Felicity's Mince Pie Masterclass

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Felicity's Mince Pie Masterclass

Postby Pepper Pig » December 4th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Felicity's Mince Pie Masterclass

Postby StokeySue » December 4th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Not really a faff since it includes making the mince meat. At least no horrors like puff pastry or cream cheese or frangipani, I’d possibly skip the orange flower water and use a food processor

As far as I am concerned mince pies contain a straightforward, dark, rich, mincemeat in a rich short pastry case. Anything else is a travesty probably dreamed up by someone in M&S marketing department while drunk on cheap sherry :lol: :lol: :lol:

Felicity’s pretty much fit the bill, a bit of almond or orange in the pastry is fine.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 4th, 2019, 1:53 pm

I wouldn’t be doing the pies and the mincemeat in one go though. In the days I made mincemeat it was done at least a month before.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 4th, 2019, 2:21 pm

True, but I think she’s probably correct in assuming that most of her readers won’t be that far ahead

Mum used to make cake and mincemeat at half term, which means I did it under supervision. Then the first pies were eaten on bonfire night and the rest of the mincemeat left to mature. I kept to that schedule when I did “proper” cake
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » December 4th, 2019, 2:27 pm

i had a couple of homemade mince pies last weekend. they weren't good. one had the minimum of mincemeat in that you could get away with calling it a mince pie - a bit thick but bearable pastry. the other had a reasonable amount of mincemeat in (almost) but thick, overworked pastry. i removed the lid, took a bite - quickly included the rest of the filling and surreptitiously ditched the solid casing.
they actually made supermarket ones look good.
scullion
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 4th, 2019, 2:40 pm

I've discovered a foolproof recipe which uses mincemeat to make something better (IMO) than mince pies, and it's quicker too:

https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2019/ ... emeat.html

Very variable too: leave out the nuts, add chopped marzipan to the topping, use cranberry sauce in place of apricot jam, add extra dried fruit of choice (soaked first if very dry).
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » December 4th, 2019, 3:39 pm

They look lovely Suelle. I've got a recipe for a cake which uses a jar of mincemeat as the fruit/spice element which was always useful for leftovers.

I rather like the look of the fancy ones in the link - they look fun to make. I like to use an enriched shortcrust which comes out slightly crisp. I have tried marzipan layers but think it gets lost with the flavour of the mincemeat.

I used to make something called a Mincemeat Tranche too. It was a sort of large mince pie made in the shape of a Christmas tree and served sliced hot with custard :).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 4th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Felicity (on Instagram) has discovered Mince Pie flavoured frosting in Waitrose.

The horror! :sprout: :shock:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » December 4th, 2019, 5:17 pm

We had mince pie ice cream one year , very underwhelming. I don’t really like mince pies at all . My mum had some the other day with a crumble topping instead of a pastry lid, which she said was nice
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 4th, 2019, 7:09 pm

I’m seriously of topping some of mine with marzipan stars this year ... just for a change.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » December 4th, 2019, 7:22 pm

patpoyntz
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 5th, 2019, 11:53 am

I have never yet eaten a shop bought mince pie that I like ... they all seem soooooo sickly sweet :sprout:

I either make my own mincemeat from scratch or add stuff to shop bought, but like to make my own pastry. This year, my mincemeat is heavily laced with Di Sarronno and I have also added some (leftover) ground almonds, so I may try Felicity's pastry this year.

I like the look of all the other suggestions too :chops: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » December 5th, 2019, 2:05 pm

I honestly can´t remember whether mum made her own mince, or whether it was bought.
I made mince pies in Venezuela once; they went down like wet Bank Holiday. No-one liked them. Ah well...
I always imagine a light, but buttery pastry and a booze-soaked filling which, while sweet (because of the dried fruit, etc) is not sickly.
Whether Felicity´s effort is like that, I will never know. F.or the mincemeat, however, I´d just bung everything in the food processor, bottle it, and feed it with rum.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 5th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Using a small proportion of SR flour, or a little baking powder, will lighten the pastry. Dan Lepard uses 1/4 teaspoon baking powder to 300g flour.

I often use all SR flour for mince pies as I think the pies keep better - the pastry doesn't harden after a day or two but stays soft and crumbly.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 6th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Suelle wrote:I often use all SR flour for mince pies as I think the pies keep better - the pastry doesn't harden after a day or two but stays soft and crumbly

thanks for that tip Suelle ... I need to make some for Wednesday, but really only have time either Sunday morning, or Monday .. :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 6th, 2019, 9:10 pm

I rather like the mince pies that Costa sell.

I made mince meat tiffin last year, to more or less good effect. Probably won't be bothering this year, though!

My friend uses just SF flour in her pastry for them. Her mother once did it by mistake and preferred it.

I like the look of that tart, Patpoyntz.

I just bought two quite small jars of mince meat from Sainsbury's. One traditional, and one not.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 6th, 2019, 9:54 pm

My mother used to use SR flour in pastry, but personally I prefer a firmer, more biscuity crust.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » December 8th, 2019, 9:46 am

These could be an alternative to the o mince pies, I loved them when I lived in Scotland. A drop of brandy or rum could be added to the current mixture.

https://bakingwithgranny.co.uk/recipe/f ... -cemetery/

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 8th, 2019, 9:55 am

northleedsbhoy wrote:These could be an alternative to the o mince pies, I loved them when I lived in Scotland. A drop of brandy or rum could be added to the current mixture.

Cheers

Ooh, I love a good fly pie!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 8th, 2019, 12:32 pm

What a nice website! I like the look of the finger of fudge tray-bake too.... :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 8th, 2019, 12:57 pm

StokeySue wrote:My mother used to use SR flour in pastry, but personally I prefer a firmer, more biscuity crust.

I do too, generally, but mince pies are the exception.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 8th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Any of our bakers online ?

I have weighed out the ingredients, mixed the SR flour and butter, then added the sugar and almonds, but stopped short of adding the egg yolks as I am wondering if this pastry will keep in the fridge until tomorrow ... will the delay in baking using SR flour affect the finished product (as it does when using SR flour for cakes ) ?
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 8th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Busybee wrote:
northleedsbhoy wrote:These could be an alternative to the o mince pies, I loved them when I lived in Scotland. A drop of brandy or rum could be added to the current mixture.

Cheers

Ooh, I love a good fly pie!

BB

I love squashed fly biscuits!
KC2
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 8th, 2019, 1:35 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Any of our bakers online ?

I have weighed out the ingredients, mixed the SR flour and butter, then added the sugar and almonds, but stopped short of adding the egg yolks as I am wondering if this pastry will keep in the fridge until tomorrow ... will the delay in baking using SR flour affect the finished product (as it does when using SR flour for cakes ) ?

If you've got time, I'd add the egg yolks tomorrow, then briefly refrigerate the dough again before using.

If you're really short of time, go ahead and mix the pastry today - I think you'll still see some benefit from using SR flour.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 8th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Thanks Suelle .... In the end I didn't have time to carry on today, so the dry ingredients are still awaiting the addition of egg yolks :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 8th, 2019, 11:00 pm

Talking of mincement, DD and I had a snack lunch at a lovely chocolate shop in Horsham https://www.chococo.co.uk/our-chocolate-houses/horsham. They presented varying chocolates with each hot drink served. Mine was a mincemeat flavoured one, the flavour was quite subtle and there was raisin or something in it - it was absolutely delicious.

I'm with StokeySue and like a firmer, more biscuity crust with mince pies but I can see it might work if you like them slightly soft. I would be interested to know how to achieve a similar crust to that of shop bought ones even though I'm not overly fond of it. My mother would only serve them made on the same day, preferably still warm - that's what I thought the nursery rhyme 'Dame get up and bake your pies' referred to as we always made them early on Christmas morning! MIL used SR for all pastry - and Yorkshire puds :( .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 9th, 2019, 3:10 pm

I have to say the mince pies have turned out delicious :tu: :chops: :chef: I only know this as I had to try one ;) :oops: I didn't have any orange water, so just made up the liquid with water and I did a tweak of my own and used 30% lard and 70% butter. In hindsight I should have rolled the pastry a bit thinner. I have only made up half the pastry and the first batch of pies are just a tad too thick, but the taste, texture and crumbliness is perfect. I rolled out the remaining pastry much thinner and constructed one of those flan/pie things that Ina Garton does with a round of pastry piled with sliced apple and then the sides brought over all round .... I spread first with some of the Plum Jam I bought the other week, then a layer of mincemeat, topped with chopped apple and sprinkled with sliced almonds and sugar . Oooh :hi5: :hungry: a quarter of this has already been demolished and all in the cause of science ;) :lol: :P Diet ? What Diet ? :lol: :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 9th, 2019, 3:37 pm

Your freeform pie sounds delicious, Patsy. Glad the pastry worked out to your liking too!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Oat » December 9th, 2019, 3:42 pm

I love your sort of science Patsy :hungry:
Oat
Registered

Return to The Kitchen