Did I do the right thing?

Out of the main bustle of the Coffee shop this is where people gather to share recipes and tips/tricks.

Did I do the right thing?

Postby Gruney » December 5th, 2019, 3:41 pm

This is what I decided to do with my spare chicken thighs.

Method
Rub the chicken pieces with the lemon half. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the olive oil into a soup plate and add a squeeze of lemon juice and some salt. Dredge the chicken pieces in the mixture, then cover the plate and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
To make the tomato sauce. Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan and add the shallots, garlic, rosemary, lemon rind and the chilli. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the passata and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
While the sauce is cooking, heat the remaining olive oil with the butter in a frying pan. Once the butter foam begins to subside, add the chicken pieces and brown them well on all sides. Pour in the wine and boil for 1 minute. 50g butter - 150ml white wine.
Transfer the chicken pieces to a casserole dish, sprinkle with salt and pepper and pour over the tomato sauce. Cover and cook in the oven for 1 hour, or until the juices of the chicken run clear. Serve with boiled rice or couscous.

I read the recipe several times, and it looked pretty straightforward - it was off the BBC Food pages, so I thought it would be pretty reliable. https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chic ... role_49479

The final sentence has now got me worried - "transfer the chicken pieces etc." - not "the contents of the frying pan". I did just that, but should I really have thrown away all that butter and wine? When I saw how much there was, it seemed too profligate to be true.Did I do the right thing?
Gruney
Registered

Re: Did I do the right thing?

Postby StokeySue » December 5th, 2019, 4:04 pm

I'd be inclined to use the wine and butter mixture, but agree it's oddly worded, as it just gets left hanging
I really don't see the point of just bathing the chicken in the wine for a minute, and if you deglaze, i.e. pour wine into the pan in which you have fried, it is usually so that you can get the flavour of all the nice golden bits adhering to the pan.

Bad subediting? Perhaps it originally said "transfer the chicken pieces and all of the juices"

Never made an Anna del Conte recipe, though I know Nigella is a fan.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » December 5th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Thanks Sue. I'm glad it wasn't just me being stupid. Well I followed the instructions literally - let's see what I can salvage. What convinced me was the phrase - "sprinkle with salt and pepper" - it gave the image of just the chicken pieces.
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 5th, 2019, 4:23 pm

Gruney wrote:What convinced me was the phrase - "sprinkle with salt and pepper" - it gave the image of just the chicken pieces.

Yes, that bit did make me wonder a bit.
There's something slightly wrong,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 5th, 2019, 5:24 pm

I think you've done what the recipe told you to do, but it does seem strange to waste the pan juices - perhaps they could have been reduced and added to the sauce. If the sauce seems very thick, but you like the recipe enough to use it again, you could do that next time, but it would also change the flavour of the sauce.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » December 5th, 2019, 6:45 pm

I agree with Sue and Suelle, wine is usually used to deglaze the pan and should pick up any tasty bits. It would be odd to waste all that wine and butter. I think errors with recipes on the BBC site have been noticed before.

I think the dish will be nice all the same - maybe add the extras if you decide it's nice enough to make again.
earthmaiden
Registered

Return to The Kitchen