyone to think about the ‘old money’ let alone for children to learn about it.


Children in the cross-over years had to learn both apparently, poor souls. £sd was easy if there were multiples of 12 being calculated but for multiples of 10 I wonder.
miss mouse
Registered
 
Posts: 3582
Joined: July 19th, 2010, 8:32 pm
Location: under the arbutus trees

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby suffolk » November 26th, 2019, 8:40 am

But so many things were sold in dozens :D
I’ve always found 12 to be aesthetically pleasing ... in fact it’s always been my favorite number.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
User avatar
suffolk
Registered
 
Posts: 40643
Joined: August 11th, 2010, 6:47 am
Location: East Anglia, surprisingly!

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby Seatallan » November 26th, 2019, 9:41 am

miss mouse wrote:Children in the cross-over years had to learn both apparently, poor souls. £sd was easy if there were multiples of 12 being calculated but for multiples of 10 I wonder.


Oh tell me about it! I was one of those children. Being naturally pants at maths I really think being a 'transition child' didn't help. In addition, I now think partly in metric and partly in imperial which can be most confusing. :)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
User avatar
Seatallan
Registered
 
Posts: 10099
Joined: April 1st, 2010, 3:28 pm
Location: Cumbria

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby earthmaiden » November 26th, 2019, 9:49 am

I found nothing aesthetically pleasing about £sd. I am useless at mental arithmetic and was thrilled when we went decimal. I quite like dozens.
User avatar
earthmaiden
Registered
 
Posts: 12723
Joined: April 2nd, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Wiltshire. UK

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby Badger's mate » November 26th, 2019, 10:08 am

I was taught Imperial at home and primary school, but metric throughout my secondary education and beyond, which was largely in science. I grew up with £sd but found decimalisation straightforward (as a young teenager in 1971). Given that we weren't in the Common Market when the shilling was lost I doubt it will return. I've still got a book marked in dual pricing (25/- & £1.25)

It has made me quite comfortable with both systems. Just as happy with acres and poles as hectares and square metres. Given that my science education was in SI, I'm probably haziest at some of the cgs units, ergs & dynes, but I used Stokes at w*** and am obviously familiar with calories :D
User avatar
Badger's mate
Registered
 
Posts: 640
Joined: January 12th, 2017, 8:47 pm
Location: Ware

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby StokeySue » November 26th, 2019, 10:15 am

I was a Saturday girl in Woolworths on decimal da. I still bear the scars. :lol:

As a scientist of a certain age I learned to do everything in at least two systems of measurement. I was seldom confused but I certainly confused other people
Currency, obviously

Distance in miles (still in the UK - why?) but in km all over Europe and often elsewhere

Temperatures - cooking, medical, weather, lab work in Fahrenheit then Celsius; I read a murder mystery recently in which the young Norwegian pathologist working in London recorded cadaveric temperature in F to estimate time of death. Burst out laughing - she would never have owned a F thermometer, the author must have taken it from an old copy of Simpson.

Used to do a lot of dressmaking and soft furnishings in an awful muddle of inches and centimetres (it always fitted though)

Then in science I learned SI (Système Internationale) at school because we were in the Nuffield science pilot. Then at uni they still worked in cgs (centimetre, gram, second) never did grasp the whole ergs and dynes thing, and found most of my lab colleagues worked in a mess of cgs and mks (metre,kilogram, second which isn’t quite SI)

My parent were both pharmacists and started out with prescriptions written in medical Latin and apothecaries measure (drachms, minims, scruples etc). I can read the Latin (sort of) but the only unit I know offhand is that a medicine spoon (teaspoon) is 60 minims.
Sue
User avatar
StokeySue
Registered
 
Posts: 21878
Joined: April 21st, 2010, 5:18 pm
Location: Stoke Newington (London)

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby suffolk » November 26th, 2019, 10:22 am

We ‘went decimal’ two months after I married so I quickly got used to shopping with the new coinage, and as my job then involved typing solicitors’ accounts and invoices I soon got used to that side of it too.

I am happy to buy fabric etc by the metre and can visualize the amounts I need. What I struggle with is buying meat/fish/veg etc in metric amounts. Thank goodness for kind butchers, fishmongers and :kneel: greengrocers
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
User avatar
suffolk
Registered
 
Posts: 40643
Joined: August 11th, 2010, 6:47 am
Location: East Anglia, surprisingly!

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby Badger's mate » November 26th, 2019, 1:38 pm

What I struggle with is buying meat/fish/veg etc in metric amounts


I still work out how much is needed in lbs then convert. Or (like you Suffs) just ask the butcher for a pound of mince...

The first issue that caused me grief was converting shellfish from pints into kilos. I hadn't got the faintest idea how much a quart of mussels weighed. :D

One thing that I noticed about laboratory temperatures, apart from them changing from F to C, was that 'room temperature' changed over my working life. The old convention 60F in some earlier British Standards became 20C in newer or European versions, and 25C in later ones, particularly US standards that were adopted internationally.
User avatar
Badger's mate
Registered
 
Posts: 640
Joined: January 12th, 2017, 8:47 pm
Location: Ware

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby earthmaiden » November 26th, 2019, 1:57 pm

It's measurements which really get me - I have no idea what inches are in centimetres. I know there are 'easy' ways of remembering - I have been told umpteen times, but my brain doesn't work like that. As a child you learn to visualise - a foot is a ruler, 1/4lb is a bag of sweets etc. That all went out of the window with the changes to decimal and I think it is harder to adopt new visualisations when grown up. If faced with visualising a yard or metre, I always think of a table we had which was exactly a yard square and go from there :oops: :oops:
User avatar
earthmaiden
Registered
 
Posts: 12723
Joined: April 2nd, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Wiltshire. UK

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby patpoyntz » November 26th, 2019, 2:12 pm

My son and his wife have just had their first baby...7lb 9 oz....that means nothing to them and they are puzzled as to why baby weights are still routinely given in imperial measures. I told them it was because older grandmas like me can’t really visualise a baby in kilograms. Though when I was at work many moons ago, premature or very small babies were always weighed in grams
Cooking wise I have now adjusted to metric for most things, but am still a bit flummoxed by liquid measures.
patpoyntz
Registered
 
Posts: 781
Joined: February 9th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby miss mouse » November 26th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Badger's mate wrote:converting shellfish from pints into kilos


Some places still sell them like that, I hate it, what a fantastic way to cheat the customer.
miss mouse
Registered
 
Posts: 3582
Joined: July 19th, 2010, 8:32 pm
Location: under the arbutus trees

Re: Ingredients that confuse.

Postby Seatallan » November 26th, 2019, 2:31 pm

suffolk wrote: What I struggle with is buying meat/fish/veg etc in metric amounts.


Me too. And weighing ingredients. If a recipe calls for 80z of flour I can more or less estimate it without the need of the scales but in kilograms I have absolutely no idea...
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
User avatar
Seatallan
Registered
 
Posts: 10099
Joined: April 1st, 2010, 3:28 pm
Location: Cumbria

PreviousNext

Return to The Kitchen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest