Felicity's Pumpkin Pie

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Felicity's Pumpkin Pie

Postby Pepper Pig » November 27th, 2019, 3:08 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Felicity's Pumpkin Pie

Postby StokeySue » November 27th, 2019, 4:08 pm

I’ve never put maple syrup in mine, it’s probably nice but I feel it might overwhelm the pumpkin?

Ina uses canned pumpkin, on the grounds they control the water content so you get the expected result. She has a point
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 27th, 2019, 4:24 pm

I like it with maple syrup, it adds depth of flavour. I think most American cooks recommend canned pumpkin for the same reason.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 27th, 2019, 8:17 pm

I have some rather out of date cans of pumpkin. Should I use them and give it a go? (Do you recomend Ina's, Sue?) I do really like pumpkin pie. I also hae some maple syrup that needs eating up (in the past it's gone mouldy...) I gather, though, that Konditor and Cook are doing it at the moment :) (There's one near work.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » November 29th, 2019, 3:35 pm

Pumpkin pie is sweet, so maple syrup might just be an interesting option.

However, like bread & butter pudding, jam rolypoly and rice pudding , I find pumpkin pie totally underwhelming. It´s one of those dishes where I wonder " why bother?"
But that´s just me. Give me a plateful of anchovies any day :terrified: :terrified: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 1st, 2019, 10:51 am

Surprised to see that Juliet Sear topped her pumpkin pie with meringue this morning.

I think, karadekoolaid, that it was something made from a glut of local ingredients that became a tradition. I agree that when we have so many options, it wouldn't be my first choice (of that kind of thing it would be pecan pie!). Actually, JS said that originally, in the 1600s, the filling was poured back into the pumpkin skin and baked. That makes sense.

Not sure about the meringue though, it seems pointless on most 'pies' apart from looking quite nice.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » December 1st, 2019, 2:14 pm

As someone with a sweet tooth, I’d agree with KKA, find pumpkin pie very underwhelming though I do love bread and butter pudding . One of those dishes I could eat a portion of if served but would never choose it offa menu or cook myself
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 1st, 2019, 2:39 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I have some rather out of date cans of pumpkin. Should I use them and give it a go? (Do you recomend Ina's, Sue?) I do really like pumpkin pie. I also hae some maple syrup that needs eating up (in the past it's gone mouldy...) I gather, though, that Konditor and Cook are doing it at the moment :) (There's one near work.)

Give it a go - cans don't really go out of date. I used some canned confit duck legs a few weeks ago which were best before some time in 2012 - still here to tell the tale!

I've not enjoyed any of the pumpkin pies I've tried in the past, but I think it was the spice combination which didn't work for me rather than the texture of the pie filling or the flavour of the pumpkin.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » December 1st, 2019, 3:37 pm

Canned food with the seal intact should be safe, but sometimes texture and flavour suffer
Can’t think that will be a problem with mashed pumpkin
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Kitchen