ready mixed spices - quantity question

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

ready mixed spices - quantity question

Postby Herbidacious » December 2nd, 2019, 8:13 pm

I have a number of little jars of German spice mixes (Ankerkraut brand). Logic tells me that I can match a quantity of one of these for the total quantity of individual spices in a recipe i.e. if a recipe asks for 1/4 tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 of nutmeg and 1/2 of ginger, say, I can use 1 tsp of mixed spices instead. But, I know that armchair culinary science doesn't always work. Obviously it's going to depend on the brand etc. but what do people think? As a general principle, is this sound?
I know I will just have to experiment at the end of the day, but would like people's opinion/the benefit of others' wisdom.
I am a bit of rookie baker.
Herbidacious
Registered

Re: ready mixed spices - quantity question

Postby Suelle » December 2nd, 2019, 8:26 pm

I would say your logic is correct, with one proviso - check that any spice usually used in small quantities isn't a major constituent of your mix, otherwise it might overwhelm. I'm thinking of cloves in particular.

Where the logic falls down is when scaling recipes up or down - scaling the spices doesn't always work as well as you'd expect.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » December 2nd, 2019, 8:34 pm

Thanks, Suelle.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 2nd, 2019, 9:46 pm

I agree with to t’other Sue, it should add up

Not being a fan of cinnamon I often play around with proportions but leave the total amount of spice the same
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 2nd, 2019, 10:08 pm

Ok will have a go. Biscuits first. I have some exciting combinations.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » December 3rd, 2019, 12:21 pm

i had a related dilemma over pickling spices for one of the recent chutneys i made.
the delia recipe called for a quantity of pickling spice. as i didn't have any i looked to see if she had a recipe - not. i found a decent looking one on allrecipies (i think it was there) and it made a bit over the quantity i needed. i decided that i couldn't just put less in as i would have had to hunt through for the cloves, break off a portion of the cinnamon and faff about more than i could be arsed to do so i just put the lot in and now have a good and spicy chutney. which is fine by us.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 3rd, 2019, 2:34 pm

I just noticed that most of my spice mixes have cloves in them :scared: I hope it's subtle.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 3rd, 2019, 4:11 pm

I'm sure it'll be fine ;). You've reminded me of those sweets called Clove Satins which were overpoweringly clove. Did anyone really like them?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 3rd, 2019, 5:12 pm

I've never liked cloves, then after a dentist gave me some oil of cloves to put on something in my mouth and it was agony... am wondering if this was my stomach telling me something my body knew. Prorbably not!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » December 3rd, 2019, 7:16 pm

earthmaiden wrote: sweets called Clove Satins [...] Did anyone really like them?

i've never heard of them - the corner post office (unofficial school tuck shop) didn't have them as far as i remember.
but it was a pretty shop.

old cpo.jpg
old cpo.jpg (34.37 KiB) Viewed 122 times
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 3rd, 2019, 7:58 pm

A very pretty shop! The clove sweets seemed to be enjoyed by the elderly along with things like Winter Mixture and strong cough sweets.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » December 3rd, 2019, 10:44 pm

Herbi, it'll turn out fine. I make the Blessed Delia's caramelised apple tart (a short pastry version of Tart Tatin) - on one occasion I used what I thought was cinnamon but realised too late it was five-spice powder. It was perfectly good, just slightly different. It works equally well with mixed spice. Different spice combinations, but all quite sympathetic to the final dish.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » December 4th, 2019, 4:42 am

Herbie: a little bit more, a little bit less; to be honest, I wouldn´t worry too much. First of all, because I absolutely believe that EXACT quantities of spices ( which are always in tiny proportions) are often exaggerated; and secondly, because ready-made spice mixtures begin to lose their aroma the very day they are prepared.
Spices which can be exceedingly overpowering? Cloves, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Cardamom, black pepper.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 4th, 2019, 9:48 am

Pretty tuck shop

I do remember clove flavoured sweets, I think they were one of those sold by the chemist in little round tins and refill packets, and were iirc pink. On the same stand as barley sugar twists, travel sweets, mints and black currant jujubes.

What put me off cloves was their appearance in school apple pie in numbers large enough to constructed a choking hazard. I don’t generally see why people want to attack fresh fruit (some examples mat have been dried apple) with spices
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 4th, 2019, 10:08 am

I like cloves. I like the aniseed flavour they have. Roast gammon/ham wouldn't be the same without cloves and I always include a few in a muslin bag (along with star anise and cinnamon sticks) when I make marmalade.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 4th, 2019, 11:11 am

I love aniseed. They don't taste like that to me :o ! I hate the smell too.

A friend always hated mushrooms as a child - she developed a life-threatening allergy (? had to carry an epipen) to them in teenagehood. Maybe the body does 'know'...
Although I do have a problem with essential oils. It feels like my throat is closing up when poerson at work uses lavendar oil. Similar rose geranium oil. (The smell of which I also loathe.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 4th, 2019, 11:43 am

Cloves, which I no longer object to in moderation, don’t resemble aniseed to me either.

Tarragon is often said to smell of aniseed, but quite different to me. Always hated it, and when I tried to get used to it discovered I was in fact mildly allergic to it, so my extreme reaction to the “flavour” may have been to a mild stinging of the tongue.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 4th, 2019, 12:00 pm

I think your colleague may be over using the oil Herbi! It should only be used in small drops.

Yes, clove sweets were in little tins but also sold from jars. We had them in our shop. It is interesting that in the UK cloves were de rigueur with stewed apple but cinnamon the thing with apple in the USA. Now we're global it's just a matter of choice of course. I think that a small amount of ground clove in certain dishes enhances rather than spoils but I don't like them much when they are noticeable. I like aniseed.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 4th, 2019, 12:17 pm

Not sure EM. I think I am over sensitive to it. I do have a weird, and I think, quite acute, sense of smell. I can often taste smells. (I suspect it might be hormally related as it fluctuates and peaks every now and again.)

Whenever she does it, everyone goes 'Oh what a lovely smell'. Meanwhile I have an instant sore throat and can taste the damned stuff.
Herbidacious
Registered

Return to The Kitchen