Pot roast chicken

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Pot roast chicken

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » November 22nd, 2019, 8:56 pm

Hi wildies

Can anyone share any ideas for a pot roast chicken please?

What else do you put in the pot and how do you usually serve it afterwards?

I’m leaving OH in charge of it tomorrow afternoon while I’m out at a kids party and could do with some inspiration. Thanks x
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Re: Pot roast chicken

Postby suffolk » November 22nd, 2019, 9:17 pm

I make a bed of onions and herbs and also put onions and herbs in the chicken cavity. I rub the chicken with oil or butter, salt and herbs and put it on top of the onions.

I cut peeled potatoes into chunks and put in a bowl with large chunks of prepared carrots/parsnip/squash/celeriac ... whatever I’ve got, and slather with oil, salt & pepper and some peeled garlic and give them a good rub and arrange them around the chicken ... pop the lid on and leave then to chunter away slowly.

When cooked I use the resulting liquor to make a sauce (reduce and stir in butter or cream) and it’s delicious served with any green veg but especially braised peas & lettuce.
Last edited by suffolk on November 22nd, 2019, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 22nd, 2019, 9:32 pm

Don’t often pot roast chicken, pot when I do it’s usually a form of chicken with 40 cloves of garlic
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » November 23rd, 2019, 9:37 am

Thank you! Will go along that route then, with plenty of garlic too.

My daughter requested rice with it so we might serve it with a herby pilaf as well as the sauce and braised veg as suggested.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby wargarden » November 24th, 2019, 5:55 am

what do see as the difference between a pot roasted chicken and roasted chicken.
wargarden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 24th, 2019, 9:01 am

Pot roast is in a closed pot with veg and liquid. Roast is open to the oven without liquid but sometimes some fat and goes brown and crispy on top.

I also love chicken cooked in a slow cooker with just lemon juice added and some garlic in the cavity. You don't need more liquid as it creates plenty. I like the breast cold, the juice for stock or gravy and the rest for whatever I choose. It is probably the thing I like the slow cooker for most if all.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » November 24th, 2019, 11:26 am

chicken cooked in a slow cooker with just lemon juice added and some garlic in the cavity.

That's pretty much my favourite way to cook pheasant or partridge, although I also put a few bits of veg (carrot, onion, leek, celeriac) underneath and liquidise them with the juices to make a gravy. :chops:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 24th, 2019, 11:29 am

That’s how I cook pheasant :chops: ... but I like my partridge pink :chops:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » November 24th, 2019, 11:39 am

Mrs B would have an attack of the vapours if I served her pink partridge. :o

We brought a lovely brace back from Norfolk last month.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 24th, 2019, 11:43 am

:lol: Lots more partridge about in Norfolk and north Suffolk nowadays ... lovely to see large coveys in the teens and even twenties in the Waveney valley :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » November 24th, 2019, 11:46 am

We saw a nice covey of greys at Holkham :D
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 24th, 2019, 12:20 pm

:tu: :D There’s a lot more greys about now ... when I was growing up Pa and his friends wouldn’t shoot the grey English Partridge.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 24th, 2019, 2:16 pm

suffolk wrote:That’s how I cook pheasant

Oooh yes! :hungry:

Have a hankering for pheasant today. There's lots of pheasant shooting roundabouts. Was in one of our local pubs yesterday when gamekeeper hoved into view with a wonderful brace of pheasants for the pub landlord. I was extremely jealous...
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 24th, 2019, 2:38 pm

I have a compromise position on the chicken, i have a Pyrex roaster and if I put something moist such as a halved lemon in the cavity it comes out more or less pot roasted, but with nicely tanned skin if I just take the lid off for the last 10 minutes or so

I’ll have to see if I can get some decent pheasant, the last couple I’ve had from the butcher haven’t been hung enough for my taste, while I don’t want it high I like to know I’m eating game and not a slightly disappointing guinea fowl.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » November 24th, 2019, 9:15 pm

I use a pyrex roaster for chickens and guinea fowl. I could do the same with pheasants in all probability, but just in case it's a tough old one, slow cooking is safer.

The roaster was also my preferred casserole dish in the past, these days as often as not I use the IP.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby wargarden » November 24th, 2019, 10:39 pm

thanks given this year i made deal with farmer who raises peacock and other unusual fowl;
so I may have some really interesting fowl to pot roast for thanksgiving.
wargarden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 25th, 2019, 10:06 am

Badger's mate wrote:I use a pyrex roaster for chickens and guinea fowl. I could do the same with pheasants in all probability, but just in case it's a tough old one, slow cooking is safer.

The roaster was also my preferred casserole dish in the past, these days as often as not I use the IP.

I always used a 'Chicken Brick' for chicken/guinea fowl, but gave that away to sis as well as off loading a stove top pressure cooker and (cheap) slow cooker when I got my IP :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » November 25th, 2019, 11:21 am

I replaced my slow cooker when I got the IP but still use the stove top pressure cooker as a big saucepan. The IP sits in the cupboard where the slow cooker used to live, at least it doesn't take up more space than before.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 25th, 2019, 12:13 pm

For pot roast chicken I usually use either the Crockpot or an enamelled lidded chicken roaster.
suffolk
Registered

Return to The Kitchen